The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
HotRodGMC68

Oil leaking from #8 header tube?

About a month ago I freshened up the top end on my 384 (new springs, seals, had the heads inspected and surfaced, new exhaust seats installed) since then I've been noticing oil coming from around where the #8 header tube is welded into the header flange. My valve cover is not leaking on it. I have no other trace of oil on or around the head. I've pulled the plug out and it's as clean as can be, no trace of oil on it. Also no sign of excess oil making its way into the cylinder. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks..
Old 08-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Oil leaking from #8 header tube?

I had a 1/16 nylon line for gauge pressure chafe a small hole and spray oil mist only when the oil heated up. Hard to diagnose until it finally gave all the way and hosed stuff.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:36 PM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Is your dipstick on the drivers side or passenger side? If it's on the passenger side, maybe you're getting a little blowby out of it.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

When a SBC has oil leaks on the passenfgers side ya always gotta ask of there is a bolt and sealer on the front mount bolt that goes into the fuel pump pushrod cavity.

Next suspect is the rear seal of the intake manifold. I haven't used anything but a tall bead of "the Right Stuff' for end seal gaskets in a couple decades. Once in a great while I'll mess up setting the intake into place and get a leak (more with this stupid tunnelram and any others) But a weep at the corners will run down between gap between the head and block created by the headgasket,, and drip off. Depending on starter (full size or mini and clocking) I've had it drip onto the headers. If you used the cork or neopren end gaskets I'd sure take a GOOD look with a mirror to see if there is a weep at the back of the intake.

FYI there is no oil (pressurized or otherwise) passing through the head except what is pumped UP the pushrods, and the drainback holes that return the oil to the INTAKE GALLEY. If you have oil on the outboard side of the head, it's coming from the rocker cover, or weeping down from the intake end seals.

Just a word of caution,,, oil on the headers is a real potential for a underhood fire. If worst comes to worst, get a bottle of the dye and a light to trace the source.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #5
Hertzdaddy

It sounds like you are saying its on the inside of the header. I had something similar when a exhaust valve seal went bad on a fresh install. I don't know why it went bad but it would either load up on the seated valve or oil down the piston after sitting for a while. Maybe check your plug and see if its burning any oil?
Hertzdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
shortbed70

If it's on the flange and nothing from the outside it points to a ring not sealing or valve guide or seal bad letting oil by
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote