The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2006, 05:48 PM   #1
67Mach1

Its ALIVE!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...5&postcount=32

Posted this as a new purchase some months ago. Well she fired up this past weekend and seems like she has a strong running motor. After six years of sleeping, and trying to get it running with the old carb, I got a "new" rebuilt quadrajet, and she started on the second try.

Lots of smoke on start up and slight smoking during run but sounds great. The old Flowmasters still work and sound great.

Spent the rest of this week gutting what was left of the interior and pulling out not one, but two rats nests from behind the nasty side panels in the back and tons of poop under the seats. A quick trailer trip to the car wash got most of it rinsed out but not the smell( anyone got any ideas for that one?).

Rebuilt rear brakes and installed a new/rebuilt master cylinder too. Learned that on trucks that have been modified by the PO it is best to take the exsisting part withyou before you go to the parts store as you never know what truck the part may have come from.

Turns out my M/C and power booster apparently came from a late 70's or early 80's Truck.

The first test drive should come this weekend.

No new pics at this time but I will work on that. Should have taken some of the rats nexts and the wierd stand offs he had use to lift the non origional seat high enough to fit.

Hopefully I can update this before the list drops off the board next time.

Cant wait for my new interior parts to come in thanks to Hart-Rod.

Unfortunatly the Rear end bounces and swings around like the shocks are dead. Since I dont know what kind of drop he used I will have to post pics and see if I can get some input. I dont think the shock mounts are not relocated and I know the panhard bar is almost horizontal. Will deal with that next, I guess.

Thanks for reading!
Thomas

67 GMC Shortbed 454 Project
more junk and most of it
is for sale

Last edited by 67Mach1; 07-13-2006 at 10:01 PM.
67Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:55 PM   #2
Jebb1978

Re: Its ALIVE!

Sweet man Congrats! Looks really nice!
Old 07-21-2006, 10:47 PM   #3
67Mach1

Well I am still a looser with no photos to show, but I wanted to report that she went on her first drive today in over 6 years, under her own power...

Ended up having to totaly rebuild the front brakes but was lucky enough to be able to turn the rotors vs replacem them.

Results were good drove well as can be expected, Needs shocks all the way around and the brakes took a lot to get used to. You can push on pedal and get nothing, then about half way in they grab like crazy. I am sure some kind of adjustment is in order. Will look into that later.

Almost decided the drop is too low. Once the shocks are on and I have had time to work out more bugs I might raise it back up a bit.

Thanks for reading.

more junk and most of it
is for sale
Old 07-22-2006, 06:29 AM   #4
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Now we can truely say
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 06:51 AM   #5
krue
Designated A-hole!

Congrats on getting it running, but we need pics!

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 09:42 AM   #6
Hart_Rod

Thomas,

Finally got a box, the interior will be on it's way Monday. Did you adjust your rear brake shoes when you fixed the rear brakes. You want to adjust the shoe out far enough to get a little drag on the drum. It probably wouldn't hurt to do this again after a 100 or so miles. Also, was this an original disc brake Burb? If not hopefully PO used a disc/drum proportioning valve. With it grabbing all of a sudden, it doesn't seem like air in the lines. Since you changed the master cylinder, could be the adjustment of the push rod. How close is your pedal to the floor? You probably tried all this, but just tossing out some ideas. As far as the rat smell, your on your own! I'll send the tracking number Mon. If there is anything else you might need, let me know.

Rob

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 07-22-2006 at 09:43 AM.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:51 PM   #7
67Mach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod
Thomas,

Finally got a box, the interior will be on it's way Monday. Did you adjust your rear brake shoes when you fixed the rear brakes. You want to adjust the shoe out far enough to get a little drag on the drum. It probably wouldn't hurt to do this again after a 100 or so miles. Also, was this an original disc brake Burb? If not hopefully PO used a disc/drum proportioning valve. With it grabbing all of a sudden, it doesn't seem like air in the lines. Since you changed the master cylinder, could be the adjustment of the push rod. How close is your pedal to the floor? You probably tried all this, but just tossing out some ideas. As far as the rat smell, your on your own! I'll send the tracking number Mon. If there is anything else you might need, let me know.

Rob
thanks for the update on the parts.

thanks for all the things to look at. Some we did think of but none have been checked out. After all the work and bleeding the brakes we could not resist the temptaton to put it on the road.

Wanted to have a weekend away though.

Looking forward to getting the parts and the rat smell is starting to go away on its own. That, Or I am getting use to it.

AND,,,, I am back on my computer so once i can get pics taken tomorrow I should have some to post.

Thanks

more junk and most of it
is for sale

Last edited by 67Mach1; 07-23-2006 at 11:53 PM.