The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Dex media is a scam (rant)

I purchased bought out my business a little over 2 years ago. I discovered that one of the partners had us in an advertising contract with several of the yellow page providers. I was able to cancel most of them successfully. The Dex contract was a bit of a problem as it "auto renewed" just one month prior. They said they called my business at 9pm on a Saturday to confirm that I wanted to auto renew. Apparently their attempt to contact is satisfactory to their contract.

I spent the next year paying the bill calling each month to cancel and I was told it was too early. I finally called at the right time and got the contract canceled - or so I thought.

For the past year, I've been fighting with them because they claim I did not cancel the online portion, just the print portion. I was canceling the entire account, but they figured out a way to not cancel everything. Unfortunately, it's my word against theirs and they won. I just settled and (hopefully) got the account canceled.

Their tactics just seem like a last ditch effort by a company with a dieing product to force customers to pay.

I don't know anyone who uses a printed phone book any more and they are more of a nuisance than a service. The city of Seattle reports that disposing of unwanted phone books costs tax payers hundreds of thousands of dollars. I think it's time that phone books go the way of the 8-track and fade away.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:16 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Dex media is a scam (rant)

Hi my name is Bob and im a dinosaur.. i use printed phone books and 411 when i need to.. dont underestimate the potential customers there

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
Sillyoldman

That's a shame that some companies choose to business that way. I've dealt with a few as well. Several years ago my wife called for service on our washer & dryer since the service plan was near expiring. The service guy talked her into a new plan. Later on in the day i found out about it. She was duped into spending $1000.00! I called immediately to cancel. I was told that I could not cancel until it had been processed and that it would take two to three weeks. I called hours later and was given a different time frame. The next time was days later. I demanded help and was hanged up on. I was forced to wait two weeks. When I called back they told me I only had one week to cancel! I let the credit card company take care of it.

I agree that its time to lose phone books. I usually find them in the middle of my driveway. They go straight into the trash.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:12 AM   #4
Shane
Account Suspended

reminds me of America Online ... are they still around?
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:08 AM   #5
Sillyoldman

^Agree

Forgot to mention. I'll take that 8-Track player thats in Bouncy!

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote