The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2021, 10:47 AM   #1
03BlkZ

Carpet installation

I will be installing my carpet final in my truck this next week. I currently having it just laying in the cab so it can kind of unwrinkle. I plan to put some dynamat down before and wo Derek do you use a spray adhesive to glue the carpet down or just let it lay loose. The seat, seat belts and door seals should help hold it in place if left loose.
Attached Images

03BlkZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 12:34 PM   #2
MAC71Cheyenne

Re: Carpet installation

Just lays loose. It helps if you have a second pair of hands. Get it roughly in place squared up side to side, front to back. Have someone hold the opposite side you are working on then fasten down the sill plate. Smooth it out working to the other side and fasten the second silk plate. Make sure it is seated over the floor dimmer switch and seat track mounting holes.
It helps if the carpet is warmed up if you can. I used a five gallon bucket of sand for my second pair of hands. Probably isn't really necessary but it kept it from shifting around the seat anchor locations. You can also stick a screwdriver in the carpet holes down through the floor pan to line it up and hold it in place.
MAC71Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 12:42 PM   #3
03BlkZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC71Cheyenne View Post
Just lays loose. It helps if you have a second pair of hands. Get it roughly in place squared up side to side, front to back. Have someone hold the opposite side you are working on then fasten down the sill plate. Smooth it out working to the other side and fasten the second silk plate. Make sure it is seated over the floor dimmer switch and seat track mounting holes.
It helps if the carpet is warmed up if you can. I used a five gallon bucket of sand for my second pair of hands. Probably isn't really necessary but it kept it from shifting around the seat anchor locations. You can also stick a screwdriver in the carpet holes down through the floor pan to line it up and hold it in place.
Good information to know. My dad will be helping me so I have the second set of hands. The carpet doesn't have holes in it yet for dimmer or seat attachment. I guess I could lay it out, locate the hole and cut and put the bolts in just to somewhat help keep it located properly. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-30-2021, 02:35 PM   #4
MAC71Cheyenne

That should work well too. Good luck n take your time.
MAC71Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 03:27 PM   #5
cj847

If you can wait a few days and lay it out in the sun it helps. Do not glue it down. Lay it in place and mark the holes as best you can. Then, I used a heated up (with a propane torch) screwdriver or better a hot piece of round bar of about 3/8 dia. This will cut through and melt the edges so that your seat bolt threads, etc don't bind up with stray carpet fibers.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 05:11 PM   #6
RustyPile

Post deleted.. Information already posted....
RustyPile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:25 PM   #7
03BlkZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj847 View Post
If you can wait a few days and lay it out in the sun it helps. Do not glue it down. Lay it in place and mark the holes as best you can. Then, I used a heated up (with a propane torch) screwdriver or better a hot piece of round bar of about 3/8 dia. This will cut through and melt the edges so that your seat bolt threads, etc don't bind up with stray carpet fibers.
Very good idea. Thank you sir!