The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
nbpro
Account Suspended

81 Tilt Steering Column Question

We're in the process of restoring an 81 GMC Sierra 1500 1/2 ton, 305 motor, automatic. Somewhere along the line, someone has broken the bowl that surrounds the turn signal/tilt wheel, etc. I am able to find a repair kit for 88 and up, but nothing for an 81. Is there anything that is interchangeable? Any assistance would be appreciated.
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
87Bob

Re: 81 Tilt Steering Column Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbpro View Post
We're in the process of restoring an 81 GMC Sierra 1500 1/2 ton, 305 motor, automatic. Somewhere along the line, someone has broken the bowl that surrounds the turn signal/tilt wheel, etc. I am able to find a repair kit for 88 and up, but nothing for an 81. Is there anything that is interchangeable? Any assistance would be appreciated.
I believe that you will find lots of columns the will have the part you need in the wrecking yards. I suggest you take the broken one with you and hit the wrecking yards. Do a bit of comparison shopping while the entire column may be different between say the van and pickups the part you're looking for may be the same. I just checked my 85 Non-tilt column (still in the truck) and the the tilt column I plan to put in it. They both have the same bowl you make reference to. GM would usually try to make one part fit as many applications as they could. Good Luck!

Also look at 3/4 ton and one ton trucks and various car models. GM used parts across many different product lines.

Last edited by 87Bob; 10-21-2009 at 03:55 PM. Reason: More info
87Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:22 PM   #3
85X3

Tilt and Non-tilt housings do not interchange. I've bought a repair kit on eBay before for around $35.00. There is also a website that has the parts you need, but I don't know the url right offhand. Housings are pretty much the same for many years and models until they went to column mounted dimmer switch. Also check local body shops that do theft recovery repair. They will have a supplier, or even a GM part number. Good luck.
85X3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:53 AM   #4
nbpro
Account Suspended

ty for the Replys
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote