The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
JimmyFloyd

Is this a factory floor brace?

Just looking at pictures from RustyParts thread, and I borrowed one of this pictures.

Is this brace a factory brace for the body mount, and if so, how it is attached to the floor? Mine has it too and I thought the PO just left it from the original floor. If anyone has other pictures of how it is attached, or how they did this area, i would love to see them.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
lks dcvn

Re: Is this a factory floor brace?

That piece is integral to the floor structure. It is supported front to back by a support beam that runs under the floor from the firewall to the bed.

It houses the blazer body mount bolts and also provides support for the floor pan.

In my build thread I didn't take any pix of the bare floor out and that support left there - but it is a thicker gauge metal than the surrounding floor so it should still be present.

Pic 1 is the floor being mocked up to that piece
Pic 2 [different angle] you can see the 'sharpie' outline of that piece under the floor pan
Pic 3 is a shot from underneath with the torsion box removed and you can see the support that runs the length of the floor
Attached Images

lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
JimmyFloyd

Thanks for the pictures and the information. They help a lot. This is what my PO did on my truck. You can see here it kept the brace (thankfully) but overlapped the floor at the front. That jagged part on the left is where the body seem is supposed to be, so I think I'll have to rebuild that area after taking the floor piece out.

And this is what it looks like top side. He just cut the hole out around the bolt in the new floor, not just for the bolt itself. You can also see his lovely welfing job at the top.

My worry right now is that the front is out of line since he did all this replacement without new body mounts or bracing. I would like to see if someone has any bolt-in braces for the cowl/windshield area that could be bolted in to get the proper distance, or at the very least, the measurements for them. It would also be great if I could find bolt in door braces that I have seen some people make.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
lks dcvn

Well - I have to ask...

Are the doors, etc. on the truck? Do they fit? Are there issues?
Old 05-04-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
JimmyFloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lks dcvn View Post
Well - I have to ask...

Are the doors, etc. on the truck? Do they fit? Are there issues?
Yes, the doors are on it, but they are just the shells and window parts, no lock hardware or anything. And right now, when I close the driver's door, the bottom hit, but I am thinking it's from some sagging cause the top is not attached and on right at the moment.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
lks dcvn

I would bolt on the top to the bedside and the w/s frame and see how the doors line up - it might not be as bad as you think.

Or it could be a lot worse...
Old 05-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
JimmyFloyd

I am going to try that this weekend, but I don't have any of the top bolts, other than the windshield ones. I moved the top back so I could try some bolts I had in it, but couldn't get any of them to thread. It's a crappy top anyways, but I would like to try and get it on for mocking up things.

I am hoping that it isn't the worse part. Cause after the front floors, I have the windshield frame, the bed sides, and the rear floor to take care of...