The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2007, 10:02 PM   #1
Sammy

Flywheel Promblem I had

Everyone who read my post about me installing a 98 350 vortex engine mated to a 350 turbo long shaft tranny. I found out afterwards (already installed) that the later model stock starters would miss the flywheel by approx. 1 inch. Thru a friend that came accross the same promblem years ago tipped me about using an older starter instead of changing the flywheel. After several trips and alot of research I purchased a starter that fits a small block corevette 94. (The starter bolts are straight across from each other and requires a long bolt and a short 1 1/2" bolt) This starter is offset 1 inch and solved my flywheel problem. Unfortunately And I am not sure why. The adapter plate I installed to install a spin-on oil filter cracked after starting the engine so my 4 quarts of high dollar oil is on my garage floor. But you only win one battle at a time I guess. Hopefully its not possible to have so much oil pressure you can bust a oil adapter plate..hmmm I posted this responce incase someone doesn't check the size of their flywheel as I did. So I had a short lived glory of about 5 minutes but then again my turbo mufflers sound outstanding after 6 months of sweat & tears.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:04 PM   #2
GREASEMONKEY72

Re: Flywheel Promblem I had

glad to hear you got the starter deal fixed and i hope you get the oil filter fixed also, hearing the engine run after so long just makes all the trouble worth it

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote