The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-02-2006, 09:50 AM   #1
Sgt.Booya

Disc Brake Conversion

I have a 1970 Chev C10 (6 Lug) and the next project for me will be a brake conversion to discs up front. Wondering what the best option is:...

1) A six lug disc brake kit.
*Upside: New parts, probably easier for an inexperienced wrencher?
*Downfall: price
2) A 71-72 front cross member swap.
*Upside: Probably cheaper
*Downside: Old parts, because it will be five lug, be looking for a rear axel too.

I'm thinking option #1, the six lug disc brake conversion kit. If I've missed something, you agree or you see fault in my logic please chime in. Also if I go the "kit" route can you recommend which one you feel would have the best quality and ease of installation?

1970 Chev C10 SWB, "250 turbo thrift"
Sgt.Booya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:54 AM   #2
70c10
67-72 Addict!

Re: Disc Brake Conversion

You will be limited on 6 lug rim selection. GMCPaul who happens to be a board vendor here has the best price I have seen on a disc brake kit. It's around $470.

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:57 AM   #3
ChevyDude

I was going to say the same thing. If you can do 5 lug.....rim selection is wide open!
ChevyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 12:06 PM   #4
krue
Designated A-hole!

On your 70 odds are that you would only have to swap axles to get 5 lugs on back, instead of swapping the entire rear end. I don't remember the numbers, but if your housing is the same width as a 71 then 5 lug axles from 71 up to around 80 will work.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 12:19 PM   #5
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I don't want to take anything away from GMC Paul, but my conversion stuff all came from Early Classic Enterprises, in Fresno, CA.

It's all bolt-on stuff, using GM/Delco parts for the pads, master cylinder, etc. The spindles were designed to use stock tie rod ends. There are some kits on the market that don't use 'em. I don't know if GMCPauls' is one or not. He can tell you.

In my case, I went with the dropped (2.5-inch) spindles and stock-height front springs. Rear springs are 4-inches lower than stock. I already had power brakes, so that part of the system wasn't needed for me. We also replaced the upper/lower control arm shafts/bushings, all tie rod ends, idler arm, pitman arm, shocks, rear shock relocating kit, rear panhard (adjustable) rod and front stabilizer bar relocating kit (raises the bar closer to the frame) for lowered suspensions. I stayed with 6-lugs, because my truck has the narrower (60-69) rear axle ass'y, whereas your '70 can be retrofitted with later (71-73) 5-lug axles.

One thing to watch is front track width. Converting to discs, adds an inch to front track. If you wheel backspacing is like mine was with the old 15x8' aluminum wheels, you'll find them sticking out just past the lip of the front fenders and they may also contact the fenders on turns/dips in the pavement. I changed to 15x7's and solved that problem. Since then, I have gone to Wheel Vintique 15x8, with 3.5-inch backspace on front, and 15x10 with 4-inch back space on the back. No problems with front end, steering or bumps/dips in the road.

It's all off with the old/on with the new. It all comes down to money....how much do you want to spend? In my case, I spent about $2K, with two new front tires and an alignment (stock specs, too). The Wheel Vintiques wheels just recently got bought/installed. The conversion to discs was done almost 5 years ago.

I am sure Paul will offer you plenty of advice on any questions you may have. ECE also did a good job on my questions/concerns.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 04:52 PM   #6
Sgt.Booya

Humm, seems like a kit is the way to go for me. I definately want to use the existing stock GM/Delco stuff tie rods ends, etc.

I'm still troubled with the 5 lug/6 lug thing. You see, parts are hard to find where I live (Canada). Most things this old are rusted up here (we salt our roads in the winter). A check of all wreckers in my area revealed not one truck to pull parts from (67-72). Everything would need to be shipped from southern, USA.

I'd love to go 5 lug but my truck was made in Feb 1970 so I think it has the older style axel. I've seen some nice 6 lug rims, done a quick internet search and there would be penty I'd be happy with. These are nice:
http://www.car-rims.com/detail.aspx?ID=270

Thanks for the info. ChevLoRay, I wasn't aware of the wider front track width. All that info will be useful to me. 2K!! was that with your rims and tires too?? Do you have pics of you truck so I'd be able to preview what the final product might look like with a 2/4 drop?

1970 Chev C10 SWB, "250 turbo thrift"
Sgt.Booya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:40 AM   #7
wibilly

find a 71 or 72 parts truck take what you need sell the rest to get your money back