The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
El Campo

3 inch exhaust out the back with 4/6 static drop?

Had my truck in the local exhaust shop and they said they can't figure out how to get my 3 inch pipes out the back! Is it possible? I have 4/6 drop with the coil springs and the trailing arms. Anyone have pics of this (ESP chassis pics)? And if it is do you have to put heat shields on bottom of bed? Also I have a cell in the bed and if I have to move pump and filter to make it fit I am fine with it. And no I do not want to just dump them behind cab if don't absolutely have to
Posted via Mobile Device
72 Chevy SWB: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486626 (Attempt/Mistake #2)
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Superglide with 2007 Street Bob front end
2000 Ford F350 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB, 310,000 miles running great (STOLEN St. Patricks Day 2014 AND NEVER RECOVERED)
2002 Ford F250 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB (To replace stolen one)
Hook em Horns!!!
El Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
Redleg

Re: 3 inch exhaust out the back with 4/6 static drop?

Anything is possible. Had one shop flat out refuse to put Duels on the 07 Titan. He said it involved to much bending without moving the spare tire and he just wasnt in the mood to do it.

When i found a shop that would do it i found out why. Ive seen straighter pretzels....

Any extremely lowered vehicle is a pain. had a 4/6 drop on a 98 Ranger right after high school.... That turned out to be a mess running just a single pipe...
Some trucks in the air, some layin' frame.
some are super cool, and some kinda lame.
Some kinda slow, and some really fast.
some run on 110,and some on pump gas!
Redleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Campo View Post
Had my truck in the local exhaust shop and they said they can't figure out how to get my 3 inch pipes out the back! Is it possible? I have 4/6 drop with the coil springs and the trailing arms. Anyone have pics of this (ESP chassis pics)? And if it is do you have to put heat shields on bottom of bed? Also I have a cell in the bed and if I have to move pump and filter to make it fit I am fine with it. And no I do not want to just dump them behind cab if don't absolutely have to
Posted via Mobile Device
These pipes are 2 1/2 BUT 3 in will fit also...I did check! Note the Ball flange under the cab on the drivers side and through the rear cross member on the passenger side in the first pic. The system is hard mounted at those two points on each side and I used a stainless flex coupling between the headers and the exhaust cutouts to allow for movement. Anyone who tells you this can't be done just doesn't know very much. This is a 4/6 static drop using Early classics spindles and springs front and Early classics springs, shocks and super track bar rear.
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
El Campo

Fitz, that's the EXACT lowering kit that I have! That's cool how u went through the crossmember, I never thought of it. I'm study your pics closer and try to due the same. I love the way those stainless tips look hanging out under the roll pan AND I am tired of the desparately loud dumping behind the cab exhausts. It sounds cool from outside but already have bad enough hearing from riding the Harley!
Posted via Mobile Device
72 Chevy SWB: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486626 (Attempt/Mistake #2)
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Superglide with 2007 Street Bob front end
2000 Ford F350 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB, 310,000 miles running great (STOLEN St. Patricks Day 2014 AND NEVER RECOVERED)
2002 Ford F250 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB (To replace stolen one)
Hook em Horns!!!
El Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:48 PM   #5
jerry moss
Born Psycho

i've been in the exhaust business since 1985 and sometimes the customer asks for a job thats not practical or safe. if you are running a wood bed i would refuse to do it for safety reasons. i'd have to see your truck on a lift before i would say yes or no. you need an air gap around the pipe otherwise you will burn something or it'll rattle like he!!.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:52 PM   #6
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Campo View Post
Fitz, that's the EXACT lowering kit that I have! That's cool how u went through the crossmember, I never thought of it. I'm study your pics closer and try to due the same. I love the way those stainless tips look hanging out under the roll pan AND I am tired of the desparately loud dumping behind the cab exhausts. It sounds cool from outside but already have bad enough hearing from riding the Harley!
Posted via Mobile Device
Sounds like this: http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/a...urrent=572.mp4 Since I did this myself I have lots of pics. You do need to make a radiant shield for the bed where it passes through the rear cross member but the truck has about 5K miles since it was finishes...no rattles no burns no BS.

Don't ride a harley but I do ride a slammed stretched chop with an S&S 111 inch stroker and Hooker straight pipes:
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote