The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2002, 12:35 AM   #1
Slayer_EC

'71 Project

Hi,

I am 17 and recently bought my first truck, a '71/'72 Long Bed Fleetside. I am not exactly sure which part is 71 and which is 72, but the '71 was originally my dads and the '72 is unknown to me. The '71 then went from my Dad to my uncle, and sometime between that time the 71 and 72 became one.

After that, it went to my Grandpa, and it has finally came to me.

I bought it for $300 since it was still my Uncles and my Grandpa never had it signed over. I have many many plans for it and was hopeing that I could get a few opinions from fellow Truck Lovers.

What I am planning on doing:

Starting with Exterior:

I am planning on painting it the stock '71 Blue and shaving the rain gutters along the top of the doors. I will have blue ground effects around the bottom and in the box. I plan on lowering it as much as I can and still be able to go to teh store and drive into the parking lot And since the ground effects will be blue I plan on painting the first inch or so of the bottom of the body white and very quickly fading it back into blue. I need the contrast and I beleive at night it will look awesome. And the box will be lined with that Silver Bumpy stuff :P I can NEVER remember what its called. I may look into a pwoer window/lock kit, and if I want to take the time and money I may look in recessed door handles.

As for the interior:

The main colors will be Blue and White. Is it possible to take out the long seat and install 2 bucket seats with a center console ?

I will replace the stereo with a nice system, nothing with loads of bass, but I will be able to thump if I want As for teh dask I am undecided, I may have to save money and stay Analog, but If I can afford it I will go digital.

The Engine:

I am ROYALY undecided on this, as I dont know much about engines. Well, a little. I hope to replace the 350 with a 327. I realize the raity of 327's but I beleive I may be able to get one for free from a truck that rolled a couple times and the owner has yet to pick it up fomr teh towing company where my Uncle works.

I dont want a really strong engine, nor to weak, I want something that sounds nice and lets me light up when I want to. Hehehehe

Thats about all I have planned so far, ANY input is greately appreciated.

------------------------

I worte that a few days ago, I decided that I am totaly going to shave the handles, and get a remote opener!

I see 60sum to 72 trucks all over, but none like mine, Im going for the extreme custom look.
Slayer_EC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 01:05 AM   #2
WHYBYNU
WHYBYNU when old will do

Sounds like you have some awsome plans. Take a look at pics of my 71 Super and that might give you some ideals also, they are on this page. My word of wisdom to you is keep it simple and take your time and when it gets tough walk away and try again tomorrow and you will have somthing to be proud of one day. good luck...
4/6 drop
20x8.5 / 20x10 Billet Specialties
WHYBYNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 01:09 AM   #3
Danny69'

Why would you take out the 350 and replace it with a 327? Yes, 327s run good but I would stick with the 350... Just add the go-fast goodies and get it to run good. If you already have a solid 350 that runs good I would just keep it for now.. And yes it will light them up, and for sound you need to look into exuast. Have fun with the project and hope to see how it comes out.
Old 07-19-2002, 01:19 AM   #4
Slayer_EC

Thanks for your replies guys.

About keeping the 350, I may just do that. That 327 I think I may get may not be one at all, I gotta look, it could be a 350 in disguise. I didnt get much of a look at it.

If I dont keep the 327, how much could I get for it ?

<- Now THAT is cool !
Old 07-19-2002, 01:20 AM   #5
colohusker

I agree with Danny69, if the 350 is good, I'd leave that in instead of putting in the 327. As far as the exterior, sounds like a great plan, just make sure to keep fresh batteries in the door remote!

Around here, it seems like all I see 16 and 17 year olds driving are Hondas and beemers. I'm glad to see a young person that wants to build his ride, and not just put gas in it and drive. When I was young, I restored an old Willy's, still miss that truck. You'll have something unique and classy and to be proud of when you're done. Keep us posted!

Scott

'71 C10 Deluxe, factory ac, ps, pb, should be done by 2102

Longmont, CO
husker95@hotmail.com
colohusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 01:21 AM   #6
Slayer_EC

Also, the 350 in the truck now had a towing cam put in.

But the starter is almost shot and the carb loses its prime over night But if I can get it to drive a mile to where it will be kept, I will be happy.
Old 07-19-2002, 01:27 AM   #7
Slayer_EC

Thanks Colo,

The first thing I will do is the exterior, then interior. The eninge will be last. Cause you can have a truck at a show and not open the hood, boohahahahah.

Colo - About teens driving those new cars? BLEH! Dang Jap-Crap all over. All kids my age care about is drugs and sex. Regardless of their parental guidance and/or peers. The sex part is natural SO Nice Car = Girls = Sex. Im not putting myself down, cause all I car about is having a nice truck and being able to hang out with my friends. I dont drink, smoke, or do drugs, and people find that unbeleiveable because I hang out with pot heads, and drinkiers, but I aslo have 'nerd' friends. But to me they arent nerds, friends.

Oh, crap, I turned this post into one of my deep philosophical thingies . . . .

OH well, gotta look around the net for ground effect kits. You realize that they only make ground effect kits for trucks as far back as '88 ? That makes me mad, guess Il have to go custom.
Old 07-19-2002, 01:39 AM   #8
Scott70Chevy

These trucks had a rare option for bucket seats with a center console. In '67 & '68, the bucket seats had a 3rd seat in the middle, the back of it folded down to make an arm rest. All of these were low back buckets. If you want to go with something sportier, there are all kinds of after market options or you can pull buckets out of a newer vehicle. If you get them out of a newer truck or a car, you will have to raise the seat so it doesn't sit too low in the cab (fab metal blocks or new brackets to go under the seat). Do a search on this site for bucket seats. In recent weeks there were some threads that had lots of good pic's of different seats.

I also recommend doing a little at a time. It may be best to try to keep the truck drivable so you don't get discouraged (e.g., don't tear it all down at once so you can't get it back on the road for a long time!).

Good luck!
Old 07-19-2002, 01:45 AM   #9
Slayer_EC

Thanks Scott.

I plan on tearing it down to the frame, and get the suspension and tires and everything done, that should only take a week and a half or so, maybe less if I dont have anyhting going on.

But I may have a everyday car on its way.

I heard that you can rip the bucket seats out of a '95+ Chevy truck and the holes will almost match, and that they can be installed with normal tools and a drill So, Ill talk to my Uncle and wait tiill he tows in a truck with what I need.
Old 07-19-2002, 01:53 AM   #10
bigvinnie

sounds like a cool project.... post some pics when u get a chance... that 350 is just as good as a 327 for cruising and doing burn-outs... not sure I'd go with a digital dash, haven't heard good things about them...

but there's lots of options for aftermarket gauges in the stock dash opening...

72 Stepside Project
bigvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 01:55 AM   #11
Slayer_EC

Trust me, Ill have loads of pics. Dont have my digital camera anymore It busted and I sent it back to get fixed 1 year ago, they ripped me off. So Ill scan them, but there will be loads of pics!
Old 07-19-2002, 01:57 AM   #12
Slayer_EC

Considering digital gauges cost upwards of $600 I may just save that for gogo parts for the engine.
Old 07-19-2002, 01:59 AM   #13
bigvinnie

you've come to the right place for ideas and answers....

72 Stepside Project
bigvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 02:03 AM   #14
Slayer_EC

Tell me about it.

I cant keep up with the posting.
Old 07-19-2002, 02:38 AM   #15
The Blue Pig
Thread Wizard Since 2002

hey slayer, you should be able to find ground effect kits somewhere. I was looking at an East Coast Customs catalog and they had hoods, grill inserts, and rollpans w/ facias for 67-72, and they had ground effects for 73 and up. I know that does not help you specifically, but you should be able to find something. good luck.
--74 C-10 Shortbed
--86 Toyota Tercel (His Driver)
--05 Chevy Trailblazer (Her Driver)
The Blue Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 11:49 AM   #16
Slayer_EC

Thanks Blue, Ill have to look.

Can you buy the lights sperately and just put them where you want em and wire it yourself? I would do that instead of a kite since I am going to put 4 in the box.

-::{E-Mail Me}::-

-::{1971 Project Truck {Import Killer} Sshhiinnyy}::-
Old 07-19-2002, 03:47 PM   #17
SWINGSAX68
Now the others dig........

hey..

Slayer,
you plan on doing quite alot!!!! Are you gonna do it all yourself????Thats great...I wish I would have thought about a truck when I was 16.....it would have been done now that I'm 22...but i've just started....take time....you'll be dreamin lots and you'll get dicouraged, especially when it comes to stuff you just can't do on your own, be it time or money, somethings gonna get in your way...be patient. Don't get pissy and rip out the ignition switch wires like my freind did to his 66. I hope dad isn't gonna pay for everything.....cause my dad even gets a little fussed when I need him to pay for something...time to find a job, cause right now all you need your money for is you and your truck. The bad thing about being a little older and having money is that you gotta pay for school and rent.....Get your ride running before college buddy!!!!!!ha ha...that will save you big time!!!!! You are lucky that your uncles got a wrecking yard....we might need some parts too!!!!!!LOL
peace little dude.
LOOKING FOR A 67 4 DOOR IMPALA!!!Just like Sam and Dean Winchester!! 'Cause Mustangs are for p^**#$ and you can fit a body in the trunk of a 67 Impala
MEMBER OF THE DRUM BRAKE CLUB
Bachelor of Music in Jazz Studies Texas State University-San Marcos, TX
Certified Music Educator
I hope Mom is up there watching and being my Guardian Angel

"I've got a fever.....and the only prescription.....IS MORE COW BELL"
-The Legendary: Bruce Dickenson

"F#$@ 'em up!!!!!!"
-The Legendary: Rogelio Escobar

TRUCKY LINKS
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=457750
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=461184
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=472848
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=417541
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=477788
SWINGSAX68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 10:11 PM   #18
racedvl
Account Suspended

If the rear veiw mirror is on the windsheild, the cab is a 72. If it is mounted on the roof, it's a 71.
racedvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 12:44 AM   #19
Slayer_EC

Thanks for the encouragement Swings.

I dont plan on doing it all by myself. And I will most likely pay for most everything myself.

I doubt my dad will pay for much, because we ar eum . . . financally dysfunctioned . . yeah thats it

The work will be split half and half between me and my dad, my dads an alchoholic and I hope that this can bring us together. And between work and the truck he shouldnt have time for drinking

Im on vacation and as soon as I get back I plan on getting a job . . one problem. I have always put off my license becasue I didnt think I would need it much, now that I got the truck that seems like it was a BAD idea. Oh well.

And since my Uncle (ok, soon to be August 10th heheheh) works at a towing company I can get loads of stuff free. See, when they tow in a vehicle, the owner has 90 days to pick it up, if he doesnt then he no longer has the rights to the vehicle, the company does. The comapny then has to put the vehicle in the papr for like 20-30 days, not sure exactly, if it doesnt sell in that time, then the person who towed it in has free game on it. Theres a 80 sum truck up there now that rolled and is totaled, but the block is alright, so Im going to snag that and have my uncle hold it till I can haul it up to ND.

My truck needs a starter and carb before I move it to my shop, or I can tow it. But Ill just take the starter and carb off that truck that rolled.

Oh yeah, they had a car carrier (those BIG ones) get in a wreck. And there was a beemer on there (nothing to get to hot about) BUT ! Dune Buggies are a big thing in Wyo.! Just imagine a dune buggy with a beemer engine Boohahahaha, I hope the owner doesnt take it.

I got posts to read so Im out.

Thanks Racedvl, Ill have a look.

-::{E-Mail Me}::-

-::{1971 Project Truck {Import Killer} Sshhiinnyy}::-