The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2007, 09:59 PM   #1
Hooker
aka TEX-TOY

Dizzy setting?

I was replacing my intake manifold and carb today and i did as i was supposed to ie: marked the dizzy where it was setting and where the rotor was..... well i take it out and no roblems and replace the manifold and try to put the same dizzy back in and it will not fully seat itself.... if i rotate it approx. 1/4 turn it will seat.... WHAT GIVES? I did not turn the engine over or anything... truck did not move nor did the crank shaft..... WTF??????????

PLease help i need this truck for work!

Thanks in advance!!!!

BRAND NEW WIFE BOUGHT IT FOR ME AS A WEDDING GIFT!!! SHE IS THE BOMB!!!!!!
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:14 PM   #2
AR15DEFENSE
Resident Absorber

Re: Dizzy setting?

when you pull the dist, the rotor will turn slightly because of the angle of the gears on the cam and dist. may be you didn't notice that when you pulled it...?? ex: when pulling the dist, the rotor would have spun about 1" at the tip. this is where it needs to be installed at to make it line back up w/ your mark
Old 05-23-2007, 10:18 PM   #3
gator2511

Same thing happened to me the other day. You need to put a long screwdriver in the dizzy hole and turn the oil pump a little so the tang on the bottom of the dizzy shaft will drop into the oil pump. When you engage the oil pump slot with your screwdriver you will be able to tell which way it is pointing, then turn it enough to let the dizzy drop into the right position. Try this after you do what AR15 said.

Last edited by gator2511; 05-23-2007 at 10:20 PM.
gator2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:22 PM   #4
Hooker
aka TEX-TOY

AR15 i understand that... Thanks

Gator.... I will try this tomorrow... Thanks...

Why would it move to begin with?

BRAND NEW WIFE BOUGHT IT FOR ME AS A WEDDING GIFT!!! SHE IS THE BOMB!!!!!!
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:35 PM   #5
gator2511

I can't begin to understand it!! I put a new GMPP dizzy in my truck and I couldn't get it to sit down all the way with the rotor in the same place. I had to turn the oil pump shaft a little and it popped right in. I didn't move anything either but I knew the rotor had to point to where it had been so I had to spin the oil pump shaft. You have to just look at it and figure which way to turn it. Good luck!
Old 05-23-2007, 10:44 PM   #6
gator2511

Talking Re: Dizzy setting?

Now that I think back on it I did snatch the dizzy out pretty fast and if the oil pump was in a slack or loose spot I guess it could have spun around just enough to deep the dizzy from sitting back down. I've been playing with small block motors since 1960 and I never had that happen before. Its running now though!
Old 05-23-2007, 10:48 PM   #7
RACINJASON22
GEARHEAD

As you pull the dizzy out that same roll back of the dizzy to the cam gear moves the oil pump shaft back.

Thats why you have to move the shaft that little bit to make it seat back down correct.

This is where alot of guys bump the key and it pulls the dist down as it corrects itself. Personally I feel this leaves to much room for error and I never do it but, I have seen many do it with out a problem.

IMO its just easier to turn the shaft with a long screw driver and place it right.

RJ22...

SUBSCRIBE HEREBOARD VENDORS HERE

NORWOOD MEET SURVIVOR!
RACINJASON22 is offline   Reply With Quote