The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
endlessearth

Lets say you want to keep the 283

I have a 1964 C20 with a 283, a 4-speed granny and a driveline handbrake. It is currently totally factory stock and running. I was originally thinking of replacing the 283 with a modern powerplant and replacing the four speed with a tremec but the 283 has really grown on me and I am less desirous now to make major changes to the truck. Plus, as I read the forums now I see a lot of love for the 283.

My question then is what would a guy in the late 60s do to modify his 1964 C20 if he was intent on keeping the 283? Carb, heads, fuel injection? Is there a period replacement to the granny four speed that uses the same hole for the stick and allows one to keep the driveline handbrake? The truck gets worked as a hay and feed hauler and a daily driver to and from the barn so it is a work truck at heart and I want to keep that feel. Plus it has dents and most of the paint is gone so it isnt a show truck by any means.

I think it would be cool to show up at the local cruise night (every Saturday at Scottsdale Pavilions) with something that looks and sounds like a farm boy in the late 60s put just a little go-fast money into his work truck.

Thank you up-front for any responses.
endlessearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
luvbowties

Smile Re: Lets say you want to keep the 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlessearth View Post
I have a 1964 C20 with a 283, a 4-speed granny and a driveline handbrake. It is currently totally factory stock and running. I was originally thinking of replacing the 283 with a modern powerplant and replacing the four speed with a tremec but the 283 has really grown on me and I am less desirous now to make major changes to the truck. Plus, as I read the forums now I see a lot of love for the 283.

My question then is what would a guy in the late 60s do to modify his 1964 C20 if he was intent on keeping the 283? Carb, heads, fuel injection? Is there a period replacement to the granny four speed that uses the same hole for the stick and allows one to keep the driveline handbrake? The truck gets worked as a hay and feed hauler and a daily driver to and from the barn so it is a work truck at heart and I want to keep that feel. Plus it has dents and most of the paint is gone so it isnt a show truck by any means.

I think it would be cool to show up at the local cruise night (every Saturday at Scottsdale Pavilions) with something that looks and sounds like a farm boy in the late 60s put just a little go-fast money into his work truck.

In those days, we poor 'rodders' mostly relied on carb, intake, cam, and headers. There is made a 'hi-torque' cam for like rv's (and farm trucks) that should work well for your application. Oh, yes: we used them sparingly back then--until we learned all the advantages of the later, OEM HEI distributors. Finding a used one, one would prolly be cheaper than upgrading to an electronic Pertronix conversion--like, $25 for good used HEI vs $100 converting a points-type to Pertronix.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
19666Trucker

Re: Lets say you want to keep the 283

I haven't been to pavilion s for sometime I guess I'll maybe head over there this Saturday.
Posted via Mobile Device
19666Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
GVDobler

The boys at Horsepower TV redid a 283 in a series where they cut a long bed down to a short bed and cleaned up a C-10 (66ish) for a daily driver. Actually, I think the series was on Trucks and they sent the 283 over to Horsepower TV for the overhaul.

It was about 6 programs long a couple years ago. If you look on their website I think you can watch the videos. You can search old episodes.
GVDobler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
corvettejim1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19666Trucker View Post
I haven't been to pavilion s for sometime I guess I'll maybe head over there this Saturday.
Posted via Mobile Device
its been about a year and a half since i have been maybe i will see you guys there. look for an all white 65c10 with really bad bed wood.
https://coolc10.com/
corvettejim1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:25 PM   #6
oem4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlessearth View Post

It sounds to me like you are enjoying your truck as it was assembled, for it's intended purpose. Hell, what's wrong with that? Take it to Pavilions as-is and show the posers what a real truck looks and sounds like. Now I can dig a hot rod or custom as well as the next guy, but sometimes the laid-out truck thing seems tired, especially when a well preserved, honest-to-goodness work truck like yours gets made-over. Nothing in my book has more cool or "soul" than a real deal experienced work truck. You wait and see, when everybody has had their fun slamming/bagging/modding all the decent survivors out there, trucks like yours (in it's present state) are going to be the sh-t.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:40 PM   #7
AcampoDave

Did you read the thread started by jwheeler331 back on 5-13? I agree with what oem4me just wrote too. I have a long bed that I restored to being lo buck original looking with a 2/4 spring drop. And a shorty stock looking ranch truck with the warmed over 283 and Saginaw trans. I also gave them both some brake upgrades too.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:48 PM   #8
LT1 Burb

I just rebuilt my 283 and it was 1400 to completely go through it.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:43 AM   #9
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

You can dress a 350 up to look like a 283 right? Also why NOT put the tremec in there? You can put the 4speed handle on that shifter and only you would know!

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:05 AM   #10
scottveazie

You can put a 350 in there and use an older intake that allows you to use the old valve covers and have the oil filler, that way it would LOOK original. What I did with my 283 in my '65 C20 was change the intake to a period correct quadrajet intake from '66, and put a much newer quadrajet out of a Firebird on that. Looks totally stock since it still has the filler, but gives me more power when I want it, and smaller secondaries so I get slightly better econ. Btw...I have the exact same combo you do, SM420 trans with 4.56 rear. I am going to change my rearend to 4.10's as well. Going up tire size helped me as well with RPMS. My handbrake is under the dash though, never seen it next to the stick on the floor.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:21 AM   #11
JWheeler331

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
Did you read the thread started by jwheeler331 back on 5-13? I agree with what oem4me just wrote too. I have a long bed that I restored to being lo buck original looking with a 2/4 spring drop. And a shorty stock looking ranch truck with the warmed over 283 and Saginaw trans. I also gave them both some brake upgrades too.

Here is that thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=580055
JWheeler331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:57 AM   #12
endlessearth

Thanks or all the replies guys. I am absorbing all the great information right now - doing searches on Muncie and Saginaw and four barrel intakes and RV cams.

As a very basic first step I am going to steam clean 48 years of built-up grime from the undercarriage and the engine bay this weekend.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:05 PM   #13
AcampoDave

My intake is a performer eps which wont fit a Q-jet and lacks a provision for the old school oil fill tube. I do like the performance but wish it had that tube and breather cap like a 283 should.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:56 PM   #14
19GMC66

Cool truck!! Did you recently purchase it thought I saw it on Craigslist before?
Posted via Mobile Device
19GMC66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #15
tincan1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottveazie View Post
You can put a 350 in there and use an older intake that allows you to use the old valve covers and have the oil filler, that way it would LOOK original. What I did with my 283 in my '65 C20 was change the intake to a period correct quadrajet intake from '66, and put a much newer quadrajet out of a Firebird on that. Looks totally stock since it still has the filler, but gives me more power when I want it, and smaller secondaries so I get slightly better econ. Btw...I have the exact same combo you do, SM420 trans with 4.56 rear. I am going to change my rearend to 4.10's as well. Going up tire size helped me as well with RPMS. My handbrake is under the dash though, never seen it next to the stick on the floor.
Just remember, that when using a 283 intake with oil filler tube and valve cover, that you will not have a PCV to help vent the engine. The 350s do not have the provision in the block for the road draft tube. Internal pressure will build up and cause more oil leaks than you can chase down.
Just FYI
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #16
endlessearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19GMC66 View Post
Cool truck!! Did you recently purchase it thought I saw it on Craigslist before?
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks! Yes. I found it on the local Craigslist. It was only five miles from my house too.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #17
66-PMD-GMC
The 60-66 GMC/Pontiac guy....

60's motor mentality and today's fuel don't work well together.
Motors were built around compression first and cubic inches second.
The 60's were the days of 105 octane on every corner.
Today's blocks are better designed, beefier where they need to be and lighter because of the liberal use of aluminum and other alloys in their design.
Building a "vintage look alike" makes far more sense both dollar wise and in functionality than does any other approach.

That's my 2 cents

Building Genuine Pontiac Firepowered cars and trucks for several decades.

Why Pontiac?? That's just me daring to be different.

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac
66-PMD-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote