The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2007, 03:26 PM   #1
El Bombero

AirRide Air over Leaf ?

So I'm looking into AirRide Technologies Air over Leaf set up for the rear of my truck. I dont know why, but I just dont understand how the hell that is supposed to work. I thought I would ask you guys before I called them. Do the shackles pivot? Or is it just not adjustable like traditional bags. Thanks guys, i tend to be kinda dense now and then.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:12 PM   #2
El Bombero

Re: AirRide Air over Leaf ?

ok i did a little more research on the subject. Put me down for one asshat in a size 7 3/8. thanks. New question. Would I be a whole lot happier with a four link-trailering arm conversion? Or do you guys that have an installed Air over leaf set up never dream of having anything else? what do ya think? I want to go low, not frame laying low, but low. I admire simplicity, keeping it basic style trucks. thanks again fellas

Old 12-12-2007, 04:45 PM   #3
TravisH

Air over leaf works well in dropped applications because of the simplicity. A 4 link suspension is a lot more complex and expensive.

Don't take offence but if you were asking how a aol works then building a 4 link is probably too complex for you. As far as what you'd be happier with it depends on what your application is going to be. From the sounds of it you want a lowered street cruiser so I'd recommend the aol setup for you
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:50 PM   #4
7T2

Four link is more work, but a nicer way to go. I did Air OverLeaf on my ambulance and it has worked out OK so far, but I'd like to go a little lower and probably can't because of how the brackets are bolted in. You also have to remove most of your leaf springs for it to work. The ones I left in now invert themselves when the rear is fully lowered. Air Ride tells me this shouldn't be a problem, but it doesn't seem like the best thing for the springs to me.
1969 Chevy C10 Short Bed
1972 Chevy C10 Long Bed *SOLD*
1996 C3500 Dually *SOLD*
7T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:22 PM   #5
El Bombero

"Don't take offence but if you were asking how a aol works then building a 4 link is probably too complex for you."

Your absolutly right It probably is too complex for me, but at least im not in denial about it so my truck wont have to suffer from it ya know what I mean? I'm sure we have all seen thoes people in life that dont know Sh*t about something and cant admit it. ***"Hi my name is Jeff and I'm new!" "Hi Jeff".*** I appreciate your honesty. My truck is a daily learning experience - and thats why I love it. I dont know where I'd be if I didnt have this website and everyone on it to help me!!! Anyway, Thanks for the replys, its much appreciated!

7T2; I work Fire/EMS I'd love to see a pic of the ambulance if ya have one available

Last edited by El Bombero; 12-12-2007 at 05:24 PM. Reason: forgot something
El Bombero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:28 PM   #6
xtreme80
Wishin' I had more money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bombero View Post
ok i did a little more research on the subject. Put me down for one asshat in a size 7 3/8. thanks. New question. Would I be a whole lot happier with a four link-trailering arm conversion? Or do you guys that have an installed Air over leaf set up never dream of having anything else? what do ya think? I want to go low, not frame laying low, but low. I admire simplicity, keeping it basic style trucks. thanks again fellas

Plain and simple, it depends on what you want to do with the truck.

Are you wanting to be able to play around and stop lights, mess around, and generally be switch happy, or is it something you want to just park and air out, then air up again to drive?

If you wanna be a switch whore, like most people do, you will be MUCH happier with a 4 link setup. It's more work, but it's very clean if it's done right. You definitely want to notch the frame so you can go lower, but if you're gonna do all the work to notch the frame, you might as well put a step notch in, and just lay frame. What's wrong with that?!

Just make sure you know what you want, that's the biggest thing. Don't skimp out early, or you will regret it later. Maybe find someone in your area with a bagged truck and go for a couple rides. Then you can determine if you want to lay frame, do a 4 link, or just do a simple setup. It's a whole lot easier to just do it all at once then to change from a simple to a more complex design.

Any more questions feel free to PM me.
xtreme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:32 PM   #7
xtreme80
Wishin' I had more money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7T2 View Post
Four link is more work, but a nicer way to go. I did Air OverLeaf on my ambulance and it has worked out OK so far, but I'd like to go a little lower and probably can't because of how the brackets are bolted in. You also have to remove most of your leaf springs for it to work. The ones I left in now invert themselves when the rear is fully lowered. Air Ride tells me this shouldn't be a problem, but it doesn't seem like the best thing for the springs to me.
And you are correct. Air over leaf puts alot of unnecissary(sp) tension on the leaf springs. Flexing will wear them out, and affect your ride quality and function. Lots of guys will tell you it's fine, but alot will also disagree. Leaf springs weren't meant to be bent backwards.
xtreme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:50 PM   #8
Ackattack

I thought of something like this for my GMC.

Here's my problem with it. I would think when you remove a lot of leaves, you will get severe axle wrap and wheel hop.

For extra load capacity I think it would work well, but for lowering....not so well.

Why not just switch to a stock style trailing arm suspension with air bags?
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:51 PM   #9
C10-Driver
Chevy Truck Addict

I installed the Air-Over-Leaf system in my truck and my leaves do not bend backwards. The rear axle is flipped to the bottom so if they bent backwards the axle would be sitting above the top of the frame.

The brackets and bags should be installed so that at ride height the bag measure about 8-9 inches. Completely deflated, the truck will rest solely on the spring so your max "static" drop will be as low as you can go. I left 3 leaves in mine and combined with a lowering block and 1" drop shackle, I have about 9" total which rests the axle inside the notch

N2TRUX also used this type of system on his truck and has some good photos of his setup on page 2 of this photo album. http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290400437

Here are a couple of pics of mine. The frame pictures are at about ride height. The "completed" picture is "aired-out".

Name:  RearBags2.jpg
Views: 1416
Size:  70.7 KB

Name:  RearBags3.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  42.7 KB

Name:  AiredOut.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  84.0 KB
1970 Pontiac Lemans
C10-Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:37 PM   #10
7T2

I have not flipped my axle yet, so that may solve the "problem". I haven't installed a notch yet either, so when I am aired out my axle rests on the bump stops. It's almost as low as I want it that way, but not quite. It wasn't worth all the extra trouble last year to install a flip kit and notches right before Goodguys, so I left it alone.

Flip kit should get me where I want to be, along with some 1"-2" spindles up front. Max ride height right now is higher than it was when it was stock.
1969 Chevy C10 Short Bed
1972 Chevy C10 Long Bed *SOLD*
1996 C3500 Dually *SOLD*

Last edited by 7T2; 12-12-2007 at 08:40 PM.
7T2 is offline   Reply With Quote