The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2005, 09:10 AM   #1
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

Any intrest in trading Barn doors for Clam Shell??

I have clam shell doors on my Burb right now, they are rusted to crap and literally falling apart. I have had a set of Barn doors for a few years now that I had planned on installing on my truck. Couple problems, Everyone keeps telling me what a b!tch it is to go from clam shell to Barn style. AND, not knowing what im doing, and having to do it by myself, I cant afford to have my truck torn apart for that long, as its my daily driver. Im thinking its just gonna be easier to stick with the calm shell if I can find another RUST FREE set. I have treated my barn doors on the inside with Por15 , sanded down the outside, they have just a couple small rust holes on the bottom of the doors. I have all the weather stripping, brand new in the pkg. I have used glass for both doors, and I THINK all the hard ware is there, most of the small stuff is still in a bucket, as I received it. Lemmie know if anyone is interested in trading, or even if someone has a set of clamshells for sale.
Thanks !!
junk

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
GMCjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 09:36 PM   #2
Long Roof
Old School, New Style

I'm not sure why it would be hard to change from one style to the other, as long as you have all the hardware including hinges. I have not done this but it sure looks like all the mounting points are there. Someone jump in with first hand experience.

Aaron
- 96 Chevy Impala SS - mainly stock
- 98 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4 - all stock
The Bad:
- 86 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 4x4 - winter beater
The Ugly:
- 72 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 2wd - parts truck
Long Roof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:58 PM   #3
qksilver

It's hard because not all the holes are there for the striker and center latch set up plus the one of the lower hinges doesn't come out unless you jack the body off the frame. Other than that is really easy.
I have a set of clam shells that have some rust but are complete. I just got them from TOO MUCH Stuff in Grand Rapids MN. I drove up there on a parts run. They are still packed in my 99 burb.
Let me know and I can send some pix......I am 8 miles from Fort Bragg NC
Thanks,
Steve
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote