The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
Savage

problems you've had due to rocks, dirt, and other debris

i'm wondering if anyone has ever had any mysterious issues with their trucks (faulty brakes, transfer cases messing up/sticking, problems changing gears, etc.) that you found were being cause by rocks (pebbles), dirt, or anything else that fixed itself once you cleaned the area out
Old 06-14-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

Re: problems you've had due to rocks, dirt, and other debris

No, I havent at least. But judging by your avatar picture I imagine you might? Looks like fun.

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:57 PM   #3
Savage

the night of the picture was september 28th 2009 and the damage to the truck put it off the road until may 2010. it is stuck in the picture and didn't get pulled out until 24 hours later. the damage:

• plenty of broken winches and snapped winch cables on other trucks that failed to pull it out
  • 3 brand new $200 jacks purchased (one broke too) - managed to return 2 of them all muddy and rusted and kept the third
  • at least $60 spent on plywood
  • dents and scratches to my dad's almost mint f-150 as well as ruining his running boards by bottoming out - it did finally get me out (to get to the mudpit seen in the picture, you need to get through a very tight trail that isn't supposed to fit fullsize vehicles at all (thus the dents and scratches) and turning into the trail from the road is a very steep incline that his truck would bottom out on until we dug it out enough
  • dad breaking his cell phone by accidentally running it over (left it on bed) - had to get a new one
  • broken washing machine in our house from washing all our muddy/rocky clothes (yes we hosed them off first but apparently it wasn't good enough) - had to get a new one
  • completely blew my engine (this is why it took the 6 or 7 months to get the truck back on the road... yes, it took that long to get a working junkie 350 back in the truck (the first replacement blew up within the first 5 miles of driving it home))
  • nearly ruined my almost mint interior but most of the mud scrubbed off without permanent damage to anything
  • creamed my passenger side mirror and door leaving the place after we got it out (it was dark and the truck was COVERED in mud and i was alone. but it was still the very last tree i could have hit before i was out of the place. icing on the cake)
  • it did make it home with the blown engine but the next day when i tried bringing it to the warehouse it would get the new engine put in at, it completely died and we had to pay a flat bed $95 to bring it back home and then rent a trailer dolly for $45 to bring it to the warehouse... and it was way too wide for the trailer so we had to keep stopping

if feel like im forgetting a lot from that nightmare from hell but that wasn't really the point of this thread anyway. the truck is actually in much better (and much cleaner) condition now. but there are still some very old mud/rocks underneath it despite hitting it with a 3000psi pressure washer and i'm wondering what kind of issues this could be giving me, if any

i know my rear drums were highly effected by the dirt and rocks until they were cleaned out

anyone else?
Attached Images

Last edited by Savage; 06-14-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:02 PM   #4
chevymotocross

Damn that is rough! I think I'm sticking to the pavement! Already break enough there! LOL
Old 06-14-2010, 11:20 PM   #5
Benelli
Watchin the rust grow

thats pretty tough on stuff. Sometimes you have to take it easy on stuff.

The only thing I've had a problem with is the linkage in my NP203 having a hard time getting in and especially out of 4wd.

I guess I blew a stock motor after 267K too, but that was the teenager in me more than anything.
1979 Chevy K10 (H/D Front end) - 350 w/ Holley Truck Avenger, Weinald Intake manifold, headers, bored .060 over, mild cam, Built up TH350 (TranStar Shift kit) with a part-timed NP203 t-case SOLD ($3,000)
1997 Chevy Silverado 1500 - 4.3 vortec, extended cab, 21 highway MPG, stock. "Red" SOLD ($3,000)
1987 Toyota 4wd Pick-up - work in progress, future DD SOLD ($1,850)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 5spd Quad cab - old 12 valve with some work done
2004 Chevy Silverado - Black, 4x4, 5.3L, stock for now

Underneath that rust is a heart of gold
Benelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:09 AM   #6
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

Never had anything repair itself from cleaning.... When I took mine mudding I mainly trashed all the soft seals a shaft turns in on everything... I ruined the seals from the grit so they had to be replaced the hard way. I cleaned that truck for 6 hours the last time it went mudding and 4 years after that I still found orange dirt here and there. I never did get it totally clean.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote