The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2019, 05:55 PM   #1
weever82

Center Console repair

What is everyone doing to fix the stress cracks in their center consoles. My 84 has the cracks in the usual areas. I want to prep and repaint before I replace my carpet but was hoping to "fill" the cracks in first. Any ideas or what you have did would be great.

Thanks for reading!

Life's tough...... It's even tougher when your stupid - John Wayne
weever82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:34 PM   #2
wildwilly4x4

Re: Center Console repair

Assuming you are talking about the 81-91 style consoles.... I drill the ends of the cracks, then use a large animal (vet type) needle/ syringe with a large dia. needle to inject 2 part epoxy (I use some 5 min set locktite clear epoxy) into the crack...once the epoxy is set enough to be tacky, I dab at it with a red rag to help blend the texture back into it. Once all done I dye the console to whichever color I am going for. I also beef up the area where the lid screws down with some JB weld, then be sure not to overtighten the lid screws when putting it back together. From what I can tell, overtightening the screws is the major contributor to the cracks to begin with.

If you are doing the old '70's style console, I haven't ever had to repair any of them, other than refinishing. I want to say that at least some of the parts on my '80 K5's console were fiberglass, so fiber glass type repairs may be in order, although the epoxy method I use on the later ones may also work.

Hope I helped ya out!
wildwilly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:49 PM   #3
weever82

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwilly4x4 View Post
Assuming you are talking about the 81-91 style consoles.... I drill the ends of the cracks, then use a large animal (vet type) needle/ syringe with a large dia. needle to inject 2 part epoxy (I use some 5 min set locktite clear epoxy) into the crack...once the epoxy is set enough to be tacky, I dab at it with a red rag to help blend the texture back into it. Once all done I dye the console to whichever color I am going for. I also beef up the area where the lid screws down with some JB weld, then be sure not to overtighten the lid screws when putting it back together. From what I can tell, overtightening the screws is the major contributor to the cracks to begin with.

If you are doing the old '70's style console, I haven't ever had to repair any of them, other than refinishing. I want to say that at least some of the parts on my '80 K5's console were fiberglass, so fiber glass type repairs may be in order, although the epoxy method I use on the later ones may also work.

Hope I helped ya out!
Yes! I just started googling 2 part epoxies for plastic, totally makes sense now. Was worried about the texture and the rag is genius. Why drill the ends of the crack? Helps keep it from splitting again? Also I wonder if you can sand down the epoxy if too high..

Thanks again for the input, super helped me out. Just wasn't thinking about plastic epoxy.

Life's tough...... It's even tougher when your stupid - John Wayne
weever82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:28 PM   #4
hatzie

It's called stop drilling.
Cast Iron, steel, fiberglass, glass, and various plastics will continue to crack without a hole drilled at the end of the crack.
The hole prevents the concentration of the spreading force in one place so it's harder for the crack to continue.
You can get pieces of metal to melt into and stitch across cracks in plastics and you can get stitches to drive in across cracks in various metals.
Here's a google search for cast iron stitching.
https://www.google.com/search?q=stitching+cast+iron

Here's a guy welding plastics DIY.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote