The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #1
TypeSL2

Fuel Gauge

I got a question that I can't seem to find an answer for. I am swapping a 6.0 into my '64 and am wanting to keep the stock fuel gauge for the "factory" look. Is there any way to make the factory gauge work with the 2003 Silverado fuel pump I will be using? I love wiring, so any kind of electrical modifications that are needed to be done do not scare me. Thanks for the help.

James
TypeSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Fuel Gauge

Does the pump have the built in sending unit (assuming this is a stock in-tank pump right?)

GM 64/65 was the switching point, but iirc the 64 was 0-30ohm and the 65 was 0-90....doublecheck that over in the 60-66 section though. Basically, if you know the sending units ohm output Empty (down) and full (up), then you can get a resistor to work with the stock gauge.

They only cost like $1
Take a look over the the 60-66 section as the part #'s are listed in a few threads about hooking up late model senders to classic gauges.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
TypeSL2

I guess I just wasn't using the right words in my search. I will keep digging. Thank you.

James
Old 05-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #4
dayj1

The variable resistor for your fuel level will be clipped on the side of the 2003 fuel pump module "bucket". From about '99 and up, GM used a 30 -250 ohm sender. However, they used 0-90 ohm units all the way up to the mid 90s. So, you can get GM part number 25319676 (which is a 0-90 ohm resistor) to replace the resistor on the side of your bucket. The GM price is north of $100, though. So, go to ebay and search for "herko sk31". That'll get you a 0-90 ohm sensor that will clip on the side of your 2003 bucket for about $25 shipped. That's all you need if your gauge is set up for a 0-90 ohm sender.

If your gauge is for a 0-30 ohm sender, you'll need to run a 45 ohm resistor in parallel with the tank sending unit (in addition to swapping out the resistor as mentioned above). I believe that is what Br3w was alluding to above. It'll be close, but not perfect. With the resistor in parallel, the first half of the gauge (0 - 1/2) will really only be about 1/3 of the tank and the top half will be 2/3. In other words, you have to burn 2/3 of your gas to get down to 1/2 tank and then the last "half" on your gauge goes quick 'cause it's really only a "third". Clear as mud?

Last edited by dayj1; 05-22-2014 at 03:22 PM.
dayj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:02 PM   #5
TypeSL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayj1 View Post
The variable resistor for your fuel level will be clipped on the side of the 2003 fuel pump module "bucket". From about '99 and up, GM used a 30 -250 ohm sender. However, they used 0-90 ohm units all the way up to the mid 90s. So, you can get GM part number 25319676 (which is a 0-90 ohm resistor) to replace the resistor on the side of your bucket. The GM price is north of $100, though. So, go to ebay and search for "herko sk31". That'll get you a 0-90 ohm sensor that will clip on the side of your 2003 bucket for about $25 shipped. That's all you need if your gauge is set up for a 0-90 ohm sender.

If your gauge is for a 0-30 ohm sender, you'll need to run a 45 ohm resistor in parallel with the tank sending unit (in addition to swapping out the resistor as mentioned above). I believe that is what Br3w was alluding to above. It'll be close, but not perfect. With the resistor in parallel, the first half of the gauge (0 - 1/2) will really only be about 1/3 of the tank and the top half will be 2/3. In other words, you have to burn 2/3 of your gas to get down to 1/2 tank and then the last "half" on your gauge goes quick 'cause it's really only a "third". Clear as mud?
Definitely. Thanks man. I just found a post that mentioned the exact thing. This truck is really only a weekend truck, so it doesn't need to be perfect. As long as it is pretty close and I can keep the factory gauge. Granted, I was also tossing around the idea of adapting a 93 Caprice fuel gauge. We will see how it goes. Thanks for the replies.

James
Old 05-22-2014, 11:54 PM   #6
littlevictories

i'm running a 0-90 sender with a 0-30 gauge and a 47ohm resistor. it kinda works. under a half tank (actual) it reads almost empty. if I were to do it again i'd get the right sender for my gauge from tanks inc or wherever and hack it onto my pump hanger.
littlevictories is offline   Reply With Quote