The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2010, 01:51 AM   #1
stevenjhow

My new (to me) 69 C10

Im new to the forum....First post here! I just picked up a 69 2wd c10.... one of the first things I want to do is lower it.... it will be a daily driver so I dont want it too low, and cost is definitely a factor. Where do I start? Is there a decent kit that comes with everything I need? Ive read alittle about drop spindles, but I've also seen drop springs for pretty cheap.... do all I need is drop springs to lower it?

Also.... the rear sway bar (or track bar? Trailer arm? axle bar? what's it called?) the part that is attached to the rear axle and goes to the frame.... well the bushing is non existent, does anyone know a replacement part that should be available at a local autoparts store? I've found them online but Id like to get one installed now instead of waiting for shipping as the truck is my daily driver....

Hey thanks for any help you can provide... I'll be here often as I work on this thing. Here's a couple pics!

stevenjhow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:23 AM   #2
Jeffs70

Re: My new (to me) 69 C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjhow View Post
Im new to the forum....First post here! I just picked up a 69 2wd c10.... one of the first things I want to do is lower it.... it will be a daily driver so I dont want it too low, and cost is definitely a factor. Where do I start? Is there a decent kit that comes with everything I need? Ive read alittle about drop spindles, but I've also seen drop springs for pretty cheap.... do all I need is drop springs to lower it?

Also.... the rear sway bar (or track bar? Trailer arm? axle bar? what's it called?) the part that is attached to the rear axle and goes to the frame.... well the bushing is non existent, does anyone know a replacement part that should be available at a local autoparts store? I've found them online but Id like to get one installed now instead of waiting for shipping as the truck is my daily driver....

Hey thanks for any help you can provide... I'll be here often as I work on this thing. Here's a couple pics!
Well first of all I have to say Very nice truck you got there, also with yours being a 69 as you described You probably have drum brakes so you wont be able to get drop spindles that I am aware of, second you would be best off lowing with drop springs since you describe how you dont want it to low but a bit of a drop. so I would go with Drop Coil springs also it would be a bit cheaper that way also.
Jeffs70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:01 AM   #3
816allen

Dam man thats a sweet truck ya got!
72 C10 Sold
87 Short Bed Lowered Daily Driver
http://s623.photobucket.com/albums/tt314/sswagon/
http://www.chevygmcofkc.org/forums/forum.php
816allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:23 AM   #4
jim zag
ENGINE BUILDER

Jimmy likes it!!!!
Old 03-15-2010, 07:39 AM   #5
Tim_A

Nice truck! I would also try coils before going into drop spindles.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:14 AM   #6
stevenjhow

Hey thanks guys for the compliments...

Sooooooo, a lil update to my 'great' truck I got....

Engine leaks oil pretty bad.... not a huge deal, but I asked the guy if it leaked and he said take a look, the oil pan is spotless (im assuming he cleaned it before I got there because it WAS spotless)

The neutral safety switch in the column was kinda sketchy so I had to wiggle the column a bit to engage the starter.... He told me about this and showed it to me.... it quite working all together two days after I got it. I wired a separate starter switch goin directly to the battery and starter solenoid.... then hid it under the dash.

It has an electric fuel pump... which died yesterday on my way home. I replaced that this morning.

just saw that the coolant inlet on the intake manifold leaks pretty bad... this was also quite clean when I bought it. fixing that tomorrow.

and the one that really gets me is the trac bar bushing not even there... when I test drove it there were no 'clunks' or weird noises back there until a day later. Im assuming that the previous owner shoved something in there to keep it quiet. I bought a new adjustable trac bar from a local hot rod shop.... he told me that if im planning on lowering it I'll need an adjustable trac bar anyway. Im putting that in tomorrow also....

The wiring in this truck is so half assed and jimmy rigged that I can hardly figure it out, tonight I wired up an amp and some subs and almost went crazy trying to find out what the PO did to all the wiring.....

It's going to be a long project for sure! I kinda knew it would be going into it though... I just hope it doesnt nickel and dime me to the poor house.

Last edited by stevenjhow; 03-17-2010 at 03:15 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:37 AM   #7
Jeffs70

oh no sorry to hear the PO did you like that, What a bunch of crap when they do this kinda junk, need a swift kick in the @ss. hope you get it all sorted easier then you think now. and things go smoother for ya
Jeffs70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:30 PM   #8
hayhauler71

Nice looking truck and welcome to the board.
hayhauler71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:02 PM   #9
NGN

That is a nice looking truck you got there . I'd say check you brake set up, with the previous owner being so honest
NGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:09 PM   #10
dan42

On these trucks, unfortunately, people will do stupid sh$#T to hide problems, when in fact if they just let people know about them, they would probably buy the truck anyways. There have been some interesting stories told about P.O's here, but don't let it get to you, it is a 40 year old vehicle, and they are relatively easy to work on. Keep us posted on your progress and welcome to the board!

Last edited by dan42; 03-17-2010 at 10:10 PM.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:23 PM   #11
dhaymaker

dan42 hit on the answer...people will do stupid s#*! to hide problems. I'm convinced a lot of people do crappy work because they are either not sure how to do it right or are just too blasted lazy. Truck looks good...sounds like you're going to make it better!! Welcome to the board...

"The DRBMan"

2014 Audi A4 (The Wife's Daily Driver)
2017 HD Ultra (The Cruiser)
2003 HD Fatboy (The Ride)
2001 Chevy Suburban (Another back up!!)

For the first time in forever, not a single 67-72 Chevy truck, Blazer, or Suburban on the property! Basically retired and getting the new Motorhome ready for some traveling. Doing a bit of work on the house getting it ready to sell! LOL!!
dhaymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:24 PM   #12
70cst

stevenjhow on having a super nice lookin truck. As said it's a 40 yr old truck and you will have problems but the bright side is...once you fix an issue its done. to your new family.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:30 PM   #13
stevenjhow

The third day I had it my Dad was telling me to just sell it before more issues pop up. My thoughts were right along with you guys.... it's 40 years old, it's going to have issues, they will be easy to fix, and once I fix them (correctly) they will be gone and probably last the rest of it's life!

Today I installed the adjustable trac bar (AMAZING how stable the truck is when the trac bar works the way it should). Installed a nice stereo system. And tried cleaning up wiring that was either ratty or unused completely (still have alot more to go)

Tomorrow I am going to track down a fuel supply issue and probably continue cleaning up wiring.