The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2009, 02:53 AM   #1
youhaveamonkey

99 burb steering questions

Ok gents, I am TOTALLY confused. Its a 99 gmc suburban. 135000 miles on it. I got new tires today. Told them that I wanted an alignment. They told me that my steering components were loose/ warn and needed replacement. I saw what they were talking about. Idler arm, pittman arm and the center link.

First real question: do you think I could do this myself? I am fairly mechanical, but have never done steering stuff before, any advice?

Second real question: My tires (front) are wearing on the outside edge-- that is why I got new tires. I thought that this was a camber (?) issue. Is this correctable with the steering parts? I don't think that is the case??

Anyway, THANK YOU ALL FOR THE INPUT!!!
youhaveamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
clinebarger

Re: 99 burb steering questions

The pitman arm & idler arm are notoriuos for wearing out, the center link is a none wear item. unless its bent or somthing it should be good. too much positive camber can cause outer tire wear but its probably toe in thats causing the tire wear. If you have never done front end work before its probably better to have someone else do it. you need a puller for the pitman arm and a 1' 5/16" socket, big hammer, grease gun, metric hand tools and sockets, extensions. air tools help out alot.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
aggiedave98

Re: 99 burb steering questions

It's not that hard to do that work and you can "rent" the tools for free from an auto store. The biggest problem I had was that big bolt... you need a long breaker bar with a pipe on it likely.
aggiedave98 is offline   Reply With Quote