The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2009, 09:27 PM   #1
Dbrasco

Best rear suspension AIR RIDE?

Which setup would be the best for ride/performance. I will be using a ford 9 inch rear end. This will be installed on a 71 cheyenne. Has anyone use either of these kits. Any feedback or pictures would be great. Thanks Dbrasco
Attached Images

Dbrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
PBFAB.COM

Re: Best rear suspension AIR RIDE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrasco View Post
Which setup would be the best for ride/performance. I will be using a ford 9 inch rear end. This will be installed on a 71 cheyenne. Has anyone use either of these kits. Any feedback or pictures would be great. Thanks Dbrasco

The "Rear Strong Arm kit" is designed to be used with the 12 bolt rear end, and the panhard bar mount would need to be modified for your 9 inch. The second pic is more of a universal type kit. Either one might be a good option.

What are you looking to achieve? How low are you wanting to go?

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:11 AM   #3
Dbrasco

I'm not looking to lay the frame on the ground. I like the ride height of the green truck that air ride tech has. I did'nt know which would be a better ride. The one with the bags in front or behind the rear end. I want something thats going to hold up with some horsepower. Porterbuilt what do you recomend for the back with a 9 inch? Do you perfer the 9 inch over the 12 bolt? Thanks Dbrasco
Old 07-14-2009, 01:18 AM   #4
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
I'm not looking to lay the frame on the ground. I like the ride height of the green truck that air ride tech has. I did'nt know which would be a better ride. The one with the bags in front or behind the rear end. I want something thats going to hold up with some horsepower. Porterbuilt what do you recomend for the back with a 9 inch? Do you perfer the 9 inch over the 12 bolt? Thanks Dbrasco
Make sure the pic of the green truck you are referring to is the actual ride height, and not the deflated stance.

If you're plan on putting down some good power, the 9 inch is a great choice. I am also a fan of the parallel four-link with long panhard bar.

As for the sleeved bag vs. the trailing arms... they both ride nice.

We installed the triangulated four-link kit and shockwaves you posted up, on a 66 a while back, and the truck rides and handels excellent.

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 07-14-2009, 01:47 AM   #5
VA72C10
VA72C10

Of course, Porterbuilt offers more options than just ART for the front and rear to lay out....

Last edited by VA72C10; 07-14-2009 at 01:47 AM.
VA72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:32 AM   #6
Tony@AirRideTech

if it were me... I would run a 12bolt with the trailing arm kit.... more effecient rear end and you can use the factory panhard bar mounts which packages the panhard bar pretty good.
Tony@AirRideTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:08 PM   #7
Dbrasco

The green truck from air ride is the stance I want when the bags are not aired up. I have seen on here where people perfer the triangular over the parallel. Porterbuilt when you refer to a longer panhard bar with the four link where is the best place to mount it. I've seen pictures of the Fesler red truck and it looks like he used the triangular four link. Porterbuilt do you have any pictures of the 66 rear suspension you installed. Also if I wanted to run the trailing arm kit could'nt I just make me a bracket for the 9 inch so that the panhard bar would fit. Thanks for all the feedback. I'm just trying to figure out which would be the best setup. Dbrasco
Old 07-14-2009, 06:51 PM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
The green truck from air ride is the stance I want when the bags are not aired up. I have seen on here where people perfer the triangular over the parallel. Porterbuilt when you refer to a longer panhard bar with the four link where is the best place to mount it. I've seen pictures of the Fesler red truck and it looks like he used the triangular four link. Porterbuilt do you have any pictures of the 66 rear suspension you installed. Also if I wanted to run the trailing arm kit could'nt I just make me a bracket for the 9 inch so that the panhard bar would fit. Thanks for all the feedback. I'm just trying to figure out which would be the best setup. Dbrasco
A longer PHB equals less side shift over the range of suspension travel. For simplicity & mild lowering (5/7 or less), the stock GM parts w/some bags & blocks are the cost effective way to go. Since you're swapping a 9" in place of the 12-bolt, a SuperTrac bar from ECE would be a good option then there's no need for anything to be added to the rear other than the trailing arm perches.

If you like the 'engineered' look that the Strong Arm kit provides, it would be the easier to install @ home for those w/less than stellar fab skills but will cost more vs. the universal fit 4-bar (not including the labor to install since that can vary so much).

Do you plan on removing the front inner fenderwells or cutting the bed floor?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:16 AM   #9
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
If that's the look/stance you're going for, then the rear Strong Arm kit would be an easy route to take. If you go with the 9 inch, do as SCOTI suggested and go with a super trac bar from ECE, we can see if ART will discount their kit if you don't purchase it with their panhard bar (it won't work with the 9-inch).

Here's a link to the 66 I was referring to: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=211503

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Last edited by PBFAB.COM; 07-15-2009 at 02:17 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:36 AM   #10
Dbrasco

Thanks for all the info. The Rear Strong Arm kit looks like the kit I will be using. I will install different saddles for the 9 inch and then a supper trac bar from ECE that Scoti suggested. Poterbuilt thanks for all the help and that 66 looks awsome. Scoti I will be removing the inner fenderwells in the front. I'll have to fabricate something else up front. I had not planed on moving the bed floor if I do not have too. Dbrasco
Old 07-15-2009, 09:59 AM   #11
SCOTI

Quote:
Thanks for all the info. The Rear Strong Arm kit looks like the kit I will be using. I will install different saddles for the 9 inch and then a supper trac bar from ECE that Scoti suggested. Poterbuilt thanks for all the help and that 66 looks awsome. Scoti I will be removing the inner fenderwells in the front. I'll have to fabricate something else up front. I had not planed on moving the bed floor if I do not have too. Dbrasco
No cutting on the bed floor means stock truck arms, lowering blocks, a bolt-in c-section & super-trac bar will work. These items will get you low enough that the bed floor becomes the limitation.

The ART trailing arm kit is very nice but costly as well. The 4-bar kits are cheaper but if the current set-up works & your not planning on laying frame, I would opt for using the stock truck arms w/a rear 'Cool Ride' kit (or piece together what I need) & add the longer Super Trac bar style of PHB. If the budget allows, the rear Strong Arm kit does look great.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Last edited by SCOTI; 07-15-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:14 AM   #12
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
No cutting on the bed floor means stock truck arms, lowering blocks, a bolt-in c-section & super-trac bar will work. These items will get you low enough that the bed floor becomes the limitation.

The ART trailing arm kit is very nice but costly as well. The 4-bar kits are cheaper but if the current set-up works & your not planning on laying frame, I would opt for using the stock truck arms w/a rear 'Cool Ride' kit (or piece together what I need) & add the longer Super Trac bar style of PHB. If the budget allows, the rear Strong Arm kit does look great.
I'd definitely agree...if you're not planning to cut the stock bed floor, run a simple C-notch, bags right on the trailing arms and run 2" blocks so you can have more air in the bags at ride height. Unless you want a large rake, you wouldn't even need to take the inners out of the front either if you use a proper sized wheel/tire combo. Just doing bags with a 2 1/2" or 3" spindle in the front and the stock trailing arm setup will have you sitting like the green truck.

That could take your suspension budget from 4000-5000+/- with the ART front and rear components down to around 1000-1200 if you find some deals on the components like I have. Or get an accuair setup for a really slick ride height control system and have around 2000-2500 total in your setup. The blue truck below is just bags with c-notch. stock inners in front, stock bedfloor in rear with 20's.

Last edited by VA72C10; 07-15-2009 at 10:21 AM.
VA72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:18 AM   #13
SCOTI

Even matching the rears ride height, it would be a benefit to remove or raise the fronts as they will want to buzz the tires frequently (depending on overall tire height).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 07-15-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:55 AM   #14
Dbrasco

VA72C10 is that your blue truck? That is the exact look that i'm wanting. So in the back you just installed bags to replace the springs and a different trac bar. In the front I was wanting upper/lower control arms, bags, spindles. Is that whats on the blue truck? I'm wanting to run 20 inch wheels all around. What size wheels are the front/back and do you know the back spacing? Also did that truck get a mini-tub for the bed inner fenders. I suppose the truck is aired out in the pictures. Do you have any pictures at ride height. Thx Dbrasco
Old 07-15-2009, 12:23 PM   #15
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
VA72C10 is that your blue truck? That is the exact look that i'm wanting. So in the back you just installed bags to replace the springs and a different trac bar. In the front I was wanting upper/lower control arms, bags, spindles. Is that whats on the blue truck? I'm wanting to run 20 inch wheels all around. What size wheels are the front/back and do you know the back spacing? Also did that truck get a mini-tub for the bed inner fenders. I suppose the truck is aired out in the pictures. Do you have any pictures at ride height. Thx Dbrasco
Regretfully the blue truck isn't mine....I am building a longbed that will look similar though. The truck is owned by danny ewing on this site.

Wheels are 20 x 8, 5 1/4 bs front, 20 X 10 5 1/4 bs rear
tires are 255/40/20 front,29540/20 back....taller than most go trying to get low, but I really like the look with a little more meat and they'll ride nicer too!

I haven't seen any pictures posted at ride height but according to him, it sits right on the inners when aired out. No mods though to front or rear inners/tubs.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:18 PM   #16
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Everything posted above by Porterbuilt, SCOTI, and VA72C10 is super helpful info!
All stuff people need to think about, when bagging these old trucks.

The only thing I would like to add is to measure your wheels for yourself.
There are two different rearend widths from the factory. The 67-70 rearends are a different width than the 71-72 rearends, with the 71-72 rearend being about 1-1/2" wider.
I know you are thinking about using a 9-inch, so this may not apply,... but don't get caught up using wheels sizes posted by someone else. If you do,... verify them for yourself.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 07-15-2009 at 04:20 PM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:58 PM   #17
SCOTI

Another members ride w/the bed floor un-cut (floor isn't cut but the bedsides are modified for wheel width clearance) & front wheel wells un-modified. Dropped spindles & Firestone bags in front; 2" blocks on top of factory truck arms, bags, shock mounts relocated, & homemade C-sections & Super Trac bar....

255-40-20's on 20x8.5's; 295-40-20's on 20x9.5's (they might be 10's because of the soft lip).
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 07-15-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:24 PM   #18
Dbrasco

Great info about the wheels. I figured using the 9 inch I would have to make my own measurements for the wheels. Both trucks are exactly what i'm looking for. I do have one more question about using the 9 inch with the trailing arm kit. Would the housing on the 9 inch (front) be a problem with the bars top/bottom between the shock mounts be a clearance problem for the 9 inch? The front housing on the 9 inch is bigger than the 12 bolt. Dbrasco
Old 07-15-2009, 07:33 PM   #19
SCOTI

Quote:
Great info about the wheels. I figured using the 9 inch I would have to make my own measurements for the wheels. Both trucks are exactly what i'm looking for. I do have one more question about using the 9 inch with the trailing arm kit. Would the housing on the 9 inch (front) be a problem with the bars top/bottom between the shock mounts be a clearance problem for the 9 inch? The front housing on the 9 inch is bigger than the 12 bolt. Dbrasco
Tony from AirRide frequents this section so he would have an accurate answer for that question (unless another board member has the combo & can step in before then). Try sending him a PM or go to their site & ask on the technical forum.

I don't think it would be an issue from the 9" set-up I've seen on board-member 'FilmGuys' truck.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG