The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
Joe Blaze

Looking for new wheels for wider stance

Can anyone advise what specs to look for to get new wheels to go on my '71 Blazer with 6 bolt hubs? I have 32x11.5 tires to put on them.

My current rims keep the tires too far into the body and I would like a wider stance better. What should I look for, and can anyone advise a good online source for them? Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Joe Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
SamMargritz00

Re: Looking for new wheels for wider stance

i would think getting a wheel with the correct offset would make a difference. for a wider stance i think you would need a negative offset wheel.
SamMargritz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:38 PM   #3
Joe Blaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamMargritz00 View Post
i would think getting a wheel with the correct offset would make a difference. for a wider stance i think you would need a negative offset wheel.

When i say wider stance, i guess I mean wider track.What would the correct offset be?
Old 09-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
CTENTA1
Registered 1971 K5

You will need to get a wider rim also. The rim would have to be minimun 10" wide but 12-14" wide rim will do it for sure. Depending on the rim the tire should be minimun 10.5" wide but 12.5 to 14.5 tire for the 12-14" rim. How wide exactly did you want it? Do you have any pics to reference.
CTENTA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
Firebirdjones

The most backspacing you can run (on the front) is roughly 3 1/2" before it starts contacting the outer tierod ends.
So any extra wheel width you run is going to be towards the outside. The wider the rim the more it sticks out.

The front tracks wider than the rear by design, so the only way to even that out would be a different rear wheel with different offset.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
Joe Blaze

OK, so in general, for a 32x12.5 tire, what would be a good rim width, 10"? and what is a good offset to look for? what are the good online places to order rims for our trucks?
Old 09-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
SamMargritz00

if your wanting a wider track, i go with a 10inch wide wheel. when i ordered my wheels for my 72 i went to the nearest store that sold wheels and tires and oredered through them.

heres mine with a 12.50 wide tire on a 10 inch wide wheel. the tires barely go out by couple of inches from my blazer
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
Joe Blaze

Quote:
if your wanting a wider track, i go with a 10inch wide wheel. when i ordered my wheels for my 72 i went to the nearest store that sold wheels and tires and oredered through them.

heres mine with a 12.50 wide tire on a 10 inch wide wheel. the tires barely go out by couple of inches from my blazer
Thanks, i will check out a wheel shop around my way. BTW, Man have to say i always love the incidental background scenery in the photos you country boys post. Looks like that Field of Dreams movie. To me, that stuff is as interesting as the truck.

It sure is nicer than my background scenery.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #9
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Blaze View Post
and what is a good offset to look for?
The most back spacing you can get away with on the front is about 3 1/2 inches.

I run 3 3/8" on mine and I can barely squeeze my pinky finger between the inner wheel lip and the outer tie rod end.

You can run more backspacing on the rear,,,,but why? The rear tires already sit in further than the front anyway by design. Besides, if you had different backspacing from front to back, you couldn't rotate tires unless you break them down from the wheels. Pain in the rump

A 10" rim works nice on a 12.5 tire. I run 8" rims on mine with a 10.5" tire in an attempt to keep as much of the rim and tire under the truck as possible. Saves the paint.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #10
Joe Blaze

yeah, i don't want a lot of backspace, i want the tires to stick out a bit as I like the look of tires that dont sit too deep in the wheelwell.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:21 PM   #11
SamMargritz00

another thing i forgot to mention. when i went in to order those new wheels, only 5 or so out of like 50 would work on our old chevys at the place i went to. im not sure why its that way. The guy i bought mine from called the company about a set of 18x10 wheels i originally wanted and they told him i would need a wheel spacer for it to work. so i settled on the ones i have now.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #12
tples k5

[IMG][/IMG]

I too wanted a wider look. I got rid of the 8 inch ralley wheels and had 10 inch ralleys made. I put the 10 inch ralleys on 32x11.50 BF Goodrich's which were originally on the 8 inch ralley's
tples k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:40 PM   #13
Firebirdjones

Quote:
another thing i forgot to mention. when i went in to order those new wheels, only 5 or so out of like 50 would work on our old chevys at the place i went to. im not sure why its that way. The guy i bought mine from called the company about a set of 18x10 wheels i originally wanted and they told him i would need a wheel spacer for it to work. so i settled on the ones i have now.
That's because there are only a few "off the shelf" wheels made that have the small amount of backspacing that these old trucks require.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:20 AM   #14
Joe Blaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by tples k5 View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

I too wanted a wider look. I got rid of the 8 inch ralley wheels and had 10 inch ralleys made. I put the 10 inch ralleys on 32x11.50 BF Goodrich's which were originally on the 8 inch ralley's
yeah, i like those rims, what are they and how much are they? are they available online?
Old 09-08-2011, 12:49 AM   #15
tples k5

yes they are, and about 130.00 per wheel, not suppose to advertise where I got them so I'll send you a message.
tples k5 is offline   Reply With Quote