The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > S10 S15 Luv Blazer

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

New Blazer, New Problems

I bought a 2001 Blazer at the weekend, its a four door LS 4x4 manual transmission RHD UK spec truck. I'm working through a number of small issues, I've just ordered a new set of window switchs for the drivers door as the drivers switch packed up on the way home (its jammed solid) I've had to pull the ABS fuse as occasionally at low speed it goes nuts and nearly put me into the back of another car yesterday, then the ABS warning light comes on so its turned off until I can check over the sensors and wiring.

I've just ordered the parts to do a full service and tune up so AC Delco double platinum plugs, cap, rotor and leads, and oil, air and fuel filters. Plus it needs the coolant dropping and replacing as it seems to have plain water in at the moment.

My questions are:

What is the easiest way to drain the coolant? Pull the bottom hose? Is there a draintap anywhere?

I understand that the best way to get at the plugs is through the wheel wells any tips welcomed.

What is the best way to change cap, rotor and leads? Access looks a ***** especially as my hands ain't exactly small. Whats the firing order and which way are the cylinders numbered? From the front right hand plug and back and forth or to the back and then round the other side?

Also the rear wiper doesn't work, it sounds like the motor runs but it doesn't move and I tried moving it by hand and it seems to be absolutely solid. Is this a common problem and if so whats likely to be jammed/bust?

Occaisonally the "Service 4wd" light has come on for a short while, the handbook is uber helpful, it just says "if the light comes on then service the 4wd system"! What is likely to need doing?

Any other servicing tips welcomed, I have a bit more of an issue as it has an LPG (propane) conversion so I can't easily remove some of the pipework to get better access plus theres extra gubbins in the engine bay like the control box and vaporiser etc.

Any help welcomed, oh and I'll also be swapping the good but very noisy cheap Forceum A/T tyres for a set of General Grabber AT2's from my last but one Trooper as they happen to be the right size. Should get rid of that nasty rythmic droning.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to pick your brains, I'm really happy I've bought it even with these odd problems, the price was right anyway and it should give me my bowtie fix until I get my truck back on the road.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #2
Arad68
Trucks N Tranzams

Re: New Blazer, New Problems

Check out the S10 forum. Use the search feature. There is a lot of info there.

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/index.php

'68 Chevy LB 383 TH400/GV/373 posi
'56 Chevy 4WD SWB
'64 Chevy short stepside
'79 Trans Am 455/TH2004R/12blt/4whldisc
95 Kia (Wifes car)
2002 S-10 extended cab pickup
"God punishes small sins immediately"
Arad68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:42 AM   #3
stevencvn72
Kill Bill...et

Hey! I've got a '96 that I've owned almost 12 years now. The best car I've ever owned. Anyways, I don't know the answer to all your questions, but for the coolant, I would buy the flush kit (the one to hook up the garden hose to the heater line) I think prestone sells it and it's cheap. There's a petcock on the drivers side of the radiator (engine side) on the bottom. Hook up the hose, turn on the hose, start the Blazer, and run the heater, and let it go for a while with the rad cap off till the water comes out clear. I never run the rear wiper because I have a firm belief it scratches the rear window, but if it were me, I'd turn it on and yank on it to break it free...I mean it's broke anyways . The plugs, you'll have to argue with. Some you can reach through the engine bay, others the wheel well like you said. Don't forget about the retainer clips and remove the air breather so you're not arguing with it. As for the 4WD light, I assume you have the push button 4WD. I do not, but I would start with the fluid in the front diff. however I'm not aware of any sensor in that area. Is 4WD working?

All in all, it just sounds like poor planned maintenance on the PO's part. It wouldn't hurt to run some sea foam through it either to clean it out. Use the brake booster vaccuum line for some and put it in your oil a couple days before you change it. Just follow the directions. Hope this helps out a bit. Good luck!

I Grease

'67 Chev stepper

http://youtu.be/38p_2Iu2fd0
stevencvn72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:41 AM   #4
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

abs issue, un-needed activation (most likely at low speeds, say less than 6 MPH) is caused by the front sensors rust jacking away from hub. remove sensors, plug hole with grease, and clean surface to bare metal. re-clean hole and coat surface with antisieze. reinstall sensor.

cylinder #s are marked on cap.

can't help much with cap removal since you have LPG "stuff". the cap takes a T20 and the rotor takes a T15 torx. I use a socket bit and 2" extension with a stubby ratchet.

rear wipers are a joke. if you want it to work replace the motor (worm gear is stripped). then plan on replacing the arm as they get stuck at the pivot pin area. wait 18 to 24 months then replace the motor again.

the most common problem with the 4x4 is the shift motor (they call it the "encoder")
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

Thanks, thats really helpful. I didn't make myself very clear on the cylinder numbering. What I meant was which actual cylinder is number one? I'f Im stood at the front of the truck facing the engine is number one the front right hand plug, then how does it goe, back and forth or around in a circle?

EDIT: Just googled it, am I right in thinking its

front to back on the driverside, 1-3-5

front to back on pass. side. 2-4-6

except my drivers side is your passengers side!

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_t...#ixzz1CiIEgwaD

I'll clean the ABS sensors out as the problem is exactly as you describe, sudden activation just as you're coming to a stop. (AKA Brown trouser moment when theres a car just in front of you!)

Sounds like the rear wiper will be staying bust for a while then unless I can adapt something else on.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission

Last edited by Lippyp; 02-02-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote