The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2002, 02:50 PM   #1
sixty8chev
The Sauz

Power steering Install

I've got a super deal on a 69 gmc lined up, the truck is straight, clean and he's going to trade me for my old high school monster
( a 79 long box stepside witha 6,8 drop)
the only thing I don't like is it doesn't have power steering and it has the alternator on the drivers side.
So i was kinda wondering what its going to take to get power steering on her,
I'm assuming all the parts that attach to the engine will be straight forward, but I'm thinkin the steering box won't just slip in place of the manual box so i was wondering what i am going to do on that end of the project to make it work.
And on to the next super deal of the weekend.I got 50 bucks to take a 79 van off a guys hand, hes taking the motor and tranny, but i get all the externals like the power steering pump and alternator brackets for that project (kinda handy eh), and i was curious about making the discs and power brake booster work on my other truck? I know that topic is way too overdone, but all the ones i've seen before have been about taking parts off pickups. And lately what i've seen has been about swapping the crossmember, but I was under the impression you could just swap form the balljoints out.
SO if ya actually made it through all that without taking a nap, I'll thank ya in advance for your replies.
01 Sierra - Daily Driver (for now)

Last edited by sixty8chev; 12-15-2002 at 02:55 PM.
sixty8chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 05:19 PM   #2
BUXMAN66
go bucks!

pwr.steering works in same location w/no mod.s just replace the gear box w/ a pwr.one and gettcha a pwr.steer.pump.
'96 gmc sonoma sle ext-cab. hey it's a 4cyl. 5 spd and good on gas y'know?
BUXMAN66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 11:46 PM   #3
rusty ol' 69'
Grubbin'

Actually the pump is a much bigger issue on these trucks. They make three different offset styles and I've been having to screw around with different pulleys on the pump and crank to get it to line up and work right. Do the research on the pulleys for sure, but the box just bolts on (67-68 requires a notch in the frame, but after that it's a straight bolt up as far as I know--I got a 69 too). I got a couple links from the board if you have any questions.

Last edited by rusty ol' 69'; 12-15-2002 at 11:48 PM.
rusty ol' 69' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 03:06 AM   #4
greg72

I just did this. These guys are right on the mark. The box is a bolt on deal. Hoses weren't too bad. Just make sure the return hose is the one with a 90 degree bend at the steering box. The first one I had was a 45 degree and interfered with everything.

The pump is a little worse. Take your time on the belts to make sure they line up.
Old 12-16-2002, 04:57 AM   #5
sgtjed
What if?

just curios,but my 70 has allready been converted but the box is starting to wear out. what i want to know,will any truck box work on these trucks up to the late 70's? or to be more specific,what years will work on the 67-72 trucks?
sgtjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 05:34 AM   #6
Southpa

Sixty8chev, is that the red one I saw at Richmond and Bay? I noticed the guy took the sign off it so I figured its sold. I live only 2 blocks away, lol.

I did a complete front end (x-member and everything attached) swap w/ a '71 a few years back. I figure its the easiest way to get front discs, that is, if the donor is in better shape. I had no choice as my x-member to frame brackets were rotten. Should have grabbed the rear axles too, now I have 6-lug rear and 5 -lug front.

One thing I noticed between power steering and "armstrong" steering, aside from the box and pump, the pitman arm hole (fits on the splined end of the box) is a different size. So if you end up buying some parts off a power steering equipped truck, be sure to grab the pitman off it too.

Oh, one more thing, this van you're picking up? If its a chev/gm and has a tilt column, there is a good chance it will fit in your truck.

Welcome to board, btw. I learned more about my truck here in 4 days than I did in 4 years.

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other.
See which one gets filled first.
Southpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 01:01 PM   #7
sixty8chev
The Sauz

Thanks for the info on the van,I got paid to take it , and now I'm wondering if It woulda actually been easier to buy a junk pickup if I needed all the parts i think i will off it.
And sorry southpa I don't konw who grabbed that red one, the 69s back home by my brothers place. Its actually the same stupid f@*d minivan metallic dark teal as my truck. I never actually saw that red truck, which is kinda weird cause I live pretty much on richmond at oak bay. Was it just over by the hospital?
01 Sierra - Daily Driver (for now)

Last edited by sixty8chev; 12-17-2002 at 01:06 PM.
sixty8chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 03:40 PM   #8
Southpa

Geez, we're pretty much neighbors, I live on Pembroke 1/2 block off Richmond. The red GMC is still sitting there, maybe the owner decided not to sell. Looks nice and straight, he's definitely done some work on it. Got those little VW style sleepy eyelids on the outside headlights. Turn up Bay off Richmond and you will see it behind an apartment building on the right side corner.

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other.
See which one gets filled first.
Southpa is offline   Reply With Quote