The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2011, 11:10 PM   #1
geunther

Fender removal/door hinge adjust

Every since I bought my 79 the driver's door has not been quite right. It had really low miles but it really sagged and wouldn't close very well and had a bit of slop. I replaced the upper hinge pin and bushing. That helped the slop, but I have never been able to get the door adjusted the way it is supposed to be. I also replaced the striker because the sagging caused a flat spot from all the door closings

Today I was trying once again to adjust it so I loosened two fender bolts. The one accessible through the open door and the one on top near the hood hinge. When I loosened those two bolts the fender moved back a little. There must have been some rearward pressure. Well, now it is dangerously close to the door and the gap between the door and fender is only about 1/16 to 1/32 inch at the top.

So now my door is whacked out and the fender needs moved back somehow. I've not done it before, but would it be worth it to remove the fender, adjust the door so it is correct and re-install the fender. Or am I over thinking it.

If I remove the fender should I leave the inner-feinder in place. The truck is all original so I would like to remove as few original bolts as possible but want to reduce the risk of damage/scratches. How big a job to take off fender? I do know I have to remove the hood.

Seems like a lot of work to adjust the door but if that is what is necessary I am ok with it.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:42 PM   #2
juiceman650

Re: Fender removal/door hinge adjust

Well the inner fender is bolted to the fender, so if you wana leave it in place you'd have to unbolt it. The bolts that hold it are in the wheel well by the lip of the fender (that's how my 75 is). As for the bolts for the main fender its self, I'm not sure where they are located.
Posted via Mobile Device
juiceman650 is offline   Reply With Quote