The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
westofb
I really hate wet sanding!

Clearance Questions

This maybe posted in wrong section, but this is my question. I am just getting started on building a bagged long fleet truck. I want to take advantage of the air ride products by being able to drop the truck (when parked) as far as possible with the components I am using. My question is on lots of bagged trucks, they sh*t can the inner fenders. How much more drop does this give you. Looking at the design of the front fenders, unless you hack up the inside of the fender itself and relocate the hood hinges, I can't see losing the inners gaining much drop. Am I missing something? Please enlighten me. I would prefer to keep the inners, but if removing them is worth it, I would, but have to spend more fab time making some inners, don't want to be afraid to drive it on days with a chance of rain.
westofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:37 AM   #2
72blue

Re: Clearance Questions

I am no genius, nor do I know anything about low riders, but I'm guessing that it gives them the option to run larger rims/tires. The height of some of these tires that are under some of these rigs are actually larger than you think, and yes loosing your inner fenders does let you go a bunch lower.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:28 AM   #3
unclewatts
70 Chevrolet=Obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72blue View Post
I am no genius, nor do I know anything about low riders, but I'm guessing that it gives them the option to run larger rims/tires. The height of some of these tires that are under some of these rigs are actually larger than you think, and yes loosing your inner fenders does let you go a bunch lower.
Without specific tire diameters, that pretty much answers the question.

I'm Just like my truck. Old, Ugly and Grouchy. Except my truck starts easily in the morning and doesn't smoke!

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN! -Kermit the frog

1970 Chevrolet C-10 Longbed Stepside :
350, Muncie M20, 3.08 GM corp. positraction Forest green exterior/light green interior(Where all my money goes)

1996 Toyota Corolla (Parts runner)
unclewatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
71tahoe

225/60/15s on 8.5 (I think it was 4.5 backspace) rims hit the fenders with the front crossmember a little off the ground. It's the inside of the tire on the curve of the fender.

With the fender removed, the truck will lay at the LCA shaft and still not touch the outer fenders with this rim/tire package. Larger diameter and different offset will give different results.

You should be afraid to drive it any time if you have a straight hood you want to keep nice. A rock coming out of the tread can put a nice little ding in sheetmetal.
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote