The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #1
1971ChevyTruck

Help....Power steering issues

Installed an old big block power steering pump on my engine last week and immediately started having issues. The pump runs fine while engine is running but shoots fluid out the top of cap immediately after shutting engine off. I checked the hoses and the fluids and everything seems normal. Any ideas??????
1971ChevyTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Help....Power steering issues

Overfilled maybe??? Do you refill it everytime it burps out fluid?

If fluid level is fine the first thing that comes to mind is that it may be sucking air in from somewhere and pressurizing inside the pump/gearbox. Check all of the connections to make sure they're tight.

If you're sure everything is absolutely tight and no leaks, maybe get rid of all of the fluid and start over with some fresh recommended ps fluid. Sometimes it gets contaminated and foams up.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
1971ChevyTruck

The fluid level is fine, in fact it is really low and it still contiunes to spray out. The fluid is spraying out at high pressure. I will check for air leaks and then drain the system and start over. I might try another cap too. Could it also be a plugged return line??
Old 09-26-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
treveiger

Did you prime the power steering system, are all your fittings tight? How full is it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
1971ChevyTruck

Trying to figure out what you mean by priming. The box was full and the pump was up to the line. All firings are tight and in the right spots. The pump fluid level will not even register on the dipstick now but still sprays out some..this one has me Confused
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
webfoot

Was it all foamy after you shut the truck off or did the blow-up shoot all that stuff out? If you installed a new PS pump, the system needs to have the air bled out. This is done by putting the front end on jackstands and turning the wheels from lock to lock several times with the engine running.

1970 K-20 4-speed, factory AC.
webfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
Sammy

This is a small strainer behind the fitting on the pressure fitting where the line comes out of the pump. Most folks don't never know it is even there. After you remove the fitting it may need to be coaxed out with your small finger. It has a small orfice just blow it out with some air and reinstall it. I don't know if it is causing the problem but can't hurt to check it. Most everyone who has PS pump problems replace the pump and all is needed is to clean that orfice and they usually work fine. Good luck.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:29 PM   #8
cdowns

to first prime i've always had vehicle on jackstands and turned slowly 4-5 times lock to lock with truck running let rest for 15minutes or till i remember then i'd do it again
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:01 PM   #9
hugger6933

turning back and forth to the lock usally does it if not try the "burping proceedure on the late 90's s-10. That is to turn the wheel all the wat to the left and then shut off the engine wait about two minuites and repeat. That is what the goodwrench man told me one time I was having trouble bleeding a ps
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:13 PM   #10
Ackattack

Trying not to hijack this thread, but along the same lines:

I just replaced the power steering gearbox on my 69. Before replacing it, there was a lot of slop, but it turned easily and didn't make any noise.

With the new box, there isn't any slop, but now it whines some times and doesn't have much "power" so it requires excesive force to turn the wheel. I turned the wheels back and forth on jackstands many times. It sounds like its low on fluid, but it has fluid.

Any suggestions.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:44 PM   #11
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
Trying not to hijack this thread, but along the same lines:

I just replaced the power steering gearbox on my 69. Before replacing it, there was a lot of slop, but it turned easily and didn't make any noise.

With the new box, there isn't any slop, but now it whines some times and doesn't have much "power" so it requires excesive force to turn the wheel. I turned the wheels back and forth on jackstands many times. It sounds like its low on fluid, but it has fluid.

Any suggestions.
I figured out my problem. Low on power steering fluid. With the engine off, the air in the system would depressurize and push the fluid back into the pump. Until I looked in the pump with the engine running and seeing that it was "dry" and realized i needed to fill it while it was running. Otherwise, you turn it off to "safely" fill it and again the fluid would back up into the pump. I used a long tranny fluid funnel to fill it to keep my hands back away from the belt, fan, etc.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:27 AM   #12
treveiger

To prime the pump an gear box.
1. Jack up your truck so the tires move freely off the ground, also make sure its stable as you'll be turning the wheels back n forth.(make sure your truck won't roll on you also)
2. Fill the pump to the cold mark an with the engine off and pump cap off turn your wheels from stop to stop 4 or 5 times then check the fluid, if its low fill it up some more an repeat. This step is nice with a buddy because you can have him just watch for air bubbles an keep the fluid level up while your turning your wheels.(once the air bubbles are gone its primed)
3. Once there's no more air in the pump(bubbles are gone) start it up an turn the wheels stop to stop 4 or 5 times then shut it off an check for bubbles again.
4. When there are no more bubbles, set the vehicle on the ground an start it up. Move the tires from stop to stop. They should move easily an freely with little noise. Check the fluid again an take it for a ride around the block. Once back home let it sit for a while then check the fluid one more time an your good to go. That's how I do it, works great for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device