The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2005, 06:27 PM   #1
tomatocity

The buy was a bust (longish)

As the sign says I am new to buying a 67-72 GM pickup. This last weekend I traveled from CA to NE tp buy a 1970 GMChevrolet pickup. All looked well so we boarded a plane on Friday morning, got screwed over in Denver, finally got to Lincoln NE, missed our ride, rented a car, drove 100+ miles to Kearney, found a very clean frame-off rebuild. It was supposed to be a GMC frame with Chevy grill and tailgate. May I regress. A couple of days before the trip I was franticly looking for a GMC VIN decoder and many of you helped me, thank you. Late the night before I discovered there is a frame VIN and did not have time to have the seller send it to me. OK back in Kearney and I discovered the trucks frame VIN did not match the body VIN that had been removed and reinstalled during the rebuild. I asked the seller more than once if the cab had been changed and he always said it had not. The reason I asked so often was the trick had front disc brakes and it is a 1970. Well the truck also had bad brakes, ran poorly, the seat had been reupholstered but not rebuilt, the tilt column was from a van (no nuetral switch), no windshield sprayers, no overflow tak, we (me and my buddy) had to fix a radiator leak, door panels were terrible, windows did not roll up or down well, no door mirrors, no radio, shabby plumbing for the oil gauge, faded gauges, no PRNDL, new drivers door rubber was f'd up, other than that it was very clean. If I could have got it to CA it would have ended up being a salvaged title. This trip cost me more than I would like to have spent but some lessons are more expensive than others. The reason for this email is you. Don't take buying any vehicle lightly. Do your home work and believe yourself ask for proof from anyone else.

For those that don't know (I learned today) the frame VIN (SZ74856) should be the last 7 digits of the title and body VIN (CE134SZ74856). If you buy a vehicle in-state the DMV will most likely not find the error. In CA they inspect all out of state vehicles being registered the first time.

So who has a nice, clean, 2WD, any bed, for sale?

Crying in my beer,
Tim in Sacramento
Old 06-12-2005, 06:57 PM   #2
barn9
Half a bubble off!

A "nice, clean, 2WD, any bed" takes in a lot of trucks. It would probably help if you were a little more specific about what you are interested in and what price range you are thinking.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:26 PM   #3
ebfabman

Also, ask for lots of pictures. Maybe even a video with good audio of the truck being started and running. A lot to ask, I know, but geez how much did you spend chasing this truck? You can even link up via the internet for real time video stream if both you and the seller are savy to what it takes.
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 07:45 PM   #4
dtlilly
Account Suspended

This is one of the best truck boards you will find on the net. With over 16,000 members, we are a close knit bunch of drooling fanatics. Next time you want to look at a truck far from you... post a thread asking for any area members to look at it for you. I recently looked at a truck an hour away from me for a board member in Michigan, well from my seeing it in person, and the digital pics I took, the member decided the truck was not as described. He saved a $1000 round trip, and I did the favor for free. That's what it is about here... friends that never met, helping others!
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 07:52 PM   #5
nu2-72

Not to be critical, but as stated, you need to be more specific as to what you want. I mean if you ask generic, that is what you will get. Some generic truck.
Decide what you want and then we will help you out.
2006 Duramax Crew cab 4x4
2010 Harley Ultra Limited
2011 Harley Street Glide
nu2-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 08:29 PM   #6
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

My wife's 70 stepside has disk brakes, all I did was a crossmember swap from a 72 Custom/10. Keep up with the "parts board", board members sell trucks on there all the time.
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 08:53 PM   #7
Bamm
Cowboy Fan for Life!!!!!!

Welcome to the board from Virginia. I'm Jerry and as stated above by dtlilly, I am a drooling truck fanatic. The amount of drool is dependent on how nice the truck is and needless to say, I wear hip waders when surfing this site. Lot of nice stuff on here and lots of good guys just waiting for the chance to help other members. Enjoy your stay and if I can help you out here in Va in anyway, let me know..........Jerry
18 x 8 Torque Thrust II's
Future mods: All new gauges & wood bed
My Zip is 23002
I ship UPS, USPS
Bamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 09:11 PM   #8
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

Number matching trucks...

I always say a truck with title/frame/vin tag matching is worth more $$$ and easier/more legal to sell...than a "mutt" pieced together without documentation.
I just offered a "matching" 72 SWB fleetside pu to a local guy for $1,500. He wanted to beat me down to $1,000. I told him it was all matching # correct. He said, "Do you think that really matters on a truck?"
Well, what do you think?

This 68 SWB project truck another number matching/clear title truck: Powder coated frame & parts with complete new ECE lowered suspension. It will be a completely "legal" cool little original truck when completed---FOR SALE: $2,900
Attached Images

Last edited by PICKMUP; 06-12-2005 at 09:57 PM.
PICKMUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 09:33 PM   #9
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PICKMUP
I just offered a "matching" 72 SWB fleetside pu to a local for $1,500. He wanted to beat me down to $1,000. I told him it was all matching # correct. He said, "Do you think that really matters on a truck?"
Well, what do you think?
Here in Kansas it means not having to spend $500 for an attorney to get a title!

I agree with dtilly. I havent' looked over any trucks for people on this board, but did save a guy on the stovebolt board from buying a "rust free" 50 burb that had rust on almost every body part.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 09:51 PM   #10
71swb4x4

I agree with dtlilly...ask us to help!!
I planned to purchase a 2wd Blazer in California. Alexis was nice enough to go look it over for me and he saved me a lot of cash and a huge headache.
I went and looked at a truck that was close to me for a member who was not close.
That's what we do here.
I am sure you learned a lot on your trip, and your next one will likely be a success since you know what questions to ask. It's sounds like you didn't let it get you down too bad. Being out some cash is better than being stuck with a truck that you don't want.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:08 PM   #11
HOTFUN

You drove by within 3 miles of my place on your drive from Lincoln to Kearney. I am a little confused about the VIN on the frame. In Nebraska the frame vin also must match the cab & vin plate or at least those last 6 or 7 numbers. I'm not sure if your saying they did not or the whole vin number was not present in the frame stamping which it does not? I would be very upset if this person represented this truck as numbers matching and that the cab was the original one off the frame and it turned out to not be. That is fraud. How did you come across this deal and what did the guy say when you confronted him about these items? So did you go ahead and buy it and head off for CA as you said you fixed the radiator leak?
I once sold a guy in Florida a one owner 72 big block Cheyenne driver with "lots" of rust for $700. I went over and over the honest condition with this guy and that it had always been just a daily driver truck but to FLorida was anybodies guess. He flew into Lincoln which I met him there with the truck on my trailer so he could head east from there. This older gentleman shows up in dress clothes, no tools, etc, and with $700 in cash and starts tearing it down. HE said I thought you guys don't use salt and rust is from sand chips out here in Nebraska! I even had spent several hours flushing radiator, servicing it out and such on my dime just to feel respectably comfortable for his 1600 mile trip in a 30 year old truck. Needless to say he made it but had his share of water pump, and radiator problems on the way home but to this day I don't know how what he was thinking about a 30 year old truck with 100k miles on a drive off 1600 mile journey. People need to ask the right questions and listen to the answers carefully not just what they want to hear. I truely believe he thought Nebraska was a desert state and we just park our good old trucks when we get new ones.
Mark
'72 Cheyenne Super K20 project
'73 Sierra swb 4x4 frame off in paint stage
'74 Cheyenne Super swb w/16k actual
'71 & 72 Cheyenne K10 4x4 swb's
'70 426 HEMICUDA conv SHAKER 4 sp Dana 60
'60 Impala conv 327 PG fac ac loaded 3rd owner
'72 GMC K2500 4x4
'59 Apache CST BBW fleetside swb 283
'73 ElCamino SS LS1 T56 true SS bucket tach
'76 ElCamino SS 52k survivor
'87 Grand National 41k True 2nd to last built in 1987.
'86 K30 454 SRW fleetside CA since new
'88 Trans Am GTA 39k bought new
2018 DEMON plum crazy @ 840HP! "Need for speed"

Last edited by HOTFUN; 06-12-2005 at 10:11 PM.
HOTFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 10:17 PM   #12
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

I've been here in Virginia since 1983 and nobody has ever looked at any vin numbers on anything that I've ever owned.
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 10:48 PM   #13
krue
Designated A-hole!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy70C-10
I've been here in Virginia since 1983 and nobody has ever looked at any vin numbers on anything that I've ever owned.
Same thing here in Mississippi.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:00 AM   #14
Roberty
Hot Damn - Here I Am!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krue
Same thing here in Mississippi.
Same here in Georgia. Must be a southern thang.

As far as I know - at least here in the southeastern US - the VIN #'s on the frame do not have to match the title. I've never ran into this problem before though.
'70 C-10 - My Grandfather bought it new - original un-restored

Last edited by Roberty; 06-13-2005 at 12:00 AM.
Roberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:11 AM   #15
dtlilly
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberty
... at least here in the southeastern US - the VIN #'s on the frame do not have to match the title.
He lives in the Communist west, with Arnold as next dictator
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:47 AM   #16
4x4Poet

Tim..., may I call you Tim?

What in the world were you doing in Nebraska looking for a clean truck?!!! You live in the Big Valley. Outside of the garages of Hollywood's rich, there is no better place to find a clean, rust-free classic truck. The Sacramento Bee alone must have 50 67-72 Chevy/GMC trucks for sale each year in its classifieds. Not to mention every other Valley town (Modesto, Fresno, Bakersfield, Yuba City/Marysville, et al).

I bought my rust-free, unrestored, and unmolested '72 burb in Sacramento from a son selling his late father's truck for his mother. $2000 bucks. Had my dad look at it first. I told him if it was rust free, complete, and ran, buy it. The next day it was mine. Granted, that was 9 years ago, but still, aren't clean trucks still available within easy reach of Sacramento at reasonable prices if not yet restored.

Or have you been trying to find a inexpensive, well-restored truck? Not likely available cheap in the Big Valley– nor should one be if it spent its life in the Big Valley's low humidity with no snow– especially if garage kept. Only Arizona trucks can compete with regards to unrestored quality. And Big Valley classic trucks never had to endure Arizona's super high heat (no offense, Arizonians).

Please, tell us why you haven't kept your search within the best classic truck region in the nation.

Last edited by 4x4Poet; 06-13-2005 at 01:00 AM.
4x4Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:17 AM   #17
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

Let's ignore the inflamitory comments about West Coast communists & dictators, just because they check vehicles for legal numbers.
You can sit in your little towns/counties and buy & sell & trade trucks and probably never have a problem...unless there comes questions about the possibilty of stolen parts or trucks...They are around here, too.
You just can't sell one of those trucks to a "serious" buyer nationally...or at auctions...or if it gets impounded by cops...or if it gets totaled and needs to be reinspected---These places all check the numbers and the numbers have to be right.
You could probably run it with a Corvair title & plates, if you never get checked...but if you do get checked it is nice to be right.
So I think they are worth more $$$ if they are number matching.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:56 AM   #18
tomatocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by barn9
A "nice, clean, 2WD, any bed" takes in a lot of trucks. It would probably help if you were a little more specific about what you are interested in and what price range you are thinking.
Preferably 1/2 ton, 2WD, LWB or SWB, automatic, the engine is not an issue, not cut up, wheels are not an issue (I have simple tastes in wheels), doesn't need to be a show truck, etc. Today I saw a 1970 for $17000 and I don't think it is worth it. At the same house I saw a 1972 for $12000 obo and it is proably worth $10000 but he would take $11500. I also saw a 1970 for $5500 and a 1968 for $3500 obo and neither was worth $1500. There has to be redeeming value to the truck at a reasonable price. I believe that is what most of us want. I plan on driving one of these trucks for the next 20 years so it must be something I like and don't mind working on as it ages. Hope this helps.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:17 AM   #19
tomatocity

Hi HOTFUN. No I did not buy it. As one of the posts said 'I would rather be out a little cash than have a bad truck' or something like that. Yeah I believe this person misrepresented his truck. After I got there he mentioned he bought three trucks at one time and he only had one truck left and he did not sell the others. anyway it is my fault for not using the knowledge of this group of fanatics. I had talk to this person for a total of eight hours before coming to NE. I thought I had most of the questions asked and answered but when I got there there were too many things not correct. Now I am positive he used a frame from one truck, the cab from another and the bed from another. I have thought about calling NE DMV (again) and reporting him but I don't want to ruin anyones life. He has enough to deal with in his life since he is a burn victim with teh use of only one hand. He probably does not think he has done anyhting wrong though if it happened to him he would probably feel different. What a person puts into life usually come back to you. Thanks for your concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTFUN
You drove by within 3 miles of my place on your drive from Lincoln to Kearney. I am a little confused about the VIN on the frame. In Nebraska the frame vin also must match the cab & vin plate or at least those last 6 or 7 numbers. I'm not sure if your saying they did not or the whole vin number was not present in the frame stamping which it does not? I would be very upset if this person represented this truck as numbers matching and that the cab was the original one off the frame and it turned out to not be. That is fraud. How did you come across this deal and what did the guy say when you confronted him about these items? So did you go ahead and buy it and head off for CA as you said you fixed the radiator leak?
I once sold a guy in Florida a one owner 72 big block Cheyenne driver with "lots" of rust for $700. I went over and over the honest condition with this guy and that it had always been just a daily driver truck but to FLorida was anybodies guess. He flew into Lincoln which I met him there with the truck on my trailer so he could head east from there. This older gentleman shows up in dress clothes, no tools, etc, and with $700 in cash and starts tearing it down. HE said I thought you guys don't use salt and rust is from sand chips out here in Nebraska! I even had spent several hours flushing radiator, servicing it out and such on my dime just to feel respectably comfortable for his 1600 mile trip in a 30 year old truck. Needless to say he made it but had his share of water pump, and radiator problems on the way home but to this day I don't know how what he was thinking about a 30 year old truck with 100k miles on a drive off 1600 mile journey. People need to ask the right questions and listen to the answers carefully not just what they want to hear. I truely believe he thought Nebraska was a desert state and we just park our good old trucks when we get new ones.
Mark
Old 06-13-2005, 02:22 AM   #20
tomatocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtlilly
He lives in the Communist west, with Arnold as next dictator
Now there is a crook. Do you want him? We will sell him cheap including delivery.

As long as you are in state the likely hood of ever having your vehicle inspected for VIN is nil. If you bring a vehicle from another into your state you can bet they will check for VIN information, that is unless they don't care about older vehicles. Mismatched VIN information will get you a salvage title in CA.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:43 AM   #21
tomatocity

Sure you can call me Tim. Well there are multiple reasons. One the truck in NE is still the cleanest truck I have seen since 1996 when I started noticing them. In 1997 I was on my way to buy an extremely clean fully loaded 1972 C10 when I discovered a 1962 Impala SS. I bought the SS. Even as clean as that truck was the owner would not guarantee no rust. Many people think CA is rust free. CA has snow, deserts, salt water and lots of it, and valleys. There are trucks in teh San Joaquin valley (Modesto, Stockton, Lodi, Turlock, etc) that you can see the ground when you get in them and that is a valley truck. Think of what a northern CA Bay Area truck can be like or a Lake Tahoe truck. CA has the highest and lowest elevation points in the continental US and no we don't have all the weather condition as other states do but we have our share. Don't take CA granted as being rust free. If I find a good clean truck in Sacramento will be because I stumbled across it and the hawks had not already swooped down on the innocent seller with cash in hand. In our area alone we proably have 20+ people making a living at buying and selling these trucks. At Pleasanton a couple of weeks ago there had to be a dozen 67-72 trucks in the car corral ranging from $20000 to $3000 and most were extremely over priced or out od my price range. I offered $7000 for a 1970 SWB and that was probably too much and they did not take the offer. They were from Turlock where there is a huge, Pomona huge but Northern CA huge, swap meet. Southern CA is 500-600 miles away from Sacramento. Sounds like you got a great deal on the Burb. Maybe one of these days I will find the right one if I keep looking and carry cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Poet
Tim..., may I call you Tim?

What in the world were you doing in Nebraska looking for a clean truck?!!! You live in the Big Valley. Outside of the garages of Hollywood's rich, there is no better place to find a clean, rust-free classic truck. The Sacramento Bee alone must have 50 67-72 Chevy/GMC trucks for sale each year in its classifieds. Not to mention every other Valley town (Modesto, Fresno, Bakersfield, Yuba City/Marysville, et al).

I bought my rust-free, unrestored, and unmolested '72 burb in Sacramento from a son selling his late father's truck for his mother. $2000 bucks. Had my dad look at it first. I told him if it was rust free, complete, and ran, buy it. The next day it was mine. Granted, that was 9 years ago, but still, aren't clean trucks still available within easy reach of Sacramento at reasonable prices if not yet restored.

Or have you been trying to find a inexpensive, well-restored truck? Not likely available cheap in the Big Valley– nor should one be if it spent its life in the Big Valley's low humidity with no snow– especially if garage kept. Only Arizona trucks can compete with regards to unrestored quality. And Big Valley classic trucks never had to endure Arizona's super high heat (no offense, Arizonians).

Please, tell us why you haven't kept your search within the best classic truck region in the nation.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:15 AM   #22
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Sorry your trip did not turn out as planned. Kudos to you for haveing the foresite to wait for what you want.

I too think you can just wait it out here locally and find a nice truck. You may have a bit of a wait for a short bed though. Between the truck section, the auto care & repair section and the classics section in the Bee, you will find one. I bet 3 or 4 months tops.

You are totally correct that a lot of the trucks for sale out here are overpriced. Those are usually the "restored" and "partially restored" ones. Myself, I'd like to get one that has just been "maintained"!

Unless you want to pay top dollar, I'd stay away from the shows/meets. I went to the Turlock meet and MY truck was better than some of those that were asking 10K+. While I luv my truck, I am realistic enough to know that I'd be lucky to get 8k.
Good luck in your search.
Rich
Old 06-13-2005, 09:25 AM   #23
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity

As long as you are in state the likely hood of ever having your vehicle inspected for VIN is nil. If you bring a vehicle from another into your state you can bet they will check for VIN information, that is unless they don't care about older vehicles. Mismatched VIN information will get you a salvage title in CA.
I'm not really familiar with a "salvage title." If you plan on keepin it for the next 20 years as you said, as long as it is titled with plates and insurance what's the big deal? Or can you not get plates and inurance with a salvage title? Sorry 'bout your purchase going sour, I've walked away from a few "deals" and I'm glad I did. Trucks are just like women, if you're patient, you'll find a good one
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:57 PM   #24
Tim240Z

I'm not sure if the 'out of State' into CA inspection is more intense, but I have re-registered a couple of vehicles that have dropped off the DMV computers due to not being registered for over 5 years (they assume that the vehicle was wrecked and sent to a junk yard). This is actually a good thing as the fees are just a normal registration (no back penalties). Anyways, to re-register the vehicle, it needs a VIN verification check. Neither time the vehicles were driveable, so I called in a third party registration company. They came to my house and looked at the vin (just the dash plaque) and the title and matched the numbers, gave me the form with their stamp and signature and that was it.
The first one was my 73 240Z. She (yes, she) arrived and I met her in the driveway (car was in the garage). I layed the paperwork on the hood of my truck for her to see. She started looking for the VIN on the truck!! ha ha ha .... I had to lead her to the garage and 'splain what a Z car was......

If it is the same for your situation, it may not be as big a deal as you think.....

Sold: 71 Cheyenne 20
Installed a 99 5.7L L31/4L60E from Suburban 1500 (2005)
Tim240Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:21 PM   #25
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Well you may be right Tim. Just as long as nothing raises the suspicions of the inspector. I bought a theft recovery 72 Z. DMV person went outside to inspect it and promptly refered me to a CHP inspection station. One of the rivets on the dash vin had been altered and she would not cert it.

My opinion on the #'s matching/branded title thing is: If you are going to dump a lot of money in a truck, you had better do what it takes so you can get some money out of the truck if you have to.