The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
6600DURAMAX

Trans. Cooler Location

I have a 72 4x4 - 468 with a Turbo 350. I plan on adding a B&M trans cooler with fan. I was think of locating it under the pass. side cab on the outside of the frame. Would this location provide ample airflow?? Or does it have to go up in the front of the radiator. If it does go up in front should you run the trans lines to the cooler then to the radiator, opposite, or just to the cooler itself?

If I can run it under the pass side cab it would limit how much stainless hose I have to buy? Plus I plan on adding AC, and I dont want the cooler in the way of the condenser?

Ideas, thoughts

thanks guys

1971 CREWMAX Build.....at body shop for couple more years
6600DURAMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: Trans. Cooler Location

I mounted mine to the radiator (a/c condensor) on the right side (passenger) and passed the cooler lines over the top of the radiator support. It was a temporary installation that lasted for several years. I had installed a new radiator and gilflirted the end of one cooler fitting and it wouldn't thread into the bottom radiator fitting. I never had any issues with the tranmission getting hot (no guage), nor any overheating of the cooling system with the cooler in front of the radiator.

Would it have looked more aesthetic if I had mounted it beneath the truck? It's possible, but my truck is lowered and any mounting that would have generated enough air flow would have found me mounting it in an iffy location. My plan is to install bulkhead fittings and re-route the cooler lines.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
mikeoj

I had a 454/400 with the set up you are suggesting.The fan creates the air flow.Just make sure the air flow is downward as not to suck road junk up.The reason I said had,is because I'm going to experiment with a 700R.
mikeoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:35 PM   #4
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

With the fan you can mount it anywhere basically. As long as that fan can move air your good.
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
big_al_71

We mounted mine on the drivers side attached to the radiator support and ran the lines back thru the frame..look below:
Attached Images

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:50 PM   #6
6600DURAMAX

Nice clean setup Big Al I was originally going to mount it there but at the expense of the stainless steel hose, I just thought keeping it closer to the trans could save some dough. Just wanted to make sure that location was good enough.

1971 CREWMAX Build.....at body shop for couple more years
6600DURAMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:53 PM   #7
spinning wheels

Mount it up front, to get the maximum air flow, even with the fan setup.
One other option is to run the long, about 8 inch high coolers. Much like the newer Ford trucks do. They mount them low, in front of the radiator.
Personally, I have by passed my radiator tank. I have not installed a tranny temp gauge yet. Considering that most trannys run hotter than motor oil in the engine, or the cooling liquid in the engine, you should be able to run the tranny lines into the radiator cooling tanks.
Maybe you can try experimenting with either setup. Just don't run the SS lines until you have determined which setup works best.
Check the temp with a tranny fluid temp, or a piro gun. But that's what I would do, cause I love to tinker with stuff.
Good luck

Last edited by spinning wheels; 02-21-2009 at 09:54 PM.
spinning wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:09 AM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

I put mine between the condensor and radiator. Ran the lines to both coolers. I mounted the coolier so the lines come in at the top.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:28 AM   #9
see ten
WTB this ad

You could mount one like this on the frame without a fan.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-AL...QQcmdZViewItem

We're using one on my brother in laws camaro. So far so good! They're available in different lengths. I'd get the longest one that I thought I could fit in there. You can also get em with fittings on both ends. I prefer them to have them on just one end. It cut down on the amount of tubing we had to use to plumb it that way.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:45 AM   #10
cparman
sharp as a marble

I might suggest you run the transmission lines ( hard lines ) in a stock location into the radiator and then out of the radiator to your external cooler. If the trans fluid goes into the radiator cooler and then out to an external cooler, it will help regulate the trans fluid temp. Trans fluid likes to be warm but not too hot. I did the in and out thing on my 67 Chevelle, ZZ502,700r and it worked great in sunny florida. This would also keep you from buying a bunch of expensive line.
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:48 AM   #11
cdowns

a downside to mounting under the cab is the chance of road debris bouncing up and whiping it and the tranny out//i too suggest going thru the rad then into the cooler in front of the rad
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #12
Andy4639
Old member

Yes if you mount it under the truck be sure and have it in a safe place for road debri not to hit it also if you live in the upper states when it snows and such it will build up under there if you drive it.

Mine is also running through both coolers and it's got over 150,000 miles on the transmission.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote