The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2016, 10:33 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Bench Seat Adjustment Rod - Type and Rod Tension Retainer

Sure a lot of threads on this and they were helpful, but some mystery remains because there appears to be some variances in rod types. Hopefully someone can educate.

Anyone familiar with the rod in this picture? It's straight for 3 feet, then there's an approx. 2 inch angle, and the balance is about 6 inches long. Few questions.

1. Can you describe what's used to hold this rod in place with tension? It's going to be located under the seat someplace, probably the bottom rear frame of the bench. Where's the placement, and it's approximate location to say - the dash board?

2. The angle in this rod was on the RH side of the bench, on the floor of course. But that doesn't mean it's supposed to be that way, though I believe it is. Can anyone confirm which side the angle in the rod should be on, LH or RH? My tape measure etc. told me nothing.

Thank you

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 05-21-2016 at 12:02 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:37 AM   #2
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Bench Seat Adjustment Rod - Type and Rod Tension Retainer

Heck YES. I had an "S" hook lying around and clipped it onto the frame per the OP, somewhere around center. Ecstatic to say my seat slides perfectly. As long as I've owned this truck (1989), this may be the first time too. I have a better idea for a hook, but I'll save that for assembly. Really, I'm preparing to remove the seat. Can't wait to see the goods. Just seen the build sheet for the first time too.................COOL!
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 05-21-2016, 01:09 AM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Bench Seat Adjustment Rod - Type and Rod Tension Retainer

In case anyone can use them: I don't get much enjoyment writing this garbage, but it will come in handy. The threads were real helpful. Especially posts by LocDoc.

BENCH SEAT ADJUSTMENT:

The seat adjustment assembly consists of: A. Two steel track adjusters "adjusters" with notches. These fit into the tracks. B. Two small steel clips, which attach to the adjusters. C. Two steel springs. The springs hold the clips on the adjusters. D. One rod. E. Something to stabilize the rod.

I believe the bend in the rod (see notes) should be on the RH side, though I'm not certain it matters. It appears much easier or even necessary to have the seat forward to attach/detach the rod.

LH truck side: Slide the LH adjuster into the track from the outside of the bench seat brace. The tooth at the end of the adjuster faces up. Slip the spring onto the end of the adjuster, patiently (ha!) pull the spring back, insert the teeth on the end of the clip into the spring and attach. The spring should butt up to the flange on the clip. Insert the rod into the clip from the top. The end of the rod faces forward.

RH truck side: Slide the RH adjuster into the track from the inside of the bench seat brace. The tooth at the end of the adjuster faces up. Insert the rod into the adjuster from the rear. The end of the rod faces down. See the LH side for clip attachment.

The rod needs to pull to the rear bottom frame of the seat for tension. Can't speak for original, but an "S" does the trick, placed near center. There are holes in this frame in places, which are an option. The "S" hook I used was actually too large for these holes and it's temporary anyway, but it still works.

Notes: Not all the rods are the same. Some angle at the top, somewhere around center. Mine has a two inch angle 6" away from the RH side. I have a spare set of adjusters. The LH side is slightly longer than the RH side. Pending review of the adjusters on my truck. Not all adjusters are the same either. The teeth on the spare RH side are slightly wider than my original, and I was unable to insert it into the track with moderate effort. A grinder works.

CDO...........

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 05-21-2016 at 11:08 AM.