The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
RocketChevy56
Certified BFH Operator

Best Blowthrough carb??

I recently grenaded my 305ci, and picked up a 350 pretty cheap. I took it to the machine shop and did all the usual stuff (punched it .030 over, new cam bearings, freeze plugs and blah blah) anyway, i put all forged internals and some nice machined heads. I plan on running a single turbo (gtk1000?) I dont want to run too much boost as this is my daily driver. But I still want to run a carb only for the fact that an efi system isn't in the budget. Who makes the best blowthrough carb? Anyone had a similar build to compare notes with? Thanks.

-1997 Z/28 - LT1/T-56 - Bolt ons, 9 inch, built trans/clutch and on the bottle
RocketChevy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:00 PM   #2
straitnate14

Re: Best Blowthrough carb??

how much boost are you planing on running?
Old 10-06-2008, 03:32 PM   #3
70rs/ss

There are several blow through set-ups, some with a housing to pressurize the whole carb vs the hat style, I'd guess summit will sell several variations, and the holley/demon style is what I'd stick with (possibly a proform). I want to turbo one as well so I am going to watch out for this to see how it goes!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:42 PM   #4
RocketChevy56
Certified BFH Operator

I'm looking for somewhere around 9psi ish. I don't want to have to run additives to 93 octane or change my timing all the time just to run it. I'm hoping for around 450-500rwhp, but I'm not going to hold my breath, I'm not doing it for the numbers. I have a street demon 650 now thats only got like 5000 miles on it, and I've enjoyed it. So I would definitely prefer a demon or holley like Rs/ss is recommending. I've seen the proforms but haven't talked to anyone that has run them. Most people that do turbo sbc's usually splurge for the aftermarket efi setups. I'm trying to be old school about it

Old 10-06-2008, 04:44 PM   #5
70rs/ss

You may be able to have your existing carb modded to handle the extra psi? Not sure maybe a google for blow through carb mods??
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:44 PM   #6
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Procharger recomended The Carb Shop. I beleive they are in Ontario Ca. Anyway, thats who did mine.
Carbs actually have some advantages over EFI. Easier to tune and less likely to cause predetonation. If you are running 15 psi or less, thats the way to go...imho
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:52 PM   #7
straitnate14

you can get the Boost Timing Master like what I got, it will automaticly retard timing by boost up to 3 degrees per pound of boost I can run on 89 if I turn it all the way to 3 but it's better if you turn it to 1 and run on 93
Old 10-06-2008, 09:17 PM   #8
straitnate14

are you sure you want to run a turbo? you could get a weiand 177 and throw 9psi and it would probly be cheaper than a turbo since all you have to get is the blower, intake gaskets, carb, and a boost controler if you want to be safe, oh and a set of spark plugs http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 10-06-2008, 10:14 PM   #9
custom72c20

quick fuel makes some good carbs also. if you want to make 550hp at the wheels i think you may have to run more boost. your going to have to make around 600-625hp at the crank. sounds sweet though. good luck.

Old pic of my 72: http://img340.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0435co5.jpg
04 Silverado Daily Driver
68 GMC short step http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=379665

"I'll beat you to the gas station!!"

custom72c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:44 AM   #10
RocketChevy56
Certified BFH Operator

I've looked at some blowthrough mods for the carb I got. Not sure I want to destroy it like a couple places recommended. there are kits and stuff I can buy but most just recommend a purpose built carb. I've heard of the Carb shop before and I wouldn't mind looking them up. Are they reasonable? IT sounds worth it. I was planning on running some kind of boost control, what kind do you have Strait? MSD?

Last edited by RocketChevy56; 10-07-2008 at 09:46 AM. Reason: miswording
Old 10-07-2008, 11:56 PM   #11
straitnate14

Ya I have the msd boost timming master, it's not realy needed for what I run as far as the boost I got but I call it the gatway blower, I can see only superchargers for rest of my projects whatever they may be, A 64 chevy 2 with a blown 5.3 would be a nice family car when I get to that point in life?
Old 10-08-2008, 09:40 AM   #12
RocketChevy56
Certified BFH Operator

anything to ensure peace of mind when driving is worth it. an extra controller is worth that much. And you are definitly right about that family car!!! Wish my dad would have toted me around in a boosted chevy II. I got a '71 El Camino instead This one is my first boosted app. and so long as its not a total failure, I can see others. I'm not biased between sc and turbo's, I just don't see that many turbo trucks around. A few friends have little turbo crackerjack cars and when we mess around I can eat them off the line til about the top of 2nd, then they just shoot by me like I'm standing still. They don't know I'm building this engine so It will be a nice slap in the face hopefully

Old 10-09-2008, 05:52 PM   #13
straitnate14

^I always love a good slap in the face,

Did you see the guy on here that did the 305 tt setup, You should talk to him about your setup and see what he says. But what would realy be sweet is two turbos hiding behind the rear axle to keep them scratching there heads
Old 10-09-2008, 06:19 PM   #14
RocketChevy56
Certified BFH Operator

No, I haven't seen it. do you remember his name? I'd def like to talk with him about some things and compare notes. I was thinking about rear mount turbo's just to throw everyone off, I actually made a carb bonnet that looks like a normal open air filter but the tube runs up the back by the distributor, its really hard to see if your not looking for it and would be perfect for such a setup. I haven't bought the turbo or components yet, so its not entirely out of the question. I wouldn't mind blowing by a couple high school kids and popping my hood and finding nothing out of the ordinary except some extra plumbing

Old 10-12-2008, 03:44 PM   #15
71/454
Turbo Guy

I built my own holley carb for my twin setup but you can buy them done already at places like the carb shop and CSU. check out the turboforums.com for lots of info or pm me for contact info, I can pretty much tell you what to buy for plumbing as I finished mine not too long ago

Things I've broken so far:
12 bolt diff
saginaw 4 spd many, many pieces
Aluminum case Super t-10 4 spd
71/454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:09 PM   #16
straitnate14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketChevy56 View Post
I wouldn't mind blowing by a couple high school kids and popping my hood and finding nothing out of the ordinary except some extra plumbing
Ya my truck used to be very quiet as far as the blower wine but ever since I did my exaust it has been very noticible. My new blower also has a whistle at and around idle that is pretty sweet
Old 10-14-2008, 12:17 PM   #17
RocketChevy56
Certified BFH Operator

its an amazing sound first thing in the morning I'm sure. You got me debating on a s/c now!!

Old 10-14-2008, 09:58 PM   #18
straitnate14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketChevy56 View Post
its an amazing sound first thing in the morning I'm sure. You got me debating on a s/c now!!
Oh I'm trying

Turbos are cool but I would just hate to deal with all the plumming, 8 bolts and my carb and supercharger are off and I'm looking at intake. It doesnt have any lag and pulls hard all the way up to 5000 when I get scared. And it's pretty easy to tune, but I do cheat I have a wideband air/fuel meter.

Last edited by straitnate14; 10-14-2008 at 10:00 PM.
straitnate14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:55 PM   #19
RocketChevy56
Certified BFH Operator

Alright, well now I'm hooked. I called Summit about some pricing and tech questions, and I was told that I would have major clearance issues with the supercharger if I kept my march serpentine kit and long water pump that I have. Did you have any trouble? or are you running v-belts?

Old 10-15-2008, 07:39 PM   #20
straitnate14

Ya I'm runnind v belts, I didnt think about that. Are you gettting a whole new motor or are working with the 305? you could sell the serpenteen setup and put it into the carb, or boost controler. I dont know why they would say you would have trouble with a long water pump? Thats what I'm running. To tell you the truth the hardest part was getting all my pullies right, I got a box full of diffrent pullies that I tryed and still have to send back.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:48 PM   #21
RocketChevy56
Certified BFH Operator

Ya, new motor. 355ci. I was thinking that I could ebay or sell my serpentine on the parts board, but I just know that someone has a serpentine and a s/c. It can't be that much of a nightmare (I hope) Looks like I'll be keeping that long water pump then, if you have one. No reason to change if I don't need to