The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2012, 10:41 PM   #1
fastcam1
Young gun

Assembly steps

So I need some advice from all of you guru's on here that have completed ground up builds. So I'm trying to get a basic plan of steps from bare frame to complete truck so I don't have to assemble, disassemble, and reassemble a million times lol. So any advice I can get will be highly appreciated thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

Northwest C10's
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/Norhtwestc10s/
Cameron sparks
fastcam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Assembly steps

Well, you will have to build up and back not a million times but a few. I own a body shop and build late model trucks and suv's for a living and restore muscle cars and old trucks for fun. I have been doing this since the 1980's. So I have had a few down to the frameand I just was in here the other day asking about a order to do things as well. My story however was different in the fact that I have not been able to work on my truck in a while and wanted to do something to it and wanted not to tear it down as I might have something come in the shop. As it turned out I bought two at the sale the next day and now I have to move the truck back out to make roomuntil I can work on it again. Okay back to you build how much of the work are you doing ? For all purposes lets say you are doing every thing. Lets start by of course dissassmbly, strip off the bed and rear bumper, front end assm[Some would leave the whole front together ] it is up to you on weather on not you want to take apart the front so you can easier do the fender patching and so forthI would take it apart. Then remove the doors then the int. Then the cab shell can come off next or it can stay on for a while if you are cramped for space. Next to come out would be the drivetrain.
Now you will have a rolling frame it is the time to do suspension work such as rebuild the front end or change to disc brakes or install lowering blos or whatever you might want to do to the suspension. That also goes for the rear as well if the rear needs attention such as rebuild or even simple as a oil change and fresh bearings and seals now is the time, Also if your dreaming of a posi and some gears now is the time. Do you ge the theme here it is basicly the opposite of the teardown in the build up to a degree. Next would be the motor tranny combowhile the cab is off it is super easy to drop it in and bolt up most stuff like pipes and so forth. Shortly after this point you will need the cab shell painted or at least the cowl and maybe the rear panel and inside. That way you can put the cab shell back on then the int. can go in as the glass and also the front cap can start being built. Hopfully you have the sheetmetal primed up at this stage and when you get this far you really are getting excited it looking like a truck again and not that a junkyard threw up . Install the front and then set all the gaps on the doors fenders hood and grille and the like and put the bed on if you have not already done so from setting the cab if the rear cab panel was painted the bed can be set at about any time after the cab shell goes on and being such a big piece of sheetmetal, it makes such a huge difference in the looks. After all the gaps are set it should be final touch ups on the primer then base coat then clear coat and dont to forget to include pics for all of us to enjoy as you go. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:36 AM   #3
fastcam1
Young gun

Re: Assembly steps

Right on! I didn't expect such a detailed response thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
Well, you will have to build up and back not a million times but a few. I own a body shop and build late model trucks and suv's for a living and restore muscle cars and old trucks for fun. I have been doing this since the 1980's. So I have had a few down to the frameand I just was in here the other day asking about a order to do things as well. My story however was different in the fact that I have not been able to work on my truck in a while and wanted to do something to it and wanted not to tear it down as I might have something come in the shop. As it turned out I bought two at the sale the next day and now I have to move the truck back out to make roomuntil I can work on it again. Okay back to you build how much of the work are you doing ? For all purposes lets say you are doing every thing. Lets start by of course dissassmbly, strip off the bed and rear bumper, front end assm[Some would leave the whole front together ] it is up to you on weather on not you want to take apart the front so you can easier do the fender patching and so forthI would take it apart. Then remove the doors then the int. Then the cab shell can come off next or it can stay on for a while if you are cramped for space. Next to come out would be the drivetrain.
Now you will have a rolling frame it is the time to do suspension work such as rebuild the front end or change to disc brakes or install lowering blos or whatever you might want to do to the suspension. That also goes for the rear as well if the rear needs attention such as rebuild or even simple as a oil change and fresh bearings and seals now is the time, Also if your dreaming of a posi and some gears now is the time. Do you ge the theme here it is basicly the opposite of the teardown in the build up to a degree. Next would be the motor tranny combowhile the cab is off it is super easy to drop it in and bolt up most stuff like pipes and so forth. Shortly after this point you will need the cab shell painted or at least the cowl and maybe the rear panel and inside. That way you can put the cab shell back on then the int. can go in as the glass and also the front cap can start being built. Hopfully you have the sheetmetal primed up at this stage and when you get this far you really are getting excited it looking like a truck again and not that a junkyard threw up . Install the front and then set all the gaps on the doors fenders hood and grille and the like and put the bed on if you have not already done so from setting the cab if the rear cab panel was painted the bed can be set at about any time after the cab shell goes on and being such a big piece of sheetmetal, it makes such a huge difference in the looks. After all the gaps are set it should be final touch ups on the primer then base coat then clear coat and dont to forget to include pics for all of us to enjoy as you go. Jim
Posted via Mobile Device

Northwest C10's
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/Norhtwestc10s/
Cameron sparks
fastcam1 is offline   Reply With Quote