The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
77chris03

need sugestions and tips please!!!!

I have a question on this subject also. I will upload pics as soon as I get rubber. K. Here goes. I converted the whole driveline to disc and 5 lug. It's orig. a 68 swb. Everything is 1971 spindles and had to go thru 6 sets of control arms to find a good set. I bought some drop springs 2/4. 200 bucks for the whole set. If I go with the 2" drop springs in the front and 4" in the rear will a 2" lowering block level the truck off? It would then be a 2/6 drop. The weight of the engine should bring the front down a lil but.....I don't know. Someone please pm me so I know what to do.
Motor is as follows. 1970 sbc350 .040 over. Makes a 357. Nothing overkill. All federal mogul or speedpro except main, rod, and cam bearings are clevite. Flat top 4 valve releif pistons. Rv cam(440/460) and 1.6 alum roller rockers. Cloyes double roller timing chain. Crane pushrods edelbrock performer with holley 600 elec choke with holley 80 gph mech fuel pump. All billet alum brackets and stainless hardware. Don't know how to upload a pic or I would of the engine. Someone told me my combination is gonna be too much for the 68 swb I'm building. 357 with 700r4 and 3.07 limited What do u think?
77chris03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
LowBow
Self Made Hundredaire

Re: need sugestions and tips please!!!!

I think* that the two inch blocks will make it sit higher in the front, so if anything, maybe some one inch blocks. I would put the springs in, drive around for a while (month or so) to let the springs settle, then decide. Putting the blocks in is relatively easy.
As far as the motor being too much for the truck, do you mean as far as getting traction, or just frame twisting power? Cause I kinda doubt either will be an issue, not with that gearing, and not with these frames.
Hope that helps, I'm no expert, so maybe someone else can confirm or deny my assumptions.
LowBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:42 PM   #3
4tiresngas
An American Soldier

I don't lmow that a 2/6 drop would be level. I have 2 1/2" drop spindles with stock height springs up front and 4' drop springs in the back and my truck is pretty level.

dan.brue@us.army.mil
4tiresngas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:16 AM   #4
unclewatts
70 Chevrolet=Obsession

2/4 should be pretty close to level.

I'm Just like my truck. Old, Ugly and Grouchy. Except my truck starts easily in the morning and doesn't smoke!

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN! -Kermit the frog

1970 Chevrolet C-10 Longbed Stepside :
350, Muncie M20, 3.08 GM corp. positraction Forest green exterior/light green interior(Where all my money goes)

1996 Toyota Corolla (Parts runner)
unclewatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:39 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Someone may have been talking about the cam & rear gearing.That`s just a matter of the right stall torque converter.

2/4 is pretty much level.You could tweak it with blocks in the rear in whatever thickness you want,up to 2".Just get it put together and check it.Then,decide.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:44 AM   #6
rwolf9653
more ideas than money

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowBow View Post
I think* that the two inch blocks will make it sit higher in the front, so if anything, maybe some one inch blocks. I would put the springs in, drive around for a while (month or so) to let the springs settle, then decide. Putting the blocks in is relatively easy.
As far as the motor being too much for the truck, do you mean as far as getting traction, or just frame twisting power? Cause I kinda doubt either will be an issue, not with that gearing, and not with these frames.
Hope that helps, I'm no expert, so maybe someone else can confirm or deny my assumptions.
I will simply confirm these thoughts as what I would have said. Best way to go in my opinion.

1948 Chevy 3100 5 window
1966 Chevy C30 Dually
1967 Chevy K10
1972 Chevy K20
1972 Chevy C10
1972 Chevy K5 Blazer
1987 Chevy V10
2003 Chevy Suburban
rwolf9653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:46 PM   #7
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I think the 2 1/2-4 drop sits level on "most" trucks.They are 40 years old and not all of them lived a "good" life so they sits a little different from each other.
I don't think your combo is gonna be too much but I think you may want to change gears once you get it up and running.The 3:07 is gonna be a little high for grunt on take off and may run under the power band on the hiway.Just info I have gleaned from the fine folks on the BB.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:01 PM   #8
77chris03

thanks for everyone opinion. i went ahead and ordered 1 inch blocks for the rear. i agree on the changing of the gears but im gonna have to stick with the 3.07 til its up and running. beautiful truck 4tiresngas. how do u upload pics?
77chris03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:26 PM   #9
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

chris,when you post or reply use the "Go advanced" feature on the lower part of the page.It will give you a chance to "manage attachments".The set-up will pretty much walk you through attaching a pic.It ain't that hard cause I can do it sometimes.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote