The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2009, 12:24 AM   #1
steve23116

s10 swap cost

Could someone give me an idea of what it might cost to take an s10 and a 1950 chevy to a shop to have the body mounted and the wiring done? I got an ezswap kit, but I really don't have the mechanical ability or resources to do it myself. Just need a ballpark figure, I've talked to a couple of people and got ridiculous prices like $15000. Just wanted some opinions.
steve23116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:06 AM   #2
cajundragger

Re: s10 swap cost

from what I understand somebody makes brackets that bolt the body to the frame. Easy as cake.

Now who makes these brackets I dont remember.
cajundragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:35 AM   #3
steve23116

Changing the bodies I could handle, getting the wiring back in and everything working is my main problem. I just thought it might be better to have it done. Just can't afford the prices I'm getting.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:14 AM   #4
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

This is just my guess. But, I would think if you're looking for one-stop-shopping where one shop does it all, you'd probably have to go to an actual hot-rod shop, and I'd say they'd be very expensive.
You could possibly take the stripped S-10 frame and the 50 to a welding/fabrication shop and have them do the body swap.
Are you going to run the S-10 drivetrain? Can you find a friend who knows how to hook up the wiring harness and ECM?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Steve,

It is good to know the limits of your ability AND your checkbook.

My son and I had spent a couple of years working on his '54. We'd installed a 327/NV3500, a 4x4 rear end, 2" wheel spacers front and rear, and a Blazer fuel tank. We'd put in the Autometer gauges and an '88 bench seat. We'd also worked with a friend to mount the stock column with bushing to the S10 box. We had built our own mounts for the cab, bed, and front radiator supports.

A group of us had gotten together in April 08 and run all the brakes and had them functional.

We tinkered with stuff like inner fenders and modifications to the front mounts all summer. As winter 08/09 came, I realized I was out of ability! I ran the wiring harness TO the areas they go to and wrapped them with cable ties. That's when I called a friend with a shop.

Super Bowl Sunday this year we hauled it in. We worked 5-8 hours each day from Sunday to Friday night. We were able to use the lights, prime the electric fuel pump, and crank the engine. Still some things to do the following weeks and we fired on 9 March.

The bill? Well, if he'd charged us shop time for his time, it was about 30 hours, probably more. Fees of about $200 for grade 8s, battery, cables, wire ends, etc. Extras of about $200 more for our NAPA runs.

What we got out of it was an experience and an education. I have the utmost respect for this gent. Court has a truck he can drive!

I know if I did it again, I'd have problems but I've got much more confidence now.

Try to go as far as you can. You've got the kit, strip the frame and install it. Get a cherry picker and put the cab on. Mount the bed. Mount what you can. Look for help along the way!
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

(I'm making this 2 posts because I had a big long one typed and got the blue screen of death...)

The "How to Wire Your Streetrod" booklet isn't enough for me to wire up a car. It is a nice idea but I needed help. My friend's help covered that and he could write the book himself. He also built a clutch slave bracket and a PS mount. He had the right tools for the job. I ran fuel lines and mounted the fuel regulator. Courtland worked hand in hand with him and learned a ton and did a ton. It was a great experience for all of us.

If I had your parts and a place to do it, I'd say it would take me a month to 6 weeks of evenings and weekends to put it all together. If you figure that as hours, probably 200-250. If it is a $50/hr shop, thats where they get the $10,000-12,500 price tag. I'd do all I could as far as I could and spend the $2000 or whatever to get it finished if I were going that route.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:31 AM   #7
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

(OK, 3, I'm nervous it's going to happen again!)

There are lots of guys here who have done this swap, lots more in process, and lots of other places like HAMB, Stovebolt, Killbillet, etc. I have a HAMB guy who has signed up just to ask questions. He PMs me about every 3-4 weeks as he's building a truck with his son. He's not in a hurry but I'll go out with my phone and a digital camera and take shots of the truck to document and make recommendations of what I would and would not do again. I'm sure there are others willing to do this.

Think about it before you throw in the towel! If you want a finished truck, just buy one. It'll be less than what that shop will charge you and you can sell your stash of parts to cover part of it! But that isn't why this is a hobby, now is it?

Last edited by Dan Bowles; 12-07-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #8
54 jimmy

i agree do what you can as much as you can. my truck has been a 7 year project. i bought my when i was 20 and it has survived two girlfriends . a marrage and two kids in those seven years. it may take a while but keep at it. mine still isn't done but it's getting close. if you were closer i would be glad to come give you a hand but you are too far away. maybe someone on the forum here is close and could help. that's the kind of people that are on this forum always will ing to help if the can. hope you don't give up just take it one step at a time set small goals for yourself. i did. start with the frame get the mounts on the s10 frame then get the drive train in then get the body mounted. after the big stuff is done worry about the smaller stuff like brake pedad a coulmn,seats/seat ,wiring. and then if you are going to paint it you get to rip it all apart to paint it then put it back together again. trust me i've take my truck apart a doze times and put it back together. i am just finishing my wireing in my truck it is the s10 wiring modifyed to work with a carb motor. good luck.
2008jeep patriot (wife's daily driver
2008 chevy 1500 ext cab 4x4 sold
2011 chevy 1500 crew cab ltz (daily driver)
1996 chevy 1500 reg cab 4x4 project sold
2006 pontiac grand prix gxp (daily work commuter)
54 jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:11 PM   #9
ClassicDreamer

I had this done by a shop by me for my 54. He made his own mounts and body dropped it at the same time. Cost me around $1200 total. The truck is still in the midst of being built.
As for wiring. Just unplug and label everything in your truck. Rewiring and connecting should be pretty easy. s10 frames can be had for close to nothing.
ClassicDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:32 PM   #10
1950 GMC

From one novice builder to another take a deep breath. Look at your build as Lego instructions one step at a time and you will find plenty of pics here. When I look at the build in total I about have a panic attack and think I'm way over my head. The truth is I am in over my head but with the help of people on this forum I know I can accomplish this build. Start following as many builds as you can and start asking questions even if you think they are basic and stupid God knows I have. People will respond amazingly fast, heck I dont even respond to family as quick as these guys will email you drawings and such. Right now I'm building up my tool collection. I even created my own step by step build guide but stopped at step 3 because I didnt want to get overwhelmed. Good luck and again ask questions you will get the help that you need. Also join a truck club you will find so many people locally that will help and can recommend the people in your area who can help. Key word is help. My club pres gave me a contact of a painter that will let me help with all the body repair to keep the costs as low as possible. Oh 1 last thing subscibe to some magazines too.

Thanks,
Garrett

My 1950 GMC Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=351867
My 1950 GMC Photobucket Account:
http://s565.photobucket.com/albums/ss95/1950GMC/
1950 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:27 PM   #11
steve23116

thanks for the encouragement guys. I'm not quitting. Just going a different route. The truck is actually gonna be for my youngest son, so we got about a year and a half before it needs to be done. I've got a really good donor s10 and we're going to use everything we can off of it. Drive train and all. 4.3 auto. The price classic dreamer was talking about ($1200) was the prices I was expecting maybe up to $2000. Just when the guy said 15000 to mount the body and wire it suprised me, seemed a little extreme. lol. Thanks for the offers to help. By the way Cajundragger, my boys name is Cajun (real name not a nickname) Thanks again guys.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:04 PM   #12
53GMC

DEEP Breath! im using a 4.3 auto as well and ill tell you, i had my whole family telling me not to waste my time....but as i look at it, i gained experience and knowledge that is well worth the hours put in and money spent - even if my truck never got finished i would be happy with the experience....from one beginner to another, take your time with it...if you try to do too much too fast you will get burnt out on it really quickly and get disappointed.....patience was the key for me to learn but like i said, the lessons i learned were well worth the time...any advice you need there are plenty of great guys on here to give you TOP NOTCH advice......all ya gotta do is ask!

good luck!
53GMC
53GMC is offline   Reply With Quote