The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2008, 08:29 AM   #1
haysonj

Unhappy Heater Valve on AC Truck

I turned on my heater for the first time yesterday and no heat. The hose out of the water pump is hot but the one returning to intake is not. My question is can the heater valve be installed backwards or do I have a bad valve. There is vacuum at the valve when I turn the controls on. Also this is a new valve,heater core and hoses. Anyone know about this before I start tearing into it. Thanks, John
Old 10-17-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: Heater Valve on AC Truck

My original was leaking (several years ago) so I replaced it with one from NAPA that has a screw-type valve that has to be opened and closed manually. Solved the working or not conundrum for me. However, it started leaking from the threaded stem.....

If the switch is sending vacuum to the vacuum chamber, then it should open the valve. It could be that the chamber is bad. There are hand-held vacuum pumps designed to test such components, so getting your hands on one would tell you if you are working with a good, or bad, valve.

Maybe the valve itself, not the vacuum chamber, is sticking and just won't open.

But, from what I remember, it should be hard to get the valve in wrong. When it mounts to the fender well, if it mounts like mine did, it's kinda obvious as to which end goes where, when you put the hoses on. The end closest to the firewall got the hose that went to the heater core. The other side got the end that went to the water pump outlet. I know that sounds simple, but it's all I got....brain damage runs in my family.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:51 PM   #3
JimKshortstep4x4

There are two different water valves for our trucks. One shuts the water off when vacuum is applied and the other turns the water on when vacuum is applied. You will want to check your valve to see if it opens or closes when vacuum is applied.

Attached for reference is the vacuum diagram for your year truck. The diagram shows vacuum as it would look for the AC operation. For heat the vacuum would be cut off to the heater valve so that it would be open when the heater is on.

Jim
Attached Images

1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC

Last edited by JimKshortstep4x4; 10-17-2008 at 06:58 PM. Reason: added wording
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

That valve is only actuated when the A/C is turned on. Check the hose temp on both sides of the valve to see if it is stuck closed, or if it is something else.
If it is hot on both sides, you have bigger problems, there is a door inside the heater box that is probably not working.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:19 AM   #5
haysonj

Thanks for all the input I found the problem. I thought the feed came from the water pump but on mine that is the return. When I put the FI on there was a sensor that went in the manifold outlet so I moved that hose to the radiator thus eliminating the flow to the heater core. I put a tee at the manifold and moved the hose back now I've got all kinds of heat. Thanks again for all the info.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:49 PM   #6
C20 Blues

First I want to say Hi,

I have been away from the boards and just started working on my truck again.

Most if not all the parts are missing for the Heater/AC units vacuum lines and wires are cut also. So I have no idea where anything needs to go. Can anyone tell me if the Vacuum Diagram in this thread will work for 70 C20. And if so what is the Vacuum Source and Control Head Vaccum Switch locations?

Thanks for any and all help.
C20 Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:53 AM   #7
Aarons72s

The diagaram above will work for you c20 blues. But I would use the later heater valve like on the 71-72 that mounts to the passenger inner fender instead of on the intake like yours. The original vacum source was a vacum t in the intake manifold right behind the carburator. But I usually just look for a full timevacum source off the carb. It is just easier. As for the location of control head vacum switch, it is on the a/c control panel inside your cab. It is controled by the defroster/ inside and outside lever on the control panel.
Here is a quick tip for you. The original system only shuts off the water with the a/c runing but if you would like to shut it off during the summer just pull the vacum line off the heater valve and plug the factory line. Then put a t in after the vacum tank and run a line straight to it. That way it cuts the water flow all summer long with or without the a/c runing.

Last edited by Aarons72s; 11-16-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:04 AM   #8
C20 Blues

Aaron,

Looks like as you were posting a reply. I Started a new thread. Thanks for the info. It's going to start getting cold here in the next few months so I want to get the heater up and running ASAP.

Thanks again.
C20 Blues is offline   Reply With Quote