The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-27-2018, 07:33 AM   #1
cheap68

Bbc engine mount problem

I ran into an issue installing cpp bbc engine mounts. The bottom two holes don’t
Line up. The truck had a 350 and when comparing the stock perches to the cpp, there is a big difference in the crossmember hole location on both sides. With the cpp mounts the holes in the crossmember are not low enough. I’ve already notched the frame for clearance and I’m using the front two mounting holes on the frame. I don’t see any other option than to drill new holes? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Images

cheap68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:14 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: Bbc engine mount problem

The factory ones are right and left, are they? What cushion are they supposed to use.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:42 PM   #3
cheap68

Yes, all these pics are driver's side. The passenger's side has the same issue though. I believe the cpp brackets use a passenger car style engine mount, I havn't purchased those yet. I went to install the stands last night and run into this issue. The instructions only mention possible frame interference so I notched the frame and the top holes line up fine, but the bottom holes are way off? The instructions did mention possibly having to drill new crossmember holes on the 66 and earlier models but this is a 68? Unless it's somehow been swapped or something?
Old 05-27-2018, 12:57 PM   #4
kwmech

Hard to tell from the pictures, but the factory big block mounts push the engines rearward of the small block position about 1.5''. I think you may have the incorrect mounts. From my perspective the actual mount themselves look like they are straight down instead of being canted back.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 01:10 PM   #5
cheap68

Yeah the pictures aren't real good, I'll try and take some better ones. You may be right they may just not be the right parts from cpp, I'm definitely calling them to see if they can shed some light on it. This is the first time I've tried a big block swap so I don't know much about some of the differences but I thought by what I've read his would be pretty straight forward. Thanks for the replies.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:06 PM   #6
ZEKE68

I used stock 1972 big block motor mounts when I put the engine in my truck, and I had to drill new holes for the bottom two holes on both sides. Used the front holes on top of the frame rails. Why didn't you use the stock mounts?
Old 05-27-2018, 04:58 PM   #7
68Gold/white

I'm no expert on this deal, just say'n.

The 72 frame mounts were different from the 68-71 mounts. The 72 mounts look similar to the 73-up frame mounts. I might be wrong, but I believe all the 73-up frame mounts were the same, big block or small block.

One of the moderators here, (Locdoc) Leon, posted some pic's of all the 67-72 frame mounts sometime back.

Your frame mounts look like they might be replacements for the 72 big block mounts. Which makes it unlikely there'd be bolts holes in any year except for a 72.
I would call CPP and ask...

Not for sure if you have a picture of both sides, I think your frame mounts are RH and LH just like the 72 factory mounts were.

A fool proof, but troublesome way to make sure everything goes where it needs to go...Is to bolt the engine mount/cushions to the engine, and then bolt the frame mounts to the engine mounts, and lower the engine/trans into position. Carefully make adjustments to where everything is sitting EXACTLY where it needs to be. Mark where the holes need to be. Remove engine/trans and drill holes.

I'd be afraid of drilling holes using any other method...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:14 PM   #8
cheap68

I was going to use the tubular style and seen these and liked them, in hindsight a stock style may have been a better decision. I bet you guys are right, and these are for the wrong year. I’ll give CPP a shout as quick as I can get in touch with them. I’d definitely prefer to not have to drill new holes. Thanks guys.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:27 PM   #9
68Gold/white

I have seen at least a couple of suppliers that sell the 68-71 big block frame mounts.

I think Brothers and Cooper Restorations. If I remember, Brothers also sells the engine rubber mounts.
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:59 PM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Those mounts are for the '73 & up trucks If they were for the '72 & older you wouldn't have had to notch the frame. The '72 mounts are the clamshell type but they are different than the '73 up clamshell mounts.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:10 PM   #11
70STOVEBOLT

Get a pair of OEM or stock replacement BB engine mounts and you will be fine. They will clear headers also without a problem.

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks
Sniper EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23 lowered 2" front & rear
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:59 PM   #12
cheap68

If I can return these to cpp, I think that’s what I’ll do. I’m kinda kicking myself for not going that route in the first place. Thanks for the replies and info everyone, I greatly appreciate it!