The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
84_chevy

Calipers

I’ve been having trouble finding front calipers for my 84 K10. I bought a set from the local parts store but when I got them home and tried to install the calipers they would not fit, it appears that they are for a C10. I had to wait a week before I had a chance to return the calipers and by that time the original cores that I returned were gone so I now have no way to visual check the new calipers against the old ones. We ordered a new set of calipers for a K10 and they fit on the backer plate with no problems except for one small difference. The bolt hole where the front brake flex lines attaches to the caliper is much smaller than the old set of calipers that were on the truck. I did not measure the thread size but I would guess the old calipers have a 12mm (1/2”) hole for the brake lines and the new calipers have about an 8mm (3/8”) hole.

The question is, will this make any difference, do I still have the wrong calipers for the truck, could the old calipers be wrong? I’m thinking that the PO might have had aftermarket brake calipers installed and that’s why they don’t match up.

I’ve taken a picture of the old brake lines and was wondering if anyone has brake lines like these on their truck and if so where can I find the calipers that match up with them.
Attached Images

84_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
MADMIKE

Re: Calipers

Do recall what size the pistons in the calipers were? 75mm or 80mm?
These two calipers have two different clearances for the banjo fitting. You can verify this by looking at how large your rear drums are. If they are 11" you more than likely have the 75mm calipers, if you have 13" rear drums you more than likely have the 80mm calipers. See if they have two different calipers for your particular model.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
62LS1

Go to www.cardone.com. They have a section on the opening page that allows you to plug in your vehicle and determine the parts available from them for your truck. Cardone parts are available at most parts stores, even in Canada. You should be able to also pull up pictures from the website. If the pics don't appear to match your parts, look around at different, but similar vehicles to see if the PO did some parts swapping.
Also, look at the number to see if the parts store sold ou the right calipers.
Good luck!
Old 03-03-2012, 12:51 AM   #4
84_chevy

For now I'm just gonna order some stock brake lines to match the calipers since they seem to be the only calipers that fit over the brake discs. I'm still a wee bit concerned about correct line pressure and braking performance but I guess I'll figure that out when a moose jumps out in front of me while I'm cruising down the highway a 80mph. Whats the worst that could happen, we all get to eat moose steaks for dinner?
84_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote