The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2011, 12:20 AM   #1
bradford

Building a 383. Issues..

So, I tried to drop a used engine in my truck to save some money but it ended up having a cracked ring or something.
So, I have a LT1 383 Stroker at my house in Texas that was built but never installed in anything.
Its got an all forged Callis stroker kit in it. All forged. The rotating kit alone was right at $2K. Its got -14cc pistons.

I have a one piece rear main block here that I'm thinking of boring out and dropping the internals of that LT1 in it.

While its getting bored, Im gonna get them to put the 4 bolt splayed caps on it and align hone.
I was thinking of some rebuilt Vortec heads but then I found some brand new aluminum heads for $550 shipped and figured that it would be about the same for the purchase of used heads and getting them rebuilt. http://www.kmjent.com/cart/product.p...&cat=17&page=1
Or these for more http://www.kmjent.com/cart/product.p...0&cat=0&page=1

My question or issue is, I dont want to build a flat out hot rod because this truck is supposed to be my daily driver. I want it to be a "sensible beast".
I've already got a nice new "mid" rise intake and new 600 edelbrock carb as well as new 65k dizzy and new headers.

What should I do with this beast of a stroker kit? The pistons are pump gas friendly with a 64cc combustion chamber head so thats good I guess.
I dont know what cam to use in it. I'm struggling here because it almost seems like a waste to build a 350-400hp motor that has a 700hp bottom end in it. Ya know? I guess it would last a long time.....

My other issue is, my truck is a manual 4 speed sm465. I just put a new clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing in it. Will that clutch and transmission hold 400HP???
Is my carb going to be too small too?

Last edited by bradford; 09-15-2011 at 12:27 AM.
bradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
Lee H

Re: Building a 383. Issues..

First off don't waste your money on splaying a DD unless you have lots of disposable income burning a hole in you pocket. I'd say this even if you were shooting for a 500 horse motor. Call comp cams and or some other cam company and let the recommend a cam for you. Be honest with what you want and you'll end up with an engine that fits your needs. As far as the rotating assemble, sense you already have it use it. You can always change out the top end later.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
webfoot

Is that block you have a roller motor?

600 cfm might be pushing it. I run a 650DP on my "hot rod" sbc 383 chevelle and it seems to do OK, it shifts at around 6000. Throw that stuff in, skip the splayed caps. If it is balanced well and tuned correctly it'll live a long happy life.

I don't think you can break an sm465.

1970 K-20 4-speed, factory AC.
webfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
bradford

yeah thanks guys.
I was actually supposed to be gone right now to go home to my wife in Texas which I havent seen in almost a year but I got a new tire on my bike this morning and hit a greasy spot in the road and wrecked it about 20 foot out of the shop parking lot.
I know what I'm doing on a bike. Im a Motorcycle safety Foundation Instructor. I honestly dont know what I did wrong. At the most I was going 15-20 MPH and it slid out from under me pulling out of the parking lot. I'm not a newbie for sure. I have 40K miles on the bike, including over 200 students trained with it.
I'm so screwed right now.
My bike is more than likely totaled. It needs new everything and its a Triumph Sprint ST with all the bags that got messed up.
I will see what it takes to get this thing ont he road as is and then get home to see the wife and bring that motor home.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
Pyrotechnic

No reason to tear that motor apart.

They make a LT1 intake that will take a carb and distributor. You can easily have the motor running for much less than building a new one and it will bolt right in to the truck.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-24502592/

You will need the belt/accessory setup off an LT1, but with so many LT1's made an everyone going crazy over the LS1 stuff right now it should be easy to find and cheap. It's serpentine too if your truck doesn't already have it, which is a nice upgrade.

Even with both of these expenses, you're still well under what it would cost to salvage that motor and build another.

If you have a little money to spend, it's not tough to fuel inject it and use the stock intake. Get rid of the optispark in the process and move to a wasted spark or coil per plug ignition setup.

Last edited by Pyrotechnic; 09-15-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:52 PM   #6
bradford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
No reason to tear that motor apart.

They make a LT1 intake that will take a carb and distributor. You can easily have the motor running for much less than building a new one and it will bolt right in to the truck.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-24502592/

You will need the belt/accessory setup off an LT1, but with so many LT1's made an everyone going crazy over the LS1 stuff right now it should be easy to find and cheap. It's serpentine too if your truck doesn't already have it, which is a nice upgrade.

Even with both of these expenses, you're still well under what it would cost to salvage that motor and build another.

If you have a little money to spend, it's not tough to fuel inject it and use the stock intake. Get rid of the optispark in the process and move to a wasted spark or coil per plug ignition setup.
yeah the GMPP intake costs 300 bucks alone then having to find a junker LT1 to get the accessories off of which would be another 150 for brakets and another 150 for everything else (used) then figure it out.

IDK guys. My life sucks. Im about to call it quits and buy new car and go further in debt.....