The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2016, 09:44 AM   #1
big bad orange

So close to Carlisle

I really thought my buddy and i would make it this weekend to carlisle truck nationals . We left Pittsburgh about 930 on Friday morning and made our way to bald egalitarian for lunch (great restaurants named the Chill and grill).we left there full of pizza and fruit (from ways fruit farm) I started driving,but by about 20 miles down the road I needed to let my buddy drive because I could feel I was tired.I maybe got to sleep for 15 and I woke up to trouble. I could have sworn we blew a tire or that maybe a wheel bearing seized, no he hit the concrete blocker right before we got on to a bridge in New Port PA (nice little town). He ruined the front lower control arm on my saturn vue, Jamned the cv shaft again to the sway bar to the shaft is ruined (that made me laugh) and messedo up the rear tire and scratch the body up. So now the fun part begins we have to hobble this once might saturn vue off the road, to go straight I have to hold the wheel a quarter turn to the right. It's now 430 on Friday night and their is no way we can find a mechanic still open (we could do the work but I don't carry a large tool set in my commuter car). So we make the 30 miles drive slowly making are way to the days Inn north at carlisle. We are too far out to get a tow back so it looks like he is paying for all the busted part and I am going to find a beater truck on Craigslist to tow me home. We both learned so valuable lessons, I learned to not let other people drive my car and he learned (if you have younger driver let them read this) TO STAY OFF HIS %&@Ď PHONE. That's my little rant...sorry
Old 08-06-2016, 11:57 AM   #2
midniteblues

Re: So close to Carlisle

Wow that blows.

Last spring Carlisle we left early it was raining but clearing out I had 2 buddies following me we made it too the first red light 6 mi. Away I had a green lite but usually allway slow down through this intersection lucky i did a guy on a motor cycle ran his red lite and pulled out in front of me.
I slammed the brakes and we almost had a 3 truck pile up. My buddy behind me swerved right and we just clipped each others bumpers.
Almost didn't make it that day...same for the cyclists. He never even looked.
I didn't need anymore coffee after that.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 12:00 PM   #3
big bad orange

Having a very hard time finding a tow, because of the distance. I was trying to buy a truck on Craigslist but even finding a trailer is a pita.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:16 PM   #4
midniteblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad orange View Post
Having a very hard time finding a tow, because of the distance. I was trying to buy a truck on Craigslist but even finding a trailer is a pita.

I'm sure your on yer way by now. But isn't there a uhaul right up from the fair grounds.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:33 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

There were a few running driving 67-72 C/10s at the show for sale for under $3k. Too bad you didn't make it. That phone thing is serious business. We might be lucky a whole lt texting while driving, but the whole reason it's outlawed is because it only takes a second to screw up...and that could be in a very serious way. Like as bad as it gets. A vehicle needs to be controlled by it's driver at ALL times, every second. I nkow you know that, just sayin'.

I ran up with Olblue60 following me in my '72 I just got running a couple weeks ago. Still a couple bugs I wasn't sure were worked out or not, but I went for it. And that was bed loaded hauling a loaded trailer. Well, I know it isn't running too hot like I worried it might. It's basically a slow climb all the way there, with a couple mountains to cross as well. She was loaded down and I drove her like an old truck...a very happy one!

One problem I'm having is it just cranks it's butt off without a single kick once warmed up. I've gone from cooking fuel from carb, to maybe module or coil. I made no stops allong the way, but brought a module along to install while at the show. Well, were made it to Carlisle and in the haert of town on the main drag at a red light I was feeling my oats (just like the truck), went to pop it in neutral to give it a good "We are here!" rev for Olblue60 to hear, but shifting was loose and couldn't find neutral. Light turned green and I was in second. I figured the linkage rod dropped out and figured I'd just roll through town in second. Pulled up by my spot, put the brake on in gear, left running till I could make a circle to pull straight in. That left the trailer out in the isle, half blocking it, but it was set-up day. Popped the hood to let it cool before hooking the linkage back up, shot the bull with my neighbors, fixed it, got the trailer backed in, unhooked, and got the truck in it's resting place. Life is good. I haven't touched that linkage in over 5 years, so not sure why it decided to fall out now. Maybe the lift kit riding rougher? Anyway, the show went on and when I was all packed up I drove across the grounds to say good bye to a couple other vendor buddies. I got to Kevin's spot just as he was pulling out and he didn't see me. So I cut across and headed him off. I shut the truck off to walk over to his window. When I went to start, no dice! I popped the hood and walked t another friend's and helped him load up. Walked back, fired her up, and pulled out. When I stopped to fuel up I left it running and got home without a hitch. Just another day in the adventures of driving old trucks. Looking at either a coil or heated fuel (timing/carb adjustment?). Gotta get a can of starting fluid to tell that tale.

Everybody loves pictures, so here are some of us on our way up. I stopped to check the load once out on the hiway. I popped the camera backwards (without taking my eyes off the road longer than it takes to check a mirror). I figured either it was aimed right or not. I got lucky, but not the greatest pictures
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:38 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

He's back in there somewhere

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 08-09-2016, 10:25 PM   #7
big bad orange

Heading back tomorrow with a truck and trailer. Plan was to rent a trailer on Saturday but first some reason they were all rented out, oh well lol. I did end up making it to the show for a it on Saturday.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:27 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

I'm glad you at least got some time at the show for all you are going through. Good luck with the getting it home and getting the repair done. Some days you eat the bear, other days the bear eats you.

Tim