The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
kxnomore

Installing new heads question

When I was installing the new cylinder head bolts, the bolt kit said that they were pre-coated with a sealer, and not to add more sealant.

They had a thin white coating on all the bolt threads. Should I have used some kind of sealer on the outside smaller bolts at least? I'm a little concerned I could be losing coolant, as I had to add coolant today, but there is no white smoke, or water in the oil or anything.

I'm hoping there was just a bubble in the radiator that worked itself out, but maybe I should be pulling the bolts one at a time and adding sealer now? Any ideas or recommendations?

It's a 350 small block by the way.
thanks in advance.
kxnomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:04 PM   #2
70rs/ss

Re: Installing new heads question

The shorter bolts go into a coolant passage but the coolant doesn't come into contact with oil or the inside of the engine. If they were leaking you'd have coolant running on the outside of the head, the only SBC head bolts that need sealant are the longer ones that pass through the head under the valve cover where oil and water might mix. I built my first few SBC when I was young and dumb and never put thread sealer on any of the bolts and never had an issue, so I wouldn't unbolt anything unless you are for sure you have a leak. You can go to your local GM parts dealer and buy the pellets to seal the coolant system, GM drops them into every new ride off the line to ensure no coolant leaks, but only if you are concerned??

Last edited by 70rs/ss; 10-31-2008 at 02:07 PM.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote