The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2017, 04:21 PM   #1
only126db

Snake Skin?

I am thinking of reworking my nasty dash pad (cuz I M cheap), was looking at vinyls colors and saw some snake and alligator vinyl, was thinking hmmmm...

Then I was thinking I would have to do the door panels too...

But then what about seats, cant afford gator seats, thats a whole different ball game.

I could get vinyl for dash and doors for less than $75 probably....

What say you guys?

I am just getting parts together right now so....
only126db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:35 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Snake Skin?

What kind of truck are you working on? I used a coverlay over my dash..its just a hard plastic cover that goes over the original dash.I got the kit that included door panels so they'd match..got my seat cover from lmc
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:35 PM   #3
only126db

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
what kind of truck are you working on? I used a coverlay over my dash..its just a hard plastic cover that goes over the original dash.i got the kit that included door panels so they'd match..got my seat cover from lmc
1985 gmc 1500
Old 03-03-2017, 04:03 AM   #4
andrewmp6

To me it wouldn't look good and that cheap vinyl will never last long with the suns uvs hitting it and the heat.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:05 AM   #5
only126db

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
To me it wouldn't look good and that cheap vinyl will never last long with the suns uvs hitting it and the heat.
Yeah, not doing the snake, I dont know, wife and kid say no but I never listen to them...They are never right
Old 03-03-2017, 09:30 AM   #6
andrewmp6

I know your trying to be cheap but look at http://store.73-87chevytrucks.com/me...tegory_Code=DC Or something fully different http://www.tmiproducts.com/trucks/ch...-dash-pad.html
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:42 PM   #7
only126db

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
I know your trying to be cheap but look at http://store.73-87chevytrucks.com/me...tegory_Code=DC Or something fully different http://www.tmiproducts.com/trucks/ch...-dash-pad.html
I just cant see spending that money, thats just too rich for my blood for a dash.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:14 AM   #8
cfan10

Cool Re: Snake Skin?

If you have stitching skills, it is not so bad to do but that bend in the dash is a monster for a newbie.
I did the dash I did in my 84 when I was like 21 held up, it was black ostrich with red faux gator stripes ugly as all hell, but I was just a kid with bad taste and money to waste.

I honesty think people over due the skins, what I mean is they cover too large of areas with it when it looks best as a accent against solid coordinating colors. I would cover the door inserts the area around the vents and the cluster cover door pulls.

I did the dash in my 90 burb its holding up no stitching just adhesive. Will post pics.

GOOD LUCK!
Rest In Peace:Mikhail {Mickey Rooney} Alpha 2/5/13 Omega 7/22/14 10:28AM I love you tremendously and outragiously Superpuppi Thai Ridgeback...The most intelligent dog known to me.
Don't mess with my truck, my momma or my money...not necessarily in that order. ©
Stand for something or fall for anything.
[LIST][*]'98 Bourbon St. Brawl ©2010
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:45 AM   #9
only126db

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfan10 View Post
If you have stitching skills, it is not so bad to do but that bend in the dash is a monster for a newbie.
I did the dash I did in my 84 when I was like 21 held up, it was black ostrich with red faux gator stripes ugly as all hell, but I was just a kid with bad taste and money to waste.

I honesty think people over due the skins, what I mean is they cover too large of areas with it when it looks best as a accent against solid coordinating colors. I would cover the door inserts the area around the vents and the cluster cover door pulls.

I did the dash in my 90 burb its holding up no stitching just adhesive. Will post pics.

GOOD LUCK!
Ok, sounds good, I have a while before I decide. It's still too cold here for me to get to the project since I like to spend some time on projects, hate doing the one or two hour shots...