The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2024, 07:42 PM   #1
skokie

Rebuild engine or go new?

Im sure that this question has been asked well A LOT but here we go again. Made in Mexico crate 350 engine that needs a rebuild. Tear it out of the 68 C10 hot tank and magnaflux to see if its good and rebuild or buy a new long block?
Truck is a 68 C10 SWB. I dont have plans to build it to 400+ HP etc. Would like to keep it around 275-350 HP give or take either way. Its going to be driven quite often and I am looking for it to last a while and be reliable.

Thanks everyone I appreciate it!

68 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=223234
skokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 09:40 PM   #2
Accelo

Re: Rebuild engine or go new?

With the price of labor, it's likely less money to go with a mass-produced new motor.
Whichever method you choose go with a roller cam. If your existing block doesn't have a roller cam along with the better one-piece seals the Vortec heads and center bolt valve covers it's not even a contest.
Cheers
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 11:51 PM   #3
'68OrangeSunshine

If it was a Flint, Mich. high-nickel block, I'd rebuild that.
Hecho en Mexico, not so much.
But you'll get a warranty with a new crate long block.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; Yesterday at 05:19 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:28 AM   #4
truckster

I like building engines. It's hard to justify the cost anymore, though. The machine work to do it right, plus good quality parts, can cost almost as much as, or even more than, some crate engines.

I second the L31 for a replacement engine. One-piece rear main seal, roller cam, and great-flowing heads. You will need some new parts: Intake manifold, new flex plate, and you might need an electric fuel pump if the block isn't drilled for a mechanical pump.
Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM   #5
Myself

There's a reason that mass produced crate engines are less than you could build one for.......it's all about that profit and the all mighty dollar. I just had an IH 345 machined for a buddy that I'll be building. I'm currently trying to get machine work done on a 305, and I have my son's Lincoln 462 engine sitting here ready to build. I simply DO NOT trust anybody but myself to build them. As stated, I want mine to last and be reliable.
Myself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

If a SBC is like a BBC and takes era correct GM HP heads, then build that up IMO, bolts and appearances remain factory. ROCHESTER Might need heads anyway.

Wish I knew how to build an engine like above, suppose I could take a class or two. I've only done simple, like distributor, pumps, chain, manifolds and such; never a core.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; Today at 12:24 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM   #7
72c20customcamper

The high volume builders can offer engines cheaper because they buy a large volume of parts getting discounts . By the time I was done rebuilding my 350 I’d be into almost as much as a new engine from Blue Print and my buddy has a machine shop . And I would have had a flat tappet engine . So it made sense to buy the Blue Print engine
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:33 PM   #8
Myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Wish I knew how to build an engine like above, suppose I could take a class or two. I've only done simple, like distributor, pumps, chain, manifolds and such; never a core.
It's really not difficult, and takes mostly common hand tools. You can pick up a book on your exact engine that shows every step. I let the machine shop install cam bearings and put the pistons on the rods. You know, there was a time I didn't know how to build one, or a transmission, or body and paint................WHere there's a will, there's a way!
Myself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:21 PM   #9
67C10Step

Agree with Myself. Hmm, that sounds funny to say.

Anyway, just finished up helping a buddy rebuild his 350 for his 68. As was said above, he had the shop install the cam bearings and pistons on the rods. He and I put the bottom end together and checked all the bearing clearances. He has his first 6-700 miles on it now and runs strong.

Me? I’m seriously looking at Blueprint because I can get more HP’s for the dollar than it would take to get my little 283 to 300 horsepower.
2024 Toyota Tundra
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:45 PM   #10
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Here ya go pick one... https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc.../crate-engines

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:51 AM   #11
MARKDTN

You probably can't build it for what you can buy one for and finding a real machine shop these days is harder and harder-BUT-I would still build my own. I would probably go buy a junkyard (or pick-a-part) 96-99 Vortec 5.7 and build that instead. You get much better heads and a 1-pc rear seal. I would fuel inject it but even if you carb it you will have a nice foundation for a build that should last a long time.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:42 AM   #12
my67c20

I guess the question is why does it need to be rebuilt? If its just miles and lacks power, then I would do a compression and cylinder leak test. 2 simple tests that can help to diagnose the level of rebuild needed.
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:48 AM   #13
1970cstblazer
All stock and staying that way

Exclamation Re: Rebuild engine or go new?

IF I was going the rebuild route, I would only begin with a proper vintage 4 bolt main high nickel content iron block, then with some good flowing heads. Retain the rams horns, or go with the Vette rams horns. Top it off with a Q-Jet, and it will go another 50 years. Caveat on cams/lifters. Poor metallurgy and heat treating has led to an epidemic of flat cams, and it's blamed on the lack of zinc in the oil. Rollers will help this, but even new engines are having roller lifter issues. QC after CV-19 is nonexistent.
1970 K/5 Blazer CST 4WD, Bronze, 93k ACT. miles, 350, 4 speed, positraction, 16.5" x 8.25" wheel option, tilt, tach, vacuum, AM/FM, manual throttle...Dad ordered and purchased new 4/70. Currently frame off restoration in progress...

1972 Cheyenne Super 20 2WD, DK Blue/White, 90K ACT. miles, 402, TH400, 4.10 open, tilt, tach, vacuum, A/C, AM/FM, manual throttle.. A mostly original paint never rusted Texas survivor...

2017 Sierra 1500 SLT 4WD, Black, 41k miles, 5.3, 6L80E, 3.42 LS, 20" polished wheels, everything but moonroof and 6.2...

2019 Canyon SLT 4WD, White, 60k miles, 3.6, 8L45, 3.23 LS, 18" wheels
1970cstblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:23 PM   #14
72SB

I have always found it cheaper and faster too buy a crate motor (short or long block). Machine shop costs are high, deservedly so, and the few that are left are backed up so prepare to wait.

I was going to rebuild my 327 because, well its a 327. After costing it out I decided on a Blueprint engines 355. Full roller, 1 piece RMS, 4 bolt mains. Blocks are new and csat in Ohio. There is nothing used in their motors. 3 year/50k mi warranty. I have about 10k mi on it now. Runs great, no leaks.

BPE shop tour video is very impressive (30 min) showing the entire build process. Robotics and several of the machines are engineered and built in house. Every motor is dyno.
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:49 PM   #15
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I watched that tour. I especially like that piston ring installer. I've installed hundreds of rings. BPE 454 engines are $9400 now. I might be able to do my 402 for less, but I'd want a roller cam and lifters. By the time I went through all those upgrades, might as well buy new. I think I just sold myself on a new engine.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:34 PM   #16
bnorth

Being this is such a DIY site I am really surprised at the amount of recommendations for a crate motor. I have always liked the knowledge and quality control that comes from building my own motors but it has been a number of years so maybe I'm out of touch on the cost to use a machine shop and do all your own assembly with your own sourced parts these days.
Old Today, 05:37 PM   #17
skokie

Thanks for all of the info guys. I do appreciate it. After reading the comments and searching the board I have come to the decision that well it would be better to go new so I called blueprint engines today and spent an hour on the phone that had to suffer through me asking 500 questions. LOL
When the time comes which I hope to be in the next month or so, lets face it money $$$$$ dont grow on trees, this will be the one that I am going for.

https://blueprintengines.com/collect...locks-350-c-i/
products/blueprint-engines-350ci-crate-engine-new-cast-iron-longblock-aluminum-heads-roller-cam

Thanks again! The replies are the reason I keep coming back to this board. When the times comes there will be an engine swap thread YES THERE WILL BE

68 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=223234
skokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:47 PM   #18
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Wow, 5k for a new long block today. Amazing, yet cheaper than rebuild, hmm.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is online now   Reply With Quote