The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
jimmybeus

What is this?

Hey all, I'm trying to get life back into my 292. My question is what is this box that is mounted on the passenger side wheel well? I dont know if it has ever been hooked up.
Another question I am trying to see if my fuel pump is bad. (Might be a little rednecked here but) I have a hose into a five gallon gas jug and turn the truck over with the hose off the other side of the pump. I put my finger over the outlet side and can barely feel a pulsation. Haven't got gas out yet. Is the fuel pump bad or will my redneck idea not work? Thanks for any advice or ideas.

Ok for some reason I can't put on any pictures. Soon as I figure out why I'll put them on, or if anyone knows why I can't.......... thanks
jimmybeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
DJMAN

Re: What is this?

I don't know what it is, but I know this.. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=3&a=24
DJMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
jimmybeus

Ya I just read that too. Thanks. The box says Mark Ten B Capacitive discharge ignition. It has a red wire and a green wire with some sort of red button on the side of the box.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:40 PM   #4
frankdatank01

No clue. But here is a wiki search on your box

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacit...harge_ignition
frankdatank01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:01 PM   #5
phipp13
THE DAMN YANKEE

it sounds like a cheapo msd box, ther're cap dis igns.
phipp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:39 PM   #6
jimmybeus

So it doesn't need to be hooked up then? Any ideas on the fuel pump? Just priced one for $26.00 at autozone so I might just get one.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:23 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

I didn`t follow the can and gas line thing.Does no gas come out of the line from the tank when disconnected from the fuel pump?Is that why you have a 5 gallon can?Do you have a line running from the can into the pump?You should get gas pumping/gushing out to the carb.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:38 AM   #8
jimmybeus

The gas in my tank is really old, so that is why I have a feed into the gas jug. When I crank it over there is nothing coming out of the carb side of the pump. I did read a post awhile back on installing the pump right and I didn't quite follow or not sure if that same thing applied to an I6. Any thoughts? Thanks
Old 10-18-2009, 06:57 PM   #9
Truck Dr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybeus View Post
The box says Mark Ten B Capacitive discharge ignition.
That's what it is is a old CD ign, not very reliable....unhook it and wire the ignition back stock also check to see if the points are burnt up,
I think I still have one of those CD systems still new in the box.....lol

Chances are if the truck has been sitting, the fuel pump is trash.

Dave
Truck Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:17 PM   #10
jimmybeus

I did buy a new pump today. Hope it fixes the problem. I haven't taken the old one off yet but when I did change it years ago I don't remember a rod in it. Does the 292 have one? I was in Jr. high school when I replaced the last one (about 1990) so I cant remember. I bought a Haynes manual for 67-87 GM trucks but of course it doesn't talk about the I6s. I'll tear into it tomorrow.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:04 PM   #11
Truck Dr.

6's run on the cam lobe V8's use push rod.

Dave
Truck Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:02 AM   #12
jimmybeus

Ok I got the new fuel pump on and still no fuel up to the carb. Raised the five gallon jug thinking maybe a little gravity would help. No dice.Took the fuel line off the carb and put it down lower than the pump, turned engine over and got some to squirt out but not what I thought should. If I pour fuel into the carb it will fire right up and purr until the gas in the bowl runs out. Any thoughts? Will it take a while for the fuel to reach the carb or will it not work trying to pump it out of a gas jug? I'm now wondering if using the gas jug there is to much air gap (I'm sure there is a proper word describing this) for it to pump the gas or to keep a prime. Does this make any sense or am I over thinking and over complicating it? I'm stumped and sure that someone out there has the magic answer for me. Thanks
Old 10-25-2009, 10:04 AM   #13
mario1128

try to prime the fuel pump first by carefully pouring gas into the inlet side of the pump best bet would be a small funnel stuck iinto the fuel line on pump . hope this work good luck-- mario
Old 10-25-2009, 10:38 AM   #14
'68 C-20

You can manually test your fuel pump by removing it from the motor and working the Rocker Arm manually while fuel is hooked up to the pump. The inlet side is a piece of tube with an expanded flair on the end, the outlet sided is a threaded brass fitting. The unit itself is non-serviceable.

When you install make sure the Rocker Arm is making contact with the eccentric on the camshaft, you can pull the plugs and have a friend rotate the engine by hand, use a screwdriver in the Fuel Pump Rocker Hole to feel the eccentric come to the high point. Measure how much screwdriver is in the hole and compare that to how much the Rocker Arm sticks out of the fuel pump to be sure it is the right pump.

A leak on the suction side will reduce the volume of fuel. Also make sure whatever hose on the suction side you are using is not clogged.

The fuel pump should put out 3 1/2 to 4 psi.

The standard test is to disconnect the fuel line from the carburetor and put a pressure gauge on it, fill the Carb bowl or use a small auxiliary fuel can suspended above the Carb to run the motor on gravity, check fuel pressure with the engine RPM's at a high idle you do not to exceed 1000 RPM's.
’26 Ford Model T
‘72 Triumph Spitfire 1500
'09 "The Briggs Flyer" Gettin' High.
'68 C-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:30 AM   #15
jimmybeus

I'll go out try those ideas today. Thanks for the advice.