The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
pbjsammich

1972 GMC Flatbed "Big Red"

I introduce to you "Big Red." Always had a strange fascination with regular cab duallies. Seen a few of the longbeds made into duallies and thought I'd take that approach, but a flatbed work truck just looks cool to me. Wife and I are also restoring a foreclosure house, so functionality of the flatbed works for us.

Been looking for a while. Obviously most of these old work trucks have lead some hard lives. Only came across a handful with the original flatbeds, even more rare to find a rust free one. Well this guy popped up on ebay about a month ago and I threw out a bid and won it. Retired "fire assist" truck from PA. Strangely enough I bought it about 15 miles from where I grew up.

350 with a 4 speed. Clean inside and out. A little surface rust on one of the rockers but nothing serious. Appears to be well cared for. Paint is a little bit tired and it's likely something I'll address in the next few years.

Thought I had a clear direction for this....I have a ZZ383 and T56 sitting in the garage. Was gonna lower it and make it into a bit of a hot rod truck. Now that I have it here, I'm thinking of leaving the stance and maybe go diesel??? The rear bumper thing needs to go and I'll probably lop off some of the length of the bed (check out pics of member rushnbobo truck, my inspiration for this build).

Already had it out on it's first "work" trip. Went to the Conroe swap meet. Picked up one of those two piece grille guards that I stumbled on (appears it was a factory or dealer type option?). Gonna powder coat it and the front bumper.

Anyway, onto pics:

Funny side by side with my bagged 67

Came with the stake sides....might come in handy for work days!

Old 11-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
Number98
Prestige Worldwide

Re: 1972 GMC Flatbed "Big Red"

That is one sweet hauler you have there, I think it looks perfect the way it is! I have been keeping my eye out for a flatbed myself and they are tough to track down for sure.

I will have to follow along with this build!
Number98 is offline   Reply With Quote