The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2003, 07:26 PM   #1
greasemonkey

electrical problems

After being plagued with various problems with turn signals, brake lights, etc, I finally bought a turn signal switch. Put it in, no big problems installing it. Turn signals work, hazards don't and they did before. Brake lights don't work. Found blown fuse, put new one in, it blows. After three blown fuses, I found that the white wire coming from the turn signal switch was the cause of the problem. I had accidentally pulled off the connector that hooks into the plug before I installed the new switch so I took one off the old switch and crimped it on with a pair of pliers, and had wrapped it up in tape. Two questions: (1) is the hazard lights hooked into the brake lights and that is why they don't work now, and (2) what should I look for to fix the problem of blowing fuses? I know it is the white wire, but how do I fix it?
I appreciate any help,
John
1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500
greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 08:09 PM   #2
blue_69
someday

(1) Yes but im not sure how or where. When you apply the brakes it more or less turns on both turn signals without the flasher

(2)You have a short to ground somewhere. If both turn signals work without blowing a fuse then it must be bettween the turn signal switch brake switch and fuse block. I would carefully check the turn signal switch because thats what you cahnged right before the fuse started blowing. Maybe a pinched wire or terminal on the switch or the wire you pulled out could be touching metal.

Hope this helps
jason

My 72 CST blazer build

72 CST Blazer 4x4
67 2wd swb ( project onion crate )
86 4x4 lwb plow truck
40 x 60 foot barn to work on all this stuff
blue_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 06:42 PM   #3
greasemonkey

Thanks blue_69, I fixed the brake lights, the wire was pinched and grounding out. However, another problem: the brake lights work, BUT the turn signals do not. The hazards worked now. If I pushed halfway down on the hazard button, it would alternate between hazards and turn signals (if I had the turn signals on), but no signals regularly. Then I was messing around trying to fix the turn signals and the hazards stopped working. This is getting really frustrating and is it possible that I got a bad switch? I would like that better than something else being broken. This turn signal switch was supposed to solve my problems, but it is creating more.
Thanks in advance,
John
1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500
greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote