The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
hugger6933

Need a little help with build order

I have a 68 GMC that I am changing to a short bed. I have the short frame rolling on 5 lug suspension. The truck is still together and drivable. It was a factory big block [350 now] th400 speed warning,factory air, power steering and brakes with buddy buckets. I have already added the tilt and tac/vac. I am having problems making my mind up in what to do next. I have several parts from parts trucks like the one I bought the frame for. I have the tailgate in E-prime the lh front fender, hood and lh bedside is in highbuild. I have been working on odds and ends as work slowed in my shop. I normally don't have this problem as I have been building wrecks since 1987. I also have a 454 sitting ready to go back into action. I could move on to the doors and get the work done on them or work on the rh bedside that is in e-prime and only about 2-3 hours away from being ready to spray high-build. What to do?any advise will be appreciated and considered. Thanks, Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: Need a little help with build order

I would keep the driver driving.Rebuild/Build the frame and do as much bodywork wiring etc as possible.Then do the swap over.Then paint interior and details.

I think having a driver will help keep you motivated and the resto can be a short time swap over project getting you back to driving in just a couple to a few days.They're a lot more fun to drive than look at in pieces.
Use the leftovers to build a truck to sell to help finance the finishing touches.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote