The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2017, 08:52 PM   #1
69chevytrucker

poly bushing or not to poly bushing

that is the question?
i am asking here because i have a 4th gen trans am that i am re-building,
now i have been on the z28 forum and nasty etc.
but there seems to be way too much fighting on there so i thought i would ask
the guys i know.
so i have a complete set of poly bushings for my car they are energy susp and i was wondering if poly is better then oem bushings for a new re build, eg control arm bushings sway bar torque arm , engine mount trans etc.
on the other sites guys freak out at each other some saying poly is junk some swear by it.
i know there are alot of smart builders on this site so this is the site i will trust.
thanks in advance.
69chevytrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:56 PM   #2
69chevytrucker

Re: poly bushing or not to poly bushing

wow over 70 views and no one will take the plunge and say if poly is a good choice or not
Old 01-17-2017, 06:24 PM   #3
Gokart Mozart

I'll chime. The vehicles I've been in seem to be stiffer/less flexible and a bit noisier than rubber.
Gokart Mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:43 PM   #4
midniteblues

19 yrs ago I redid my camaro with poly everything. It certainly gave the car a harsher stiffer ride, but in return it is way more positive feeling than the rubber.

You can feel alot more vibrations from the engine but not all of it like solid mounts and it being a manual car it feels so much better when clutching.

The car drives like it's on rails it goes where you steer it with VERY LITTLE body roll or deflection.

In all those years the only squeaks I ever developed are the upper and lower control arm bushings. Usually I spray some silicone on them and wipe some of that sticky dirt collecting grease on them usually every spring when I change oil and service it for the summer.

I learned along time ago it's pretty embarrassing when they squeak cause it's loud and annoying.
I didn't use the poly leaf spring isolators since new rubber onerous came with the springs but I did put the f&r eyelet bushings and poly sway bar mounts bushes in.
Pretty sure those the tie rod and ball joint boots,rag joint and exhaust hangers are the only rubber.

After blasting painting and reassembling the car I didn't put any sound deader back in it. It was a rattle box.
I recently started putting fat matting and some jute padding in it and just the little I did so far made a world of differnce.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:24 PM   #5
notsolo

The rubber bushings in my older trucks 62 and 72 were gone almost disintagrated in some places. Polyurethane is stiffer. But more durable, I Have poly under both trucks now for 20 plus years and they are still solid.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:56 PM   #6
69chevytrucker

thanks guys i got the poly kit from my wife for xmas so i think i will use most of it but i need to buy new front lower a arms anyway, because the bushing is rusted to the bolt and i had to cut them apart . new ones will come with bushings so i think i will leave them in.
i will use poly on the trans , engine ,torque arm and rear control arms and front and rear sway bars.
Name:  $_27 (7).JPG
Views: 119
Size:  48.8 KB

Name:  $_27 (5).JPG
Views: 117
Size:  57.9 KB
here is the car when i picked it up it will look a lot different when i am done with it
Old 01-24-2017, 11:17 AM   #7
midniteblues

That's a sweet car they drive and handle very nice.

A young friend of mine has a firehawk that he has put alot into, and it ripps!
His car can get quite squirrelly on regular street tires, like it's on a wet street.
But when he puts on the nitto drag radials it grabs and puts you into the seat, only if they are warm though.

I forgot to say my shock bushings on the back are rubber too.

Never gave a thought too the torque arm ,is your car a auto or manual trans?
Either way poly in your driveline and rear suspention will really help transfer your power to the wheels but in return they will create more wheel spin.

I wanted to keep the 80's high school hot rod
Look too mine.

I usually keep an eye on your gen f body's if I come across a good cheap z I would love to build a new twin too mine.

Since mine is a 81(last yr for this body) it was the first of the computer controlled camaro's.
It has had its complete harnness swapped out though and It also started life as a 231 v6 3spd manual on the floor car.
This yr. In aug. Marks 26yrs. I owned it.
And to think 3mo. After I bought it I allmost traded it for a nice 85 saab turbo....way glad I wasn't that dum! lol

Here's a few pics for ya.

Do the poly,you won't regret it.
Attached Images

'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:46 AM   #8
69chevytrucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteblues View Post
That's a sweet car they drive and handle very nice.

A young friend of mine has a firehawk that he has put alot into, and it ripps!
His car can get quite squirrelly on regular street tires, like it's on a wet street.
But when he puts on the nitto drag radials it grabs and puts you into the seat, only if they are warm though.

I forgot to say my shock bushings on the back are rubber too.

Never gave a thought too the torque arm ,is your car a auto or manual trans?
Either way poly in your driveline and rear suspention will really help transfer your power to the wheels but in return they will create more wheel spin.

I wanted to keep the 80's high school hot rod
Look too mine.

I usually keep an eye on your gen f body's if I come across a good cheap z I would love to build a new twin too mine.

Since mine is a 81(last yr for this body) it was the first of the computer controlled camaro's.
It has had its complete harnness swapped out though and It also started life as a 231 v6 3spd manual on the floor car.
This yr. In aug. Marks 26yrs. I owned it.
And to think 3mo. After I bought it I allmost traded it for a nice 85 saab turbo....way glad I wasn't that dum! lol

Here's a few pics for ya.

Do the poly,you won't regret it.
nice car had a 81 that could lift the front wheels off the ground i have owned every gen of camaro and trans am love them