The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-03-2016, 02:02 PM   #1
Mayhem.Evol

Is this the cause of my oil leak?

Hopefully this doesn't triple post, was having trouble getting it to work on my phone laying under the truck, had to come inside.

So i bought the truck (1980 swb) a couple weeks ago, cruised it about 100miles home.. ran good. It did have an oil leak though coming from the oil filter it seemed. I checked around it and it didn't seem wet above, so i watched while the truck was running and it was definitely coming down the side of the filter. I changed the filter/oil since i was going to anyway, but that didn't help much. So today i pulled the filter off to give it a good look with a flashlight. I found that there is some damage to the ring that the filter seals to. I'm assuming this is my issue, but is there anything that can be done about it?
Attached Images

Mayhem.Evol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 02:57 PM   #2
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Is this the cause of my oil leak?

I'm betting that the previous owner had a cheap-o oil filter (like a Fram) that got stuck and they tried to use a chisel or a screwdriver to get it to spin off.

The area needs to be smooth right there. The long gouge is probably the culprit. To be honest, I don't know how you would go about machining that area flat.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 03:02 PM   #3
Mayhem.Evol

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I'm betting that the previous owner had a cheap-o oil filter (like a Fram) that got stuck and they tried to use a chisel or a screwdriver to get it to spin off.

The area needs to be smooth right there. The long gouge is probably the culprit. To be honest, I don't know how you would go about machining that area flat.

Gary
I kind of figured there wouldn't be much that could be done. I have no plans for keeping that engine, but i would like to have it in there and drivable until i have another ready. I may just have to deal with the leak until then. Thanks for some insight on how that might have happened.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:05 PM   #4
truckdude239

Jb weld then a drimmel to smooth it out

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:23 PM   #5
67swb72klb

X2 JB will do well for you!
Old 07-03-2016, 05:18 PM   #6
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdude239 View Post
Jb weld then a drimmel to smooth it out
Agree, and make sure the area is completely clean. A can of spray brake cleaner would work. I have also used black gasket sealer to prevent oil leaks with good success. It may help here since it's also oil resistant.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:32 PM   #7
Alex V.

JB and grinding/sanding back to flat is an idea I'd endorse! Sucks that some dummy did that.

1985 GMC C3500 SRW, Sierra Classic, 454/TH400, white/blue.
Alex V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:58 PM   #8
faribran

Is it possible to apply JB Weld then put tape over it. When it cures pull the tape leaving a smooth surface.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:05 PM   #9
cdowns

it's a heck of a lot cheaper not to mention easier to get a new filter adapter for $10 or so unbolot the old one and bolt in the new one will take you about 5minutes ifin you take a cigarrete break
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:37 PM   #10
Alex V.

If I'm not mistaken the damage is on the block, outside the diameter of the adapter.

1985 GMC C3500 SRW, Sierra Classic, 454/TH400, white/blue.
Alex V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:47 PM   #11
faribran

ALex, that's what I was thinking
Old 07-03-2016, 10:25 PM   #12
Mayhem.Evol

Thanks for all of the replies! I gave it a try without complete success. I feel like it slowed the leak down some, but I'm also not happy w/ how my work turned out. Was my first time ever really using jb weld (seen it used at work on grinders and whatnot but never had to try to use it) so now I know better how it acts I think. The tape trick w/ a thin layer all the way around the seal might work better than how I did it and be easier to get smoothed out.. going to try that next time.

Also, the adapter was mentioned and yeah it is the ring in the block around it that is damaged. I bought an adapter on my way home friday evening hoping that was the issue, but it doesn't seem to be. Now that i see how the adapter sits in there, wouldn't it just leak back into the filter anyway?
Old 07-03-2016, 11:10 PM   #13
geezer#99

Make a gasket for it.
Out of 1/16 inch laminated type gasket material. Same type as used in header gaskets. Soak the gasket in water over night and then install it. Might work as a temporary fix.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:42 PM   #14
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Another thing to try to level the surface as much as possible is to remove the adapter and use a flat sanding disk with a stiff backing plate with a drill to see if you can level it out first and then fill the gouged area with the JB weld. You may be able to get one that will fit inside the damaged area or cut one down to fit inside.

Maybe even try a gasket as mentioned above and black sealant. I have a ranger with a manual transmission with the rubber seals that are notorious for shrinking and leaking. I removed them cleaned them out and coated them with a heavy layer of black gasket maker and so far they haven't leaked in 5-6 years.

I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:05 AM   #15
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex V. View Post
If I'm not mistaken the damage is on the block, outside the diameter of the adapter.
Exactly... that surface is machined flat. That huge gouge near the bolt on the spin on oil filter housing is more than likely the root cause of the oil leak. It isn't allowing the oil filter seal to properly seal on the machined surface.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:09 PM   #16
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Strange no one has stated the obvious. You need a fresh smooth surface for the oil filter gasket to seal against....... duh!
In the absence of machining the existing cast surface,,, a thin sheet of stainless sheet cut to the inner / outer diameter of the gasket sealing surface,,, use Permetex's "the RightStuff" to glue / seal it to the block ,,, viola, new sealing surface for the oil filter.

I'd say a 12 or 14g piece of stainless sheet is gonna cost you about a buck,,, you can file and fit yourself for free,,,, or spend like $20 letting a machine shop punch /trim to the right diameters.

I don't see the rocket science involved here in fixing this!

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:41 PM   #17
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

Quote:
Strange no one has stated the obvious. You need a fresh smooth surface for the oil filter gasket to seal against....... duh!
In the absence of machining the existing cast surface,,, a thin sheet of stainless sheet cut to the inner / outer diameter of the gasket sealing surface,,, use Permetex's "the RightStuff" to glue / seal it to the block ,,, viola, new sealing surface for the oil filter.

I'd say a 12 or 14g piece of stainless sheet is gonna cost you about a buck,,, you can file and fit yourself for free,,,, or spend like $20 letting a machine shop punch /trim to the right diameters.

I don't see the rocket science involved here in fixing this!
+1 on this idea! Best solution.

I was also thinking to use a oil cooler sandwich adapter and just loop the hose -- or just install the cooler and use it with your next engine. Use sealant on the top half that meets the block. That should work too.

If the engine isn't going to be in service long, I'd even be tempted to pull a rubber oil seal off of a used filter, glue that in place with sealant. Then the new filter can seal against the old seal. One caveat... the new filter seal should be well lubricated, possibly with grease instead of oil, and not be very tight, otherwise next removal will twist off the glued seal. This is a hack though and should only be considered a temporary fix. I like the other ideas already mentioned better.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:54 AM   #18
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

First, you're going to have to knock down the high spots. Then either use JB weld (which I hate) or use Marv D's suggestion, which is the best yet. I would find someone with a CNC plasma or Laser to cut the piece for you.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 02:28 PM   #19
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
First, you're going to have to knock down the high spots. Then either use JB weld (which I hate) or use Marv D's suggestion, which is the best yet. I would find someone with a CNC plasma or Laser to cut the piece for you.
If you get quotes for a custom CNC/Laser piece, if it exceeds $30, just get one of these and be done with it.

$25.97:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hda-225

Universal with an interesting adapter plate that may or may not seal better with sealant:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-25731

Your local parts stores may also carry those types of sandwich adapters.

Either one will need a generous amount of some sealant between the adapter and block.

Like I said earlier, if you go with one of those sandwich adapters, just loop the hose with a big loop (no kinks), or install a cooler. You may even be able to plug the cooler circuit if you modify the thermostatic valve and let it bypass all the time. But I'd like the option of adding an oil cooler later.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...

Last edited by storm9c1; 07-08-2016 at 02:45 PM.
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote