The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2014, 10:07 PM   #1
vancelot69

Hello from Texas!

Hey y'all, I'm Ron and I'm from just north of Ft. Worth, Texas.

I've always wanted a 1st gen Blazer, in particular a 1969 since that's what year I was born, but when I saw the 1st gen Jimmy I fell in love with the quad headlights. I finally bought a 1970 Jimmy this past April from a fella in Pittsburgh. It's got a lot of rust issues, but I don't think I got robbed.

Since I got my dream truck, I've been searching for anything I can find on 1st gen Blazers & Jimmys and found this site. I'm looking forward to getting tips and finding sheetmetal that won't break the bank.

vancelot69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:00 PM   #2
kcsa75

Re: Hello from Texas!

Welcome! C'mon in and look around. You're among friends when you're here.

Looks like you're off to a good start.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:33 PM   #3
vancelot69

Thanks!

I didn't think to mention before, but it has (I think) a 4" lift. It has blocks on both front and rear axles. Eventually I want to get a spring lift and get rid of the blocks, especially since I've heard block lifts are dangerous, especially on the front axle.

When I got it, it had 35x12.5x15's on it. The first time I drove it any distance (was driving to work, of course), a huge wad of plug material blew out of the passenger side front tire! I couldn't (still can't? lol) afford to get new tires, so I called several places before I found one that had four used oversize tires for sale for cheap. They were "only" 33x12.5x15, but it still looks good with them on it. And, it's got me to thinking that when I can finally afford to get new tires, should I go back to 35's or should I stick with the 33's since they would probably be cheaper? heh

Speaking of oversize tires, is it possible, and how hard is it, to calibrate the speedometer to be correct?

Also when I got it, the ball joints on the passenger side were practically shot, so I have replaced them and the tie rod end on that side. I haven't gotten around to doing it on the driver's side as of yet. I have the parts, just haven't had the time, been working on my motorcycle and gas tank the past couple of weekends since I did the other ball joints heh.

It also needs new shocks. I can't be sure, but I think the shocks that are on it were for stock height because they look stretched to the end of the travel.
vancelot69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:23 AM   #4
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

welcome neighbor! nice Jimmy!

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:54 PM   #5
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Hi Ron,

Welcome to the most awesome Chevy/GMC site on the planet. There is plenty of great information, parts and people that are willing to share advise with you as you go. It is truly an addiction.

Have fun with your new project,
Tom

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote