The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2011, 09:47 AM   #1
BigSwid79

454 Q's

I recently purchased my first big block a chevy 454. The engine hasn't ran in a couple years and isn't complete but I got it for next to nothing so i took it. Its got aluminum small dome pistons in it. They look newer to me. The lifters look brand new no wear on them at all so i'm guessing the cam is new too. I was wondering if the block had been bored out and how much it was. I'd like to know what brand the pistons are, and how much bore over they are. They say CB inside the skirt and they have a 100 stamped in top of the piston but i think that is the +.100 dome. Please help me out ! I'm new to the big block world.
BigSwid79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:37 PM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: 454 Q's

Typically the number stamped into the top of the pistons is the size of the over bore. In your case it sounds line they are .100 over, which is a lot. To know for certain you would have to measure the cylinder with either a calipers or a micrometer. The stock bore on a 454 is 4.250. Did you remove the lifters to have a look at them? If so did you return them to their exact original hole? If not you will need new lifters and you will need to breakin the cam again once you get it running again. Don't forget you will need a good breakin additive, and run a oil with suffucient ZDDP threrafter. Of course this is assuming this engine has a flat tappet cam. Then there is another question with an unknown engine......is it a hydraulic lifter cam or is it a solid lifter cam.

If you could post some pics of the pistons and such, that will help in identifying what you have.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote