The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
JAB'70

Can get that darn Pitman Arm OFF!!!

I'm in the process of changing out my power steering box, ps pump and since I had everything thorn down and pulled off I decided to go ahead and replace the pitman arm. Bing pulled off the front end from the ps box, not problem. I can not for the life of me get the tie rod end off. Yes, I'm using a pitman arm/tie rod end puller, I also tried using a pulley puller also. I will not budge. Turned a two hour job into a when I get time to do it job.

Happy 4th...
USN Retired
JAB'70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:17 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Can get that darn Pitman Arm OFF!!!

Probably time to find a friend or may buy or rent a small torch and heat the outside to expand it.

Year ago a friend told me to use a propane to remove a stubborn tie rod, but I'm not sure if propane would get it hot quickly enough on the outside to pop it loose.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
cparman
sharp as a marble

I want to make sure I understand what will not come off? You are trying to get the center link/drag link off of the pitman arm? If so, and you have the steering box still bolted in place, a hammer and a couple of hard blows to the pitman arm where the center link attaches will usually vibrate the center link loose. Now I mean do not swing that hammer like a sissy, hit it like you mean it!! You will need a pitman arm puller to remove the pitman arm from the steering box
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Like cparman said,ya gotta let it know you're there.I use a 4# engineers hammer and it usually takes a few swats to get a good angle on it.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:46 PM   #5
Bus Ted Knuckle
Son of a gun

Go to the parts store and get puller on the loaner tool program. It won't cost a dime after you get your deposit back.

BEATERS ARE NEATER
Bus Ted Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
JAB'70

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparman View Post
I want to make sure I understand what will not come off? You are trying to get the center link/drag link off of the pitman arm? If so, and you have the steering box still bolted in place, a hammer and a couple of hard blows to the pitman arm where the center link attaches will usually vibrate the center link loose. Now I mean do not swing that hammer like a sissy, hit it like you mean it!! You will need a pitman arm puller to remove the pitman arm from the steering box

The gear box is off. The center attached to the gear box was not a problem. The back end connected to the tierod is what stuck in place.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:32 AM   #7
JAB'70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus Ted Knuckle View Post
Go to the parts store and get puller on the loaner tool program. It won't cost a dime after you get your deposit back.
I've been there. I have my own puller. Went to the AP store rented a tri-armed puller. Would not budge. Its been sitting for a few days, I might try it one more time before I take the hammer to it....
Old 07-09-2009, 09:45 AM   #8
craig24671

i'm with cparman, couple a hard blows with a hammer always worked for me. just leave the nut on loose just in case you miss.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:11 AM   #9
Blue71LWB

I've only done this a time or two , but it sounds like you may have taken the wrong side off first.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:14 AM   #10
mr48chev

I have used a big hammer to pop tierod ends and ball joints loose for the past 40 years.

The key is to hit the piece that the stud on the tie rod or ball joint is going through square and at 90 degrees to the stud.

DO NOT under any circumstance hit the end of the stud on the item being removed if you intend to reuse the piece. The threads get damaged beyond repair easily and the part doesn't come out anyhow.

I don't like using a pickle fork to knock the ends out unless I am going to throw them away.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote